Cozumel overcrowding

Quithan

We are on the Norwegian Sun and going to Cozumel on 3/30/06. Checked the following website to find out there are a total of 9, count 'em, 9 ships in port that day!!! http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.aspx

How can they accept 9 ships on one day? That just seems crazy to me and unfair to everyone who will experience a terribly overcrowded Cozumel that day. Aren't ther some limits as to how many people a city can accomodate?

We are on the Norwegian Sun and going to Cozumel on 3/30/06. Checked the following website to find out there are a total of 9, count 'em, 9 ships in port that day!!! http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/default.aspx

How can they accept 9 ships on one day? That just seems crazy to me and unfair to everyone who will experience a terribly overcrowded Cozumel that day. Aren't ther some limits as to how many people a city can accomodate?

First off, there cruisecal is a great website but not entirely accurate. There have been many changes to the cruise lines itineraries due to Wilma and none of the ships changes have been even noted on the site.

We've been there when there was 7 ships and honestly it was fine. Not all docked at the same dock so the crowds were a bit dispersed and remember, a lot of people end up leaving the island to go to the mainland.

I've sure there is a fair number of passengers that just stay on the ship as well, just because they don't want to tender and/or believe the misinformation about Cozumel being "totally destroyed" by the hurricane.

Also, you won't all be forced to stay in town or all go to the same beach club.

You are right, it is easier to enjoy Cozumel when there are fewer or even zero ships there, but that isn't the real world. You can easily have a good time there even with a hoard of ships there, if you plan well and have reasonable expectations.

I have been in Cozumel with about 9 ships in port at a time (at different piers) and though crowded everywhere, still managed to have a blast each time. It wasnt unbearable anywhere. If there end up being 9, you will still have FUN!!!! :)

We were in Coz the week after Christmas and there were 6 ships at tender if I recall correctly. Get off early and go to the beach to get chairs and umbrellas. Waiting until after lunch would not be a good idea. I thought I read they were limiting the tender process to six ships until they get some of the docks rebuilt. Regardless you can still have a blast. Our family of 5 went to Paradise beach and even though people were leaving because they could not find a chair the second they arrived, we gave it a try and with in 20 minutes had our own chairs and umbrellas to call home for the afternoon (thanks again PB Tom). So if it happens to you, chill out with a cold one of your liking and remeber you are on vacation. Also of note the action in carlos and charlies later that day was not lacking :eek:

Thanks for your replies. I just love this website! I wish I'd found it before cruising in the past. We do plan to get off early head to PB and then do the snorkel trip. Can't wait to meet the infamous Tom!!! My husband and I spent a week in Cozumel 7 years ago and I can't wait to show my kids what a beautiful place it is and see it again for ourselves. Happy cruising, Alison

Archived