Eagle Ray Divers Review

familyplanner

Our group of 12 used eagle ray divers this past week on our cruise. We booked a 3 reef snorkel/dive. No one in our group smokes or drinks alcohol and we were very impressed that our guides refrained from it out of respect. They took us to the planacar(sp?) reefs. We had 5 discover scuba divers and 2 certified. Then we had 5 snorkelers. The boat ride out was kind of slow and long, but beautiful. The damage to resorts is unimaginable along the beach. They gave the discover scuba divers a course on the boat. When we got to our first spot they let the snorkelers out and then dropped us all in the water to practice basic scuba techniques. We had some first time snorkelers with us who were terrified of jumping out of the boat. They wouldn't get out of the boat at all because the only way offered was to jump out of the boat. Perhaps if they had a platform it would have made a difference. My only complaint was that they had one dive master for all 7 divers and we really needed at least one more. The water was warm and the diving and snorkeling absolutely amazing. After our first dive we went to a second reef. We were offered a second tank for $40 which 3 of us took. We did a wall dive and went down 40 feet. This was truly amazing. It was my first dive and I wanted to go even deeper. I was amazed at 40 ft down I could still see the surface. We saw lots of beautiful coral, fish and even a few barracuda. Having never been to Cozumel prior to Wilma, I can't make an evaluation of the reefs, but some damage was apparent. After our second reef we went and at lunch at planacar beach. The food was so delicious and we enjoyed visiting with our guides. As we were finishing lunch we could see a rain storm coming our way off in the distance. They asked us if we wanted to do the 3rd reef, but with the storm fast approaching and the time we opted to just head back to shore so we could have at least 45 minutes to shop before we needed to get back on the ship. The only part of the excursion which was out of eagle rays hands which I did not enjoy was the storm. We laughed and joked until the storm overtook us. We were in a smaller boat and the waves were really knocking us around. Then the fog came in and we could not see land. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that they did not have gps. We seemed to be going in circles and they had no idea which way was land. I don't know how they figured it out but after about 5 minutes we were out of the fog and could see land. We were all grateful to be able to get on land. I would not hesitate to use eagle ray divers again. However, with the current ship schedules like carnival that have you leaving at 4:00 pm local time I would only reccommend a 2 reef excursion. Also if you see weather coming your way, I would either wait it out on the beach or head for shore.;)

We had the exact same thing happen to us. The weather got ugly mid way through. They just took us to another reef close to shore so technically we did 3. They probably would have refunded the diferrence but we had such a good time, we didn't ask for it.

Lisa,

They asked us if we wanted to do another reef, but we had already been out almost 6 hours and wanted to have an hour or so to shop. To answer your question, no we did not get a refund. However, we did have 3 people bail on the excursion that morning and Chellie was kind enough to only charge them the non-refundable $10. If you are looking for a snorkeling excursion eagle ray would be an excellent choice.:) I can't remember, but I think the difference the difference is only $15 and the lunch on the beach was yummy and beautiful. You can check out their website eagleraydivers.com

I just want to add to FamilyPlanner - we booked the 2 reef tour that day with Eagle Ray and also had a wonderful time. We snorkeled at the south end of the island in 45 ft of water and could see clear to the bottom - it was great. The storm came in while we were between reefs - but it was COLD! Our second reef was paradise reef - 15 feet of water and the colorful fish we saw there were beautiful! Chellie was great as far as correspondance in the weeks before the trip - we were originally booked for 3 reefs but with our ship departure be cut we cut it back to just 2. We were actually out from 9 am to almost 2 pm local time - it was only supposed to be until 12 or 1 but we were enjoying ourselves so no hurry. The guide we had was great - he hasn't been with Eagle Ray all that long, but he was very informative and answered any questions we had. Like FamilyPlanner - we found the damage along the cost line to be alot worse than I imagined based on what people said on the boards. From the marina we left out of - to the south end of the island none of the hotels were open. Our guide said only the small hotels in town were up and running. Most didn't have windows or doors. This had no real impact on our day though;)

I did Eagle Ray last Feb, and it was great. I don't know if this is only in Feb, but at the second reef, we were overrun by little jellyfish. Everyone got stung that was with us. Before we left we changed our minds and did 2 instead of three, and she only charged us for the two. They were such nice people. Has anyone else seen jellyfish there, or was it a freak occurence? I'm just wondering because we're going back next feb, and I love snorkling, but not in jellyfish!

Jellies are unpredictable. It kind of depends on weather, storm fronts, currents, etc. They go away when the turtles start coming in in greater numbers to lay eggs. They feed on the little thimble jellies, which are such and annoying nuisance but often unavoidable.

The good thing is that unless you're allergic to them, they're not the dangerous kinds of jellies. The "sting" feels like little pinpricks.

As for going back next Feb., don't let the thought of jellies stop you. As I said, it's hit and miss. We've experienced them in both November and April but not so much in June.

I went two years ago in early March and am going again in two weeks. I'll be doing the three stop snorkling tour again with Eagle Ray. There were those little "jelly" thingies in the water then but they didn't bother me or my dh. I guess they are bothersome to some. A swimsuit is fine. I think the web site suggests a website only because the water might be a little more "cool" this time of year.

I did Eagle Ray last Feb, and it was great. I don't know if this is only in Feb, but at the second reef, we were overrun by little jellyfish. Everyone got stung that was with us. Before we left we changed our minds and did 2 instead of three, and she only charged us for the two. They were such nice people. Has anyone else seen jellyfish there, or was it a freak occurence? I'm just wondering because we're going back next feb, and I love snorkling, but not in jellyfish!

A good argument for wearing a rash guard shirt while snorkeling. It protects from little stingy things as well as provides some UV protection and warmth. They're made of poly, so they wick water away and don't absorb it like Tee shirts do.

Uh, oh. We're booked to do a snorkel tour with them. We've never snorkled before. We just thought that you wore a swimsuit. Is this wrong?

kcmom

Since this is a boat snorkel, which most operators describe as "advanced", practice in a swimming pool before the boat trip. Become thoroughly familar with fitting your mask and breathing air, not water.:rolleyes:

If you get comfortable with the snorkel gear in the pool, and are a good swimmer, you shouldn't have any trouble in deep water.

Don't worry about going in the water without a ladder or platform. You merely step off the side of the boat. You can practice this in the pool, too. Put on your mask and with your hand hold the front of the mask so it stays on when you enter the water. You've probably seen this done on film or live. It's quite easy after a little practice.

Your cruise ship may offer a beginning snorkel session on board. I know Princess and NCL do. Be sure to attend.

I snorkeled with Eagle Ray last March and echo the OP's comments. Eagle Ray operators are first rate. The snorkel guide will take good care of you. You are in for an amazing experience. Relax and enjoy it.

Boater's World sells a combination SPF 30 sunscreen/ jellyfish deterrent called Safe Sea for $10. I bought some for my upcoming cruise. I would hate to ruin my day because of jellyfish! Though I've never been stung by one, I have an awful reaction to any kind of bee or wasp sting, so I'm not taking any chances!

Okay, I'm getting the sunscreen/jellyfish stuff and I think I might go ahead and get some divesuits, just in case. The owner of the local dive shop said that he had never had any jellyfish problems in Cozumel, but he also said that they have several suits on sale right now if I want to come on in.

I might have done a little more than we are ready for, but I'm not cancelling now. From what I have read, their guides are wonderful with first time people.

kcmom

Dont cancel,,,,,they really are wonderful,,,,my sister in law has down syndrome and is 32 years old,,,,,they took such good care of her, making sure she was confortable in the water, they also stuck very close to her (and us) and brought up cool things for us to see and stuff like that,,they are very good with people who arent very comfortable in the water,,dont worry, they review snorkeling with you, and if you want to climb down the ladder, they will let you, dont be afraid to ask!!:)

Archived