Reassure me...seasickness

briehon

5 hours ago, rgmacm said:

While that is the difference between Tylenol and Tylenol PM, that doesn't mean it will treat motion sickness  (and I should have quoted Sitzmark in this too, but don't know how to quote 2 people.  🙂 )  

To All: 

Please note the difference in dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine.  They are not the same ingredient.

Dimenhydrinate Med used for inner ear disturbances and motion sicknesses....usually only found in motion sickness remedies

Diphenhydramine:  TRUE antihistamine found in Tylenol PM, Benedryl and many other cold medications

(and while we're on the subject)  Meclizine:  This is the ingredient in Bonine...another option for treating motion sickness

Just note for those seeking information about motion sickness remedies that dimenhydrinate and diphenhydramine are NOT interchangeable...totally different medications.  

Happy Cruising All!!!  

According to WebMD: Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold.  These symptoms include rash, itching, water eyes, itch eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose and sneezing. It is also used to threat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness  Diphenhydramine can also be used to help you relax and fall asleep.

According to Wikipedia:  Diphenhydramine is the primary constituent of dimenhydrinate and dictates the primary effect. The main difference relative to pure diphenhydramine is a lower potency due to being combined with 8-chlorotheophylline. By weight, dimenhydrinate is between 53% to 55.5% diphenhydramine.   8-Chlorotheophylline was added in order to counteract drowsiness. 

Also: for what is worth:  

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-dramamine-and-benadryl

Note:  Dramamine active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate 50mg 

benadryl active ingredient is diphenhydramine 25 mg

Basically, Tylenol added an antihistamine to make you drowsy and called it Tylenol PM.

IOW, Tylenol PM does include an effective motion sickness remedy.   

Edited by RocketMan275

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

According to WebMD: Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of allergy, hay fever, and the common cold.  These symptoms include rash, itching, water eyes, itch eyes/nose/throat, cough, runny nose and sneezing. It is also used to threat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness  Diphenhydramine can also be used to help you relax and fall asleep.

According to Wikipedia:  Diphenhydramine is the primary constituent of dimenhydrinate and dictates the primary effect. The main difference relative to pure diphenhydramine is a lower potency due to being combined with 8-chlorotheophylline. By weight, dimenhydrinate is between 53% to 55.5% diphenhydramine.   8-Chlorotheophylline was added in order to counteract drowsiness. 

Also: for what is worth:  

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-dramamine-and-benadryl

Note:  Dramamine active ingredient is Dimenhydrinate 50mg 

benadryl active ingredient is diphenhydramine 25 mg

Basically, Tylenol added an antihistamine to make you drowsy and called it Tylenol PM.

IOW, Tylenol PM does include an effective motion sickness remedy.   

I actually am not at all interested in arguing this....seems a bit silly..... 😉  For that reason, I considered just ignoring it...  I returned because it's important that accurate information be put out there.       

Yes, Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate &  Benedryl is Diphenhydramine  🙂   (I believe that's exactly what I said...)  ha!  and Tylenol PM has the diphenhydramine.... but beyond that....

You quoted WebMD...Wikipedia...and Quora.  {{:classic_huh:}}   

In addition to the questionable reliability factor in that, (hmmm)   it should be noted that the Quora article you linked was actually disputed in the comments....repeatedly.    (I was glad to see this challenged as so often inaccurate information on those sources is not disputed...)     

Concerning the information in MY post,  I in no way, doubt my sources...or my information.  I am confident of the accuracy there and will stand firmly by my statements.  Its purpose was to help other cruisers. I hope it did that.

However, I would encourage anyone to confirm it all with their doctor....or nurse....or pharmacist.  Any of those individuals can detail these medications...and the conditions/problems they solve.  🙂 

Have a Great Day!!

Edited by rgmacm

17 hours ago, payitforward said:

Odds are those other vacations require flights, vehicle rides, etc. If one gets motion sick, they are just as likely go get sick on those trips. Then, there's also the fact that cruising provides a better value than most land vacations. Finally, there's the fact that I have a chronic illness. Cruising offers me a vacation where I only have to pack/unpack once, and I get to see multiple destinations while my bedroom travels with me. This allows me the option to rest whenever I need to. While YOU may not see the value in having to take something for motion sickness, it is the perfect option for ME.

Flight and car rides are of a specific comparatively short duration.  The rest of the time the traveller is on land.  The risk of motion sickness meanwhile is constant on a cruise ship and could happen anytime.   

39 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Flight and car rides are of a specific comparatively short duration.  The rest of the time the traveller is on land.  The risk of motion sickness meanwhile is constant on a cruise ship and could happen anytime.   

I'm just glad I've always ignored negative predictions like this, or I wouldn't have 16 cruises of wonderful memories. I was also really motion sick on the very long Road To Hanna Tour in Hawaii, but was SOOO worth it. There won't be any staying home, or missing incredible opportunities out of fear for me!