raised seal birth certificates to enter Canada from US

Hello:

I am truly hoping someone can answer this important question for me. Both my wife, myself, and my daughter all have the yellow raised seal birth certificate cards that we received through the Vital Records division of the Dept. of Health. The issue date was 03-19-1999. The card states that it is a "true copy of the record" on file with the PA Dept. of Health.

We are travelling to Canada this summer, and my travel agent has informed me that these yellow cards are no longer valid since 9/11/01? Is this correct? I was planning on continuing to use these are proof of US citizenship to enter Canada. Please advise as to whether or not these cards are still usable and, if not, what course of action we should pursue.

Thank you.

From the following website I quote....

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

"You will, however, need:

Proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.

Photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license."

I would assume that the yellow document you refer to is a certified copy of the birth certificate? Often we have crossed the border into the USA and returned into Canada without showing any documentation whatsoever, but I would make sure you have the birth certificate and photo ID. Depending on the age of your daughter, they might not require the photo ID. Hope this helps....and that you have a wonderful trip into our great country!

Archived