New to P&O how does it compare

woodley

I have been on 33 cruises over the years on RCCL, NCL, Carnival, Princess, Disney, HAL, Cunard and Celebrity.  Have enjoyed all of them but my favorite cruise line's are Princess and Celebrity.  Destination and price is more important to me than the cruise line hence the reason we have jumped around and not stayed loyal to any particular line.  Never sailed on P&O before but just booked a cruise with them to see the Northern Lights.  How does P&O compare with other cruise lines to give me some idea of what to expect?

If you sort-of think Cunard ‘Britishness(ish)’ with Princess ships, notch it down half a star wrt food and entertainment, take account of the price you will pay and I hope you will feel you have had a good trip and good value.

I am assuming you are American, so the fact that you will be in a tiny minority of non-Brits will probably strike you most.  Fear not - you will find we are a friendly bunch!  

No service charge on drinks/services and no gratuities imposed or tips expected will be good for your pocket.  Drinks are relatively cheap too.

The food and beverage and cabin staff tend to be Asian.  

The coffee is awful, but P&O is not the only cruise line you can say that about

• Like 2

Hi...I find it very hard to compare cruise lines to some one else as we all look....and expect....different things from a cruise.

If price & destination are more of a priority to you then I think P&O will compare very well....especially with the gratuities being included in the price with P&O ....think that is from the 1st May this year...the gratuities on Princess/Celebrity are quite a consideration to take account of.

Food....each have our own take on food...even on the same cruise some may think food really good...others may think...just about acceptable...others may think it is dire....for us we think it is perfectly acceptable but probably not quite as good as Celebrity.

Entertainment....for us not the best....I really have no desire to go and see another Headliner show but of course others may love them. Individual entertainers and comedians have ...in the main....usually been very good.

Drinks....very reasonably priced

Not sure which ship you are cruising on but if it's the Aurora then I think that it may have the feel of a country house hotel for you  which will make a very nice change of atmosphere from the bigger ships.

P&O staff are not quite as much " in your face" with the selling of their extra amenities and they are not as smiley " have a good day" type.

If you  consider Celebrity as 4 star then as eddie11 says take P&O down half a notch.

Main thing is go with an open mind and enjoy your destinations and think of the money that you have saved and I am sure you will enjoy it

3 hours ago, janny444 said:

Hi...I find it very hard to compare cruise lines to some one else as we all look....and expect....different things from a cruise.

If price & destination are more of a priority to you then I think P&O will compare very well....especially with the gratuities being included in the price with P&O ....think that is from the 1st May this year...the gratuities on Princess/Celebrity are quite a consideration to take account of.

Food....each have our own take on food...even on the same cruise some may think food really good...others may think...just about acceptable...others may think it is dire....for us we think it is perfectly acceptable but probably not quite as good as Celebrity.

Entertainment....for us not the best....I really have no desire to go and see another Headliner show but of course others may love them. Individual entertainers and comedians have ...in the main....usually been very good.

Drinks....very reasonably priced

Not sure which ship you are cruising on but if it's the Aurora then I think that it may have the feel of a country house hotel for you  which will make a very nice change of atmosphere from the bigger ships.

P&O staff are not quite as much " in your face" with the selling of their extra amenities and they are not as smiley " have a good day" type.

If you  consider Celebrity as 4 star then as eddie11 says take P&O down half a notch.

Main thing is go with an open mind and enjoy your destinations and think of the money that you have saved and I am sure you will enjoy it

With regard to the entertainment, in particular the Headliners, I think it is difficult to give people who Cruise vey regularly a fresh experience. When reading reports from newish cruisers they generally say they enjoy the entertainment.

My wife still goes but I do not. 

Like you Woodley, I have cruised with different lines like Celebrity, Cunard, Princess, RCI, Fred Olsen and P&O though around half with P&O. I jump around the lines bacause itinerary is important to us too. The main difference for me is how British P&O is compared to the other lines you mentioned. The style of the food certainly is and the passengers will be 95% British. People will chat to you in bars - we find the ships very friendly.  On-board prices are very reasonable and if the food doesn't suit you in the MDR I can recommend the Beach House (American diner -style) or The Glass House Wine Bar, both good value as is Sindhi for Indian Fusion.  I think the entertainment is similar to Princess, livelier in the bars than Celebrity and Cunard but not so raucous as RCI and they share some acts. If you go with the right attitude ready to enjoy the cruise rather than find faults then you'll see some amazing ports and have a really good time. 

I find the advice centre very useful and although I hope you will come back to these boards for further advice in due course, you may also find these useful. It's best to scroll half way down the page:

https://www.pocruises.com/advicecentre/

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your answers.  I am sure we will enjoy the cruise never been on a bad one yet.  I do need to change my signature as no longer from the living in USA.  

We are British but  lived in USA for 23 years which is why most of the cruises we have taken were US cruise lines.  Looking forward to trying out some other lines.

I haven't been on all the cruise lines that you have listed, but of those I have sailed I would rank P&O well below Princess, HAL and Celebrity. Of course, this is my subjective opinion and many others will disagree! That said, I have enjoyed my P&O cruises, particularly on the mid-size ships.

I think you will find the general atmosphere on P&O a little more 'genteel' especially on a cold-weather cruise, which generally attract a more mature clientele.

Food and entertainment is very subjective but I have always found mdr food on P&O to be of a good standard - but I usually sail on the smaller ships.

It is very difficult to compare lines for someone else.  I was on a Marella (Thomson) cruise this time last year and whilst some felt they were as good as P&O, I felt they were nowhere near as good.  We all see things differently.

Hope you have a super cruise.