Samur Snorkel

pna

Has anyone done this excursion in the last couple years.   All the reviews I find are very positive, but very old.  We are looking for a snorkel excursion in Bonaire in February.    Two of them I am interested via ship excursions won't take you if you are over 70.   Note:   I personally am in better shape than many 50 year olds, but nonetheless.....!   Woodwind has been full since August.   The only other two snorkel excursions via ship are Exclusive Sailboat which I can't imagine is really worth $130 but I could be wrong.   Please chime in if you have done it.   The other option is the Catamaraan which does the National Park not Klein Bonaire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on Samur some years ago. We did not like it at all.

I did a search of posts here, and unless things have changed, things are as reviewed...old boat (yes I get that it is historic) , rough shape, sitting on the wooden floor, climb into the Zodiac, climb up the side of the boat (no ladder, as I recall), and so on.

I do not recall if there are "facilities".

I do remember the captain blasting Pink Floyd, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I must say was unexpected on a boat in the southern islands filled with cruise ship passengers. 

There are many nicer and easier ways to drift snorkle the reefs, even the Water Taxi from in town was a better option, in my opinion. The one time I took it, the captain took us to the beach access area to drop our stuff, then we got back on the boat and he  took us up to the beginning of the drift area so we could easily swim back.  

OP...have you checked with Compass Sailing Bonaire? I've done Woodwind many times, but am considering Compass for my next trip in the fall just for a change. 

BTW, the national park is Klein Bonaire, all waters around both islands are protected.

The underwater world around Bonaire is just beautiful, I hope you all find a way to get out there. Even shore snorkeling from the Plaza Resort or others is better than any you will see anywhere in the Caribbean. 

If you go that way, bring water shoes, the entries can be rocky.

5 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I was on Samur some years ago. We did not like it at all.

I did a search of posts here, and unless things have changed, things are as reviewed...old boat (yes I get that it is historic) , rough shape, sitting on the wooden floor, climb into the Zodiac, climb up the side of the boat (no ladder, as I recall), and so on.

I do not recall if there are "facilities".

I do remember the captain blasting Pink Floyd, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but I must say was unexpected on a boat in the southern islands filled with cruise ship passengers. 

There are many nicer and easier ways to drift snorkle the reefs, even the Water Taxi from in town was a better option, in my opinion. The one time I took it, the captain took us to the beach access area to drop our stuff, then we got back on the boat and he  took us up to the beginning of the drift area so we could easily swim back.  

OP...have you checked with Compass Sailing Bonaire? I've done Woodwind many times, but am considering Compass for my next trip in the fall just for a change. 

BTW, the national park is Klein Bonaire, all waters around both islands are protected.

The underwater world around Bonaire is just beautiful, I hope you all find a way to get out there. Even shore snorkeling from the Plaza Resort or others is better than any you will see anywhere in the Caribbean. 

If you go that way, bring water shoes, the entries can be rocky.

Thank you so much for your insight on this excursion.  I was a little skeptical before we booked it since they never give enough information.  We will look again for another snorkel trip but we like to take the ship's excursions in case things go awry.

Are thinking of cancelling and doing the Exclusive Sailboat.   In another post someone said it was a very small group, which would be great.   However the description says nobody in water with you, they just watch from the deck.

Edited by pna

1 hour ago, pna said:

Are thinking of cancelling and doing the Exclusive Sailboat.   In another post someone said it was a very small group, which would be great.   However the description says nobody in water with you, they just watch from the deck.

We just cancelled the Samur snorkel trip.  Too much climbing up and down into and out of the boats.  We booked the Catamaran Scenic Sail tour at Marine Park istead.  Nowhere did it say there was snorkeling included until you actually clicked on it to read the description, otherwise we would have booked it originally.

I cancelled Samur.  We are early 70s but in good physical shape and some of them don't allow those over 70.    Thinking of going for the Exclusive one.  We too take ship excursions.   Did try for Woodwind a while ago but they were booked in August.