UAE from Dubai excursion - is it possible?

soraya

Hi Everyone, We're in Dubai for the day in a few months time. We've been to Dubai a few times and seen most of the sites. We'd really like to see the Louvre in the UAE, but would like some input on whether a shore excursion from Dubai is possible or not a good idea? This cruise doesn't call at the UAE.

Edited by soraya

Dubai is part of the UAE!!! The Louvre Museum is in the cultural area of Abu Dhabi--also part of the UAE--there are many tours that can take you to Abu Dhabi from Dubai. You could also just arrange a car and driver to take you there. There is much more to see in Abu Dhabi than just the Louvre--its very easy to spend a day there.

• Haha 1

Sugarbird is correct. You need to bone up on your geography.  Abu Dhabi is only about 90 min away by car along a decent highway, so there's no reason why you couldn't do it as a day trip. A one way taxi would be about 300 dirhams.  You could check online for return prices for a car and driver.  While there, you might also check out the Sheikh Zayed mosque - one of the most beautiful in the world. 

Thank you for the replies. I was surprised by the tone of the replies about my geography, as I thought cruisecritic is usually helpful. Then I realized that I've put UAE rather than Abu Dhabi all the way through the post & title, sigh - my mistake:classic_rolleyes:

On another forum, I was chatting about the cruise and the folks thereseemed to think that it was too long a trip  when on a cruise rather than staying in Dubai.I would hope to combine the trip with the Sheikh Zayed mosque.

I have found some prices online, but would prefer to do this with a recommendation for a company from cruisecritic members than tripadvisor etc.

10 hours ago, soraya said:

I have found some prices online, but would prefer to do this with a recommendation for a company from cruisecritic members than tripadvisor etc.

The only way you can do that is by scrolling through this board and reading any threads relating to private tours in Dubai/Abu Dhabi that members have posted.  There are several local operators, some of whom the cruise lines themselves use.  I don't understand your reluctance to follow recommendations on tripadvisor - I live here in Dubai and apart from happily answering questions on here for visitors I also post reviews on tripadvisor whenever I visit restaurants, hotels, entertainment venues, local attractions, etc. etc. so you would get exactly the same information from there as you would here...  

A day tour to Abu Dhabi from Dubai is very doable - the two cities are linked by a multi-lane highway and the drive takes no more than 90 minutes so you can easily do the Louvre and Sh. Zayed Grand Mosque.  I did it a few weeks ago with a visiting friend and we even took in a drive along the Corniche after visiting the Louvre and stopped off for lunch before going to the Grand Mosque and then heading back to Dubai..

Anne..

What Anne said.

Very, very easy to do.

Any taxi from Dubai will happily take you to Abu Dhabi. 

Should take an hour or a bit longer.

Fare around 300 AED.

The Louvre is spectacular.  Never mind the stuff inside,  the building alone is worth the trip. Don't buy tix in advance. Easy to buy on the day through machines or at the counter. I prefer the latter, because they often have special such as 2-for-1, or half price offers.

Allow 2 to 3 hours.

From there,  taxi it to Shk Zayed Grand Mosque. Free guided tours or free audio guides are available. Look at the official website for all the info you could possible want.

The mosque is closer to Dubai than the Louvre, so I'd do the museum first.