Prague pre cruise

Rellyrooly

On 1/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, hbr777 said:

Johnny's Tours was great - my husband did a night one a couple of years ago. The price went up so much this year that he didn't repeat it.

He's doing great business and winning a lot of awards for his business so I can understand why the price has gone up.

3 hours ago, 1stimecruiser said:

mskaufman, we would like to see photos.  Did you do any extra tours and if so what cities and what is not to be missed.  What hotel did you stay at in Prague?   thanks for answering questions and sharing your experience.  Wanda & Mike

You didn't ask me...but we stayed in an AirBnB right on Old Town Square and it was absolute heaven!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/1151056?location=Old Town%2C Prague%2C Czech Republic&guests=1&adults=1

Not sure why it says there's a fireplace...I don't remember there being one, but the view out that living room is to die for.

Edited by Rebel54

5 hours ago, 1stimecruiser said:

mskaufman, we would like to see photos.  Did you do any extra tours and if so what cities and what is not to be missed.  What hotel did you stay at in Prague?   thanks for answering questions and sharing your experience.  Wanda & Mike

We did the Viking tour to Terezin.

We stayed at the Corinthian.  It was a bit out of town (across the street from a subway station).  However, Viking ran a shuttle to the main square every hour.

Here is a link to our pictures

https://rivercruiseonthedanube.shutterfly.com/pictures

6 hours ago, 1stimecruiser said:

mskaufman, thank you for sharing the link to your beautiful pictures!  Made me want to go on our River Cruise sooner!

Glad you enjoyed them.  Have a great cruise and if I can answer anything else, happy to do so.

11 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Glad you enjoyed them.  Have a great cruise and if I can answer anything else, happy to do so.

Another question.  What extra pay excursions did you take and did you feel they were worth the money?  I know we want to take the Mozart & Strauss Concert and the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna.  There are so many extra pay to choose from having a hard time deciding what is not to be missed.  Any suggestions from others experience would be appreciated.

12 hours ago, 1stimecruiser said:

Another question.  What extra pay excursions did you take and did you feel they were worth the money?  I know we want to take the Mozart & Strauss Concert and the Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna.  There are so many extra pay to choose from having a hard time deciding what is not to be missed.  Any suggestions from others experience would be appreciated.

While on the Prague extension we went to Terezin and felt it was well worth the money.  We also signed up for the Weltenberg Abbey.  The abbey was nice however, due to water levels we did not go on the boat ride.  That made it less worthwhile. The pictures are on the link already sent.

I did the Avalon Magnificent Danube pre cruise in Prague last May. I loved Prague, and since I am an avid beader my priority was to see Czech beads being made and shopping for some. I contacted Bananas4Beading and took a wonderful tour to Jablonec. Not only did I get to see beads being made but also got to make a flame work bead myself. Brought home some gorgeous beads too!  I also took a Hop On Hop Off tour so getting around was great fun! 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, Rebel54 said:

We spent a full week there and I wish we could have been there longer and I've already been there 6 times!  SOOO much to do.  We did a food tour with Taste of Prague, a photography tour, traced some of the locations in the movie Operation Daybreak.  Went to Terezine one day.  You can do so much there.  

Did you book the food tour on your own or through your cruise line? Avalon offers one but I am not sure it is the same as the one I saw on Viator that had great reviews. I am wondering if it is best to book on my own.

7 hours ago, ScootandJen said:

Did you book the food tour on your own or through your cruise line? Avalon offers one but I am not sure it is the same as the one I saw on Viator that had great reviews. I am wondering if it is best to book on my own.

It was on my own.  https://www.tasteofprague.com/  They were amazing.  Can't recommend the or the tour enough.

We spent three nights in Prague pre cruise.  We were able to  pay for the transportation through AMAWaterways to get to our ship from Prague.  Here is thee first of three posts that i wrote on our activities pre cruise in Prague, including a cooking lesson in a home:  https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/prague-in-3-12-days/