Airbnb Paris

Lutèce

Below is my reply to a post in the British Isles forum, which I feel might be useful to anyone thinking of a pre- or post- cruise rental in Paris. I think this may also apply to other European cites e.g. Barcelona, so check with your rental agency or Airbnb host.

Regarding Airbnb in Paris, you need to check that it is actually registered with the Mairie de Paris. The authorities have cracked down on short term holiday rentals as it removes properties from the available rental pool for those who might want to rent and live full time in Paris. As of October 2017, it is compulsory for all short term rentals to be registered and they face heavy fines if they don't. So just be aware. It would be upsetting to arrive at your rental and find out that because it was "illegal" , it was no longer available.

I'm sure your rental will be fine, but I couldn't find a registration number on the listing.

Very informative post.  But if Mairie de Paris wants to get some support from tourists, it might help if Mme Hidalgo put their web site up in multiple languages (including English).    I suppose we are somewhat guilty to having rented flats in Paris (not through Airbnb)….but it is difficult not to love this city and want to spend many happy weeks in its environs :).

Hank

To be fair - Mme Hidalgo is Mayor of Paris, in charge of City Hall - not head of tourism.

Is City Hall Washington DC's website multi-lingual??:classic_biggrin:

OTOH the Paris Tourist Information website is multilingual.

I think as well I should have added that it's not unknown for other residents in the apartment block to report short-term rentals to the authorities. And I admit to having some sympathy for them. It must be rather disconcerting to have neighbours who change every few days. That's what I meant about finding your rental unavailable - between your booking and your arrival it might have been reported. We've booked apartments many times in Paris in the past (and would love to live there) , but now we are aware of this situation, we are diligent in checking that they have a registration number. It's not just Airbnb - any agency who has short term rentals should have a registration number for each property.

Very much a case of 'Caveat emptor'!

• Thanks 1