Questions about Viking Rhine cruise Basel to Amsterdam

The Other Tom

My wife and I have never done a river cruise and are considering this cruise in May of this year.  Anything special we should know/avoid?  I know it's impossible to predict water levels, but on average, is May an OK time to do this cruise?  Any reason to do the cruise "in reverse" ?  Our schedules are flexible.

We chose to do Basel to Amsterdam mostly because I’d rather have the shorter flight home.  We are flying in to Zurich 3 days in advance to see Switzerland and also to deal with jet lag.  Our trip is scheduled for September of 2019.  Can’t wait!

May us a good time for this cruise. We loved the entire experience.  Guides were great, crew fellow travelers and food superb, The live music perfect.  Only caution:  don’t walk alone near the cathedral in Koblenz.  There is a consistent radical presence in the area and some German women walking alone have been assaulted.

Edited by ddgarner1

14 hours ago, ddgarner1 said:

May us a good time for this cruise. We loved the entire experience.  Guides were great, crew fellow travelers and food superb, The live music perfect.  Only caution:  don’t walk alone near the cathedral in Koblenz.  There is a consistent radical presence in the area and some German women walking alone have been assaulted.

Thanks for the tips

14 hours ago, ddgarner1 said:

Koblenz does not have a cathedral. I assume you mean Cologne?

I agree, May is a nice month for going on a river cruise.

The Other Tom,

you could join the roll call where you will find tips by many cruisers. It will likely be a roll call for this itinerary rather than your individual sailing but that gives you enough enthusiasts you exchange information with.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 6:04 AM, notamermaid said:

Koblenz does not have a cathedral. I assume you mean Cologne?

I agree, May is a nice month for going on a river cruise.

The Other Tom,

you could join the roll call where you will find tips by many cruisers. It will likely be a roll call for this itinerary rather than your individual sailing but that gives you enough enthusiasts you exchange information with.

notamermaid

Yes, Cologne.  At my age, I'm lucky to have any memory at all... 

Thanks for the correction.

It’s been three years since I visited Cologne so I can’t speak knowledgeably about the situation around the Cathedral. Most are aware of the mass sexual harassment and assaults on women during the 2015 New Year’s Eve celebrations there, largely by North African refugees (are these the “radicals”?), but is this a continuing everyday danger?  Were the latest New Year’s celebrations peaceful or otherwise?  Other than normal precautions against pickpockets and the like that one takes in crowded areas, particularly in and around train stations like Cologne’s, should women be especially vigilant during the daytime on a normal day? How might one recognize a radical?

Edited by laverendrye
Spelling

We like the spring and the fall in Europe.....not as hot, crowded, or expensive.....The only time they have trouble in the spring is with water levels being to high, this last fall, to low....that being said, we are doing this in October, spending 8 days in Switzerland....and then 3 days in Amsterdam at the end...ENJOY!!