Pre-cruise Hotel

nightnurse

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

The Laylow is a nice enough as a physical place, but the location isn't what I'd want in Waikiki. For about the same, or a little bit more, this far out, you can be on the beach in Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki Beach, or across from the beach at the Marriott Waikiki Beach or Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep my eyes open, but for right now those are all more than I want to spend for the type of room we want. I’m not that concerned about location because we’re being picked up at 8:00 the morning after we arrive. 

30 minutes ago, nikel said:

We are doing the same kind of thing...have a placeholder hotel for now.  Hyatt Place, also includes breakfast and is pretty close to the beach.  When I looked up the Laylow, they would only quote me non refundable.

My rate is refundable, but it might be because I used AAA.

1 hour ago, Cindy said:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep my eyes open, but for right now those are all more than I want to spend for the type of room we want. I’m not that concerned about location because we’re being picked up at 8:00 the morning after we arrive. 

My rate is refundable, but it might be because I used AAA.

I always book refundable rates also but there is most often a date prior to your arrival which gives you a total refund.  Most hotels in Hawaii are 3, 7 or 14 days prior to arrival.  You might want to check if you have a cancellation date.  And, I don't think there is anything like a free breakfast,  the Laylow has a AAA rate with and without breakfast.  You might just check the Marriott website.  Have a great trip.  Cherie

Edited by cccole

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/14/2019 at 4:09 PM, scottca075 said:

The Laylow is a nice enough as a physical place, but the location isn't what I'd want in Waikiki. For about the same, or a little bit more, this far out, you can be on the beach in Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki Beach, or across from the beach at the Marriott Waikiki Beach or Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized I don’t want to spend my first night ever in Hawaii looking at other buildings because I’m a few blocks from the beach. I’m still trying not to go much over $400, but I want an ocean view, and it’s only one night so I’m going to splurge!

I found a really good AAA deal on a room in the newly renovated tower at the Marriott, so I have that reserved but I’m looking at others. The Hyatt has a decent rate, and I’m going to keep an eye on the Outriggers and the Sheraton to see if I can grab a deal as my trip gets closer. I would prefer one of the last two since they’re ON the beach instead of across the street from the beach, but I may not be able to get a room I want there at my price point. If I can’t get ON the beach and need to be across the street from the beach, do you think the location of the Marriott or the Hyatt is better?

On 7/14/2019 at 5:50 PM, Cindy said:

Lots of time before my cruise means plenty of time to obsess over the details!😂

A couple suggestions for those looking for ocean front properties in Waikiki...not one of the hotels across the street.  Join the loyalty programs for Marriott and Outrigger and see what their rates are.  Check out the Waikiki Shore by Outrigger.  Besides loyalty program discounts there are usually discounts for seniors and AAA.  I am sort of a Waikiki snob and love being able to land at HNL, take a $35 taxi, and have sand between my toes within an hour.  JMO  Cherie 

p.s.  In response to Cindy...we have stayed at both the Marriott and Hyatt across from the beach and I think the Hyatt is a nicer property.

The Hyatt Regency is a nicer property than the Marriott and a better location, but the Marriott is fine.

You can also get great ocean views a block back from the beach in places like the Hilton Waikiki Beach assuming you get one of the rooms up high.