Pride of America - Drink Package

Sailing12Away

Ok, so I'm confused and hoping the very knowledgeable folks here will be able to clarify for me. For sailings on the Pride of America, is alcohol included with the "Hawaii Beverage Package" (up to $15) or not? I know the rules were changed for sailings starting in 2019, but still can't clarify if alcohol is included.

When I booked my upcoming sailing just last night, the cruise consultant and I were joking about needing to have the free alcohol package and at no point did he say that alcohol was excluded on the POA sailings. On the details page from NCL's website though, it specifically does not state that alcohol IS included. So now I'm confused, and concerned that I've promised my other 3 travelers something that isn't there.

"Enjoy a wide selection of beverages including fountain soda, juice, and non-alcoholic beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise."

13 minutes ago, paul18222 said:

Since this cruise is always in Hawaiian waters, are the drinks taxed, as if you are in a port, like NY City? 

We paid tax on our drinks (all inclusive booked in the U.K.).

That doesn’t mean that this will definitely be the case with US bookings, but I would expect to pay it if I were you.

1 hour ago, paul18222 said:

Since this cruise is always in Hawaiian waters, are the drinks taxed, as if you are in a port, like NY City? 

We have the 'free' drink package, and had to pay tax/gratuities of $19/person/day at the time of booking. I assume buying drinks on an individual basis would be similar charges.

2 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

We have the 'free' drink package, and had to pay tax/gratuities of $19/person/day at the time of booking. I assume buying drinks on an individual basis would be similar charges.

What you paid upfront just covered gratuities/tip/whatever people want to call them. It’s nothing to do with tax.

tax is paid per drink as you consume them.

4 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

$19/day is gratuities. If you are in many US ports, you pay an additional Tax on top of your gratuities (i.e., $19 <> tax/gratuities) 

Bird travels is correct. Some ports charge a sales tax on drinks, until you are outside the governing waters. That's what I am wondering. If you have the drink package, in Hawaiian waters, will you have to pay sales tax for every drink purchased?

1 hour ago, paul18222 said:

Bird travels is correct. Some ports charge a sales tax on drinks, until you are outside the governing waters. That's what I am wondering. If you have the drink package, in Hawaiian waters, will you have to pay sales tax for every drink purchased?

As stated in my previous post, we were charged the tax per drink.

My family and I are taking this cruise in late June and are considering adding the perk of unlimited drinks (Hawaiian beverage package) free drinks. Could anyone provide more information? I am looking at what type of liquor, beer-draft and bottle, wine selections, cocktails and a pricing guideline. Thank you. We are trying to determine if its still worth paying the tax or not. Also, some areas say bottled water is included, is that true? Thank you. 

So..... did the laws change?  At the time of booking in April 2018, I was told that PoA didn't offer unlimited drink packages due to Hawiian laws.   Now, if I purchase the Hawiiam Beverage Package for a crazy price of $800 CAD, I get alcohol, and 2 at a time???

Someone please clarify......  

This is like the drone discussion I started and still don't have an answer.  

4 hours ago, dssking said:

So..... did the laws change?  At the time of booking in April 2018, I was told that PoA didn't offer unlimited drink packages due to Hawiian laws.   Now, if I purchase the Hawiiam Beverage Package for a crazy price of $800 CAD, I get alcohol, and 2 at a time???

Someone please clarify......  

This is like the drone discussion I started and still don't have an answer.  

I don’t think the laws have changed. NCL just seem to have found a way around them.

My guess (and it’s only a guess as NCL are never going to explain it all to us) is that it is related to the introduction of all inclusive in Europe.

When they introduced that they seem to have wanted all inclusive to apply everywhere with no exclusions in Hawaii, for example. Somehow they found a way to be able to offer us the beverage package. They have now been able to extend that to others.

As a result, there are many people like yourself who were unable to select the beverage package as a promo when you booked, but are now being offered it for purchase. The same thing happened when they started the promos years ago, where people who booked earlier had to buy a package which later bookers got for nothing.

I assume it’s too late to cancel and rebook with the package?

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I don’t think the laws have changed. NCL just seem to have found a way around them.

My guess (and it’s only a guess as NCL are never going to explain it all to us) is that it is related to the introduction of all inclusive in Europe.

When they introduced that they seem to have wanted all inclusive to apply everywhere with no exclusions in Hawaii, for example. Somehow they found a way to be able to offer us the beverage package. They have now been able to extend that to others.

As a result, there are many people like yourself who were unable to select the beverage package as a promo when you booked, but are now being offered it for purchase. The same thing happened when they started the promos years ago, where people who booked earlier had to buy a package which later bookers got for nothing.

I assume it’s too late to cancel and rebook with the package?

I called and spoke to a rep about that. She said that I could cancel and rebook but that I’d risk losing the room to someone else during the process. Also, when I considered the cost (the price has gone up quite a bit), and the number of drinks we’d actually be able to consume during such a port intensive cruise, I realized I was better off keeping our original booking and just paying for drinks as we go. 

At $99 per day, is it really worth it?  I've always purchased the package on past  cruises (on various cruiselines).   It's certainly nice to have, not having to worry about what your bar bill will be at the end of the cruise, however, this time around,

I'm opting not. 

Many say this is a port intensive cruise whereby you're off every day.  On my past cruises, there were ONE sea day.  Really

doesn't change anything for me in terms of beverage purchases.  We board from a day exploring......I'll grab a drink and head to the room to get ready for dinner.... one with dinner etc......

$99 is pricey but they're doing it that way becuase they know people share drinks, which is why they're allowing 2 per visit.   I typically pay $50 pp pd. 

1 minute ago, dssking said:

At $99 per day, is it really worth it?  I've always purchased the package on past  cruises (on various cruiselines).   It's certainly nice to have, not having to worry about what your bar bill will be at the end of the cruise, however, this time around,

I'm opting not. 

Many say this is a port intensive cruise whereby you're off every day.  On my past cruises, there were ONE sea day.  Really

doesn't change anything for me in terms of beverage purchases.  We board from a day exploring......I'll grab a drink and head to the room to get ready for dinner.... one with dinner etc......

$99 is pricey but they're doing it that way becuase they know people share drinks, which is why they're allowing 2 per visit.   I typically pay $50 pp pd. 

Very few people pay the $99 per day, as the package is offered as a promo and you only pay the 20% service charge instead. As it has just been introduced on the Hawaii cruises it means that there are some people like the poster above who booked before it was offered and therefore don't have it as promo. Nobody on this thread appears to be considering paying the full price.

The generally accepted theory as to why it is so expensive (which I tend to agree with) is that the more the package costs, the more the 20% charge is.

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The generally accepted theory as to why it is so expensive (which I tend to agree with) is that the more the package costs, the more the 20% charge is.

True.  It's steep.  How much will you really consume?  Even 5 per evening...... which isn't out of the realm of possiiblities.......There's your $50 per person.  However, my wife MAY have 1 or 2..... so. 

I'll pay as I go.  If I surpass it, oh well.  It's vacation. It is what it is...... If I have to think about every drink I consume and the cost, I should rethink the whole vacation then........... (well that's one school of thought).

2 minutes ago, dssking said:

True.  It's steep.  How much will you really consume?  Even 5 per evening...... which isn't out of the realm of possiiblities.......There's your $50 per person.  However, my wife MAY have 1 or 2..... so. 

I'll pay as I go.  If I surpass it, oh well.  It's vacation. It is what it is...... If I have to think about every drink I consume and the cost, I should rethink the whole vacation then........... (well that's one school of thought).

Having had the package on the POA this year, we certainly got our moneys worth (we had to cancel and rebook to get it and it cost a few hundred pounds more).

We certainly drank a lot less than usual on a cruise, but still a drink when we got back onboard. A glass or two of wine with dinner and then another couple of drinks in the evening would add up if we were paying by the glass.

After all of this discussion I am still unclear.  The people booking us made it very clear that the "free" promo all you want drinks does NOT include alcohol on Pride of America and that you pay the 20% gratuity and all you get is water, soda and juice.  Who on earth would pay the full price of over $800 for water juice and soda?  

Online it says water juice soda and non alcoholic beer

Are they not telling us something or what?

https://www.ncl.com/terms/hawaii-beverage-package

terms and conditions as of today.  Hawaii ubp is a perk and for now anyway, includes alcoholic beverages up to $15, soda, juices, water bottles sparkling and still and specialty coffee with meals. Not sure what’s going to happen with the changes but for now anyway,  the pkg can be appealing for even a non alcoholic drinker or a lite drinker.  

My pcc said the Pride of America bookings have really increased since this pkg was introduced.