Anyone just returned from a New Years Eve Cruise?

sidekick180

Hello All,

I am considering booking a cruise to celebrate the next New Year. The only two cruises that I have found with P&O for 2019/2020 New Year are both destined for Brugges. I just wondered if anyone had been on a cruise over the recent New Year and if so, was it to Brugge. I would love to hear what your thoughts were for the atmosphere during the cruise and what it was like in general.

The cost of the New Year 3 night cruise is quite high so I don't really want to spend that much money if it's not worth it. I have never done a New Year cruise before, so I have no idea what to expect. any information or insights would be greatly received. Thanks

VENTURA (N938) 29 Dec 2019 - 03 Jan 2020

Cruise itinerary : 2 ports

Southampton Hamburg Bruges Southampton

ARCADIA (J921) 29 Dec 2019 - 03 Jan 2020

Cruise itinerary : 2 ports

Southampton Amsterdam Bruges Southampton   ( Red is your New Year Port)

We have done New Year cruises for a few years now and look forward to them each year,we have even booked this years New Year before we'd even stepped foot on the Oceana for our cruise just gone as we enjoy them so much.

Over the years we have been to Brugges many times and do our own thing ,shops and Bar hopping was one of our past times. My advice would be keep out of the Bars in the Market square with landmark medieval bell tower, they were much cheaper a few streets away. We used to head for the T-Zand square , nice places to eat and drink along that square.

Getting to the stage where if the weather is not to our liking we are just as content to stay onboard as quite a few passengers do.

Although both ships go to Brugges one will go to Amsterdam whilst the other ship heads for Hamburg and again this is a nice port to visit which we hope to explore even more this year. It's worth noting that both ships dock on NewYears eve and so any exploring is best done early as the shops and public transport tend to close down early due to the locals wanting enjoy the New year as well as the Fireworks that they have .

The fire works look well viewed from the ship again dependant on the weather and a word of warning would be that,be very happy if you do see them .

A few years ago we had a cruise to nowhere on the Ventura . We just roamed the North Sea as the winds were too strong to dock at any of our intended ports . Some people were gutted but we knew this could happen but we enjoy the ships.

A cruise we booked and cruise was what we got.. just no stops.

New year eve is Black Tie Night and New Year Gala meal and the ship is in party mode balloon's, hats and streamers etc everywhere not even the buffet escapes and on the night it just happened to be Indian night ...

Just happened to be our favourite food .

You just knew it was going to be good when the show team turned up for a quick curry before they went to perform around the ship and it was a very good meal , finished off with Indian ice cream .

In short they must be doing something right or we would not keep booking them.

Not saying they are the best you can do, we would love to do Madeira New Year

again (another location /time and cruise) but for a short cruise we opt for P&O.

Remember to chill out or party ..It's your cruise ..Enjoy!

I made a short film that shows the ships decoration and I note that someone filmed

us sailing away during the fireworks .

https://youtu.be/YBun7VeWx5k and https://youtu.be/W8iz_Ai9PYI?t=38

Edited by kalos

A 5 day new year cruise on the Oceana to Hamburg and Bruges. Food was excellent throughout all the restaurants and buffet outlets,rooms were comfy warm and kept exceptionally clean. The entertainment was ok in both theatres except for New Year’s Eve when the only entertainment laid on at midnight was to stand out in the rain and watch the fireworks over Hamburg. Nothing laid on by P&O, we went to the pub after 12 as there was a sing a long around the piano advertised only to find there was no music on at all, the main atrium area was exactly the same as the other nights. Eventually they put some music on,very quietly, in the pub with ironic cheers from the people that were desperate for a bit of a party atmosphere. After a couple of quiet drinks we decided to try to liven up a bit with a trip to the night club. The dance floor was taken over by the entertainment staff who were obviously having a wonderful time. New Years gala dinner was lovely,the food was exceptional ,everyone was dressed up for a special evening it’s just a shame that everyone was left a bit flat with the total lack of anything resembling a New Years knees up.

We have just returned from the Oceana cruise to Hamburg and Bruges. 

The ship looked lovely with all the Christmas decorations and there was definitely a party feel leading up to NYE.

We were told the shops would close around 2pm on NYE in Hamburg and we had to be back on board at 11.30pm (I think) but the last shuttle was 8 or 8.30. We had been allocated first seating dining (which we have never been allocated and probably reflects the different demographic of passengers compared to our previous cruises) but for NYE the time for this was 5.45pm (2nd sitting was 8.15pm) - otherwise 6.30 and 8.30. We decided this was too early for us so we went to the buffet instead. They had an arch of balloons at the entrance and an ice sculpture. They also had ice cream available with sauces/sweets and a chocolate fountain. There were hats and blowers on the tables as well and balloons had been put up everywhere.

We saw Lloyd Wade (a soul singer who we had seen on Oriana in the Summer) in the theatre. There was ballroom dancing in the atrium, a disco in another venue and a party up on deck 12 (to watch the fireworks). We spent time in the atrium and up on deck 12 before watching the fireworks at midnight from our balcony. P&O left a bottle of orange juice each and a few quality street sweets in our cabin on NYE. 

They were offering breakfast on your balcony on NY day - think it was £23 per couple and included half a bottle of champagne.

On the last day we went to Bruges (well Zebrugge). We took the shuttle bus to Blankenberg and caught the train for €6.40 return to Bruges. Think we had to be back on board at 5.30pm.

I thought the staff weren't as friendly as we've experienced before (we generally do cruises of one week or two so this is the shortest we've experienced). It wasn't a problem but just something I noticed. I know one of the buffet staff commented he felt sad on NYE as he wasn't with his family (although he looked very happy, always spoke to us and liked singing!), so I did feel sorry for him.

There was a strange incident on the open deck on NYE. We were just wandering around looking out at the fireworks and as we approached the front there was a family standing there. The dad started saying to the teenage son that my husband was looking at him and he should say something. We just ignored them and went and stood away from them but this left a nasty taste & wasn't something I wanted to experience on NYE. Perhaps I'm just oversensitive?!

Overall we enjoyed the cruise and would do another one. I think just remember that it is a different type of cruise to one that is a week or two long (I know this sounds strange as this was 5 nights and you wouldn't think there would be much difference). Not a huge difference but just things I noticed. We always cruise in the school holidays anyway so it's not like we go at quieter times of the year.

This time as well we noticed that we didn't have to complete the health questionnaire before boarding. There was just a notice on the check in desk saying tell a member of staff if you have experienced vomiting etc in past 72 hours. We were also given our dining details at check in. Don't know if this was just for the Christmas cruises? The cabin was serviced twice a day apart from the evening on the first day.

I hope is information helps. If anyone has any questions I will try to answer them!

Thank you all very much for your input. I have no clue why I thought the New Year cruises were three nights. I went back on the P&O site to double check the prices and it was then that I realised they were for 5 nights. This has made the price look a lot more reasonable.

I'm still not totally convinced to go ahead and book just yet. We have a cruise booked for May this year, which hopefully the other half will really enjoy (She isn't a brilliant sailor, but then, she has only ever done one cruise, which was May 2018). If she does love our next cruise, maybe we will book for New Year, if there are any cabins left by then.

For more years than I care to remember, we have spent our New Year break with family and friends, swapping between a caravan park or lodge type cabin at some fairly local leisure resorts.

However, for the past 4 years, ever since they were taken over by Parkdean, I think both parks have gone dramatically downhill. The standard of entertainment has been awful and the atmosphere almost non existent. After coming back last week from one of the parks, I decided enough was enough.

I had paid over £700 for 4 nights, which didn't include any food or drink, the lodge was filthy and smelt awful, the entertainment was dire, the atmosphere was non existent and the only meal we paid for on the park was absolutely disgusting. All in all, a complete waste of money, which is why I am now thinking of a New Year Cruise. I am in my late fifties but still love a good party and I have no intention of ever growing up or growing old. As I mentioned ealier, my girlfriend isn't convinced that cruising is for her. We had a lovely cruise on Ventura in May last year and absolutely loved everything about the cruise, but the other half didn't cope well with the rolling and pitching of the ship. Having said that, I found out after we returned, that the Ventura had been having technical problems during that cruise, which involved the software which controls the stabilisers. Hopefully, we will not have the same issues on our Azura cruise in May this year. If she has a good experience next time, maybe it will convince her to go on one for New Year. I would just have to pray for calm seas.

One quick question for anyone that has cruised over New Year. Do they have the swimming pools open? I assume they do because they are heated pools and on Ventura, one of the pools is indoors.

I do like to go for a swim every day, so that would be a big issue for me if they didn't have the pools open.

Thanks again for all the input, but please keep it coming. I need to convince my lovely lady to let me book it.

16 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We are on the Hamburg/Brugge 5 nighter on Ventura next New Year, thought it was good value.

Cant wait.... Never do much at New Year usually so really excited.

Sorry not much help, just really excited!!!

Andy

HI Andy,

I think we have chatted before on here?

The Ventura cruise is the one that I am considering for New Year.

You say you thought it was good value. Can I ask, did you  book through P&O or through a TA? Also, have you gone for an inside cabin or something better? 

We also just returned from the Oceana cruise to Hamburg for NYE. 

NYE itself was fab. The house band “The Waves” warmed us up beforehand then up to top deck for the most awesome fireworks display which went on for an hour. The firework surrounded the ship. Amazing. The captain said in his announcement next day that he had done NYE in multiple places around the world and the fireworks in hamburg were the best he’d seen. 

Re your other half and stormy seas - we had a day and night of storms. 7 metre swells and 65 knot winds which equate to force 9 gale. The waves were hitting the ship from the side so quite a bit of lilting and the occasional loud bang when a wave hit us. 

Hamburg itself is a bit “meh” but the actual NYE celebrations were great. 

In bruges we did the Flanders field excursion. Expensive for what it was but Tyne Cot cemetery was very moving. 

The ship looked great. It misses having a lounge/bar on the higher decks but shes a lovely ship. Even the buffet was passable. Dining room food good. Tried cafe jardin - good food but didn’t like the vibe. 

7 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Do they have the swimming pools open? I assume they do because they are heated pools and on Ventura, one of the pools is indoors.

I do like to go for a swim every day, so that would be a big issue for me if they didn't have the pools open.

Thanks again for all the input, but please keep it coming. I need to convince my lovely lady to let me book it.

If you were to decide to book the N Y Cruise then the pool should be open .

As I said in my other post on one of  our cruises we had a cruise to nowhere due to choppy seas

and the pool was as choppy as the sea so they netted and drained it .

I'm not saying it will happen but it could dependant on the sea state. Hope this does not deter your Mrs .

We tend to book early as possible as we book a mid ship cabin and these have less movement and can sell out or the price can go up a fair bit later in the year.

Just our preference but we book inside cabins due to outside tempratures and save our money for the Balcony cabins on our warmer weather cruises .

Mrs Kalos has been known to turn a little green in stormy waters and if she feels the slightest bit queasy , she takes a tablet called Kwells and gets her head down for half an hour , then shes good to go for the rest of the day even the next morning she was ordering the full english without the aid of any more tablets . Hope that reassures  Mrs Sidekick.

Your wife should like the Azura and will find it easy to get around as it's the sister ship of the Ventura .You will find yourself maybe sat in the Blue Bar , thinking this is just like the Red Bar on the Ventura and this happens with lots of onboard venues .

The main difference you should notice notice on the Azura is no roof over the pool as the large TV screen replaces the retractable roof .

So I hope you both enjoy your cruise and possibly more cruises to look forward to as well.

11 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

HI Andy,

I think we have chatted before on here?

The Ventura cruise is the one that I am considering for New Year.

You say you thought it was good value. Can I ask, did you  book through P&O or through a TA? Also, have you gone for an inside cabin or something better? 

Hi,

Hope you are well.

For New Year, the price we paid for 5 nights seemed good value. 

We were quite happy with our inside cabin on Aurora, but got a good price on a balcony for New Year.

I called P&O with a query and ended up being offered a good deal, so took it.

Unfortunately, we do not know a trusted travel agent, so tend to book direct.

Good luck, hope to see you onboard for a Peroni....

Andy

15 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hi,

Hope you are well.

For New Year, the price we paid for 5 nights seemed good value. 

We were quite happy with our inside cabin on Aurora, but got a good price on a balcony for New Year.

I called P&O with a query and ended up being offered a good deal, so took it.

Unfortunately, we do not know a trusted travel agent, so tend to book direct.

Good luck, hope to see you onboard for a Peroni....

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, I'm fine thanks. Hope you are well too.

We will definitely get in touch before the New Year cruise if we decide to go for it and will hopefully meet up for a few beers.

I know that I am taking a risk but we will probably wait until we have done the cruise on Azura in May before we make our decision. No point booking it if the other half struggles with being on a cruise ship. I'm sure she will be fine next time. Having said that, there is a much higher risk of stormy weather in December so that could also put her off. I will do my best to convince her that it will all be fine.

19 hours ago, kalos said:

If you were to decide to book the N Y Cruise then the pool should be open .

As I said in my other post on one of  our cruises we had a cruise to nowhere due to choppy seas

and the pool was as choppy as the sea so they netted and drained it .

I'm not saying it will happen but it could dependant on the sea state. Hope this does not deter your Mrs .

We tend to book early as possible as we book a mid ship cabin and these have less movement and can sell out or the price can go up a fair bit later in the year.

Just our preference but we book inside cabins due to outside tempratures and save our money for the Balcony cabins on our warmer weather cruises .

Mrs Kalos has been known to turn a little green in stormy waters and if she feels the slightest bit queasy , she takes a tablet called Kwells and gets her head down for half an hour , then shes good to go for the rest of the day even the next morning she was ordering the full english without the aid of any more tablets . Hope that reassures  Mrs Sidekick.

Your wife should like the Azura and will find it easy to get around as it's the sister ship of the Ventura .You will find yourself maybe sat in the Blue Bar , thinking this is just like the Red Bar on the Ventura and this happens with lots of onboard venues .

The main difference you should notice notice on the Azura is no roof over the pool as the large TV screen replaces the retractable roof .

So I hope you both enjoy your cruise and possibly more cruises to look forward to as well.

Thanks for that advice. As it happens, I always buy my other half a joke present at Christmas. so for Christmas just gone, her joke present was a packet of Stugeron Sea Sickness tablets. Apparently, they are supposed to be very good. She did smile when she opened the present.

As for the swimming pools being netted on your New Year cruise. They were netted for most of the days on our cruise last May. It was a bit confusing because the sea was relatively calm. Apparently, as I have mentioned before,the Ventura had some issues with the stabilisers. Hopefully our cruise this May on Azura will be much better.