Anthem Sushi Making class

Kbrauchle

Has anyone done the sushi making class? Opinions? It's my boyfriends first cruise and he LOVES sushi. Thought this might be a fun thing to try.

I'm vegetarian and do not eat fish. Can they accommodate this? Or can I go and just observe? 

Thanks!

Edited by Kbrauchle
Spelling

6 hours ago, Kbrauchle said:

Has anyone done the sushi making class? Opinions? It's my boyfriends first cruise and he LOVES sushi. Thought this might be a fun thing to try.

I'm vegetarian and do not eat fish. Can they accommodate this? Or can I go and just observe? 

Thanks!

We did this on Explorer during our Alaska cruise. It was hosted through Izumi so I assume they're relatively the same. We really enjoyed ours. Got a free shot of sake (or juice if you prefer) at the start of the class and the teacher was very fun. We made 3 or 4 basic rolls and got to-go containers to take them with us. We just found a good place to camp out and eat them on the ship but I do think you can opt to eat them right there in Izumi. They also showcase a few different sakes you can purchase to pair with the sushi. I didn't see any vegetarian option during our class but that's not to say they couldn't accommodate.

My 12 yo daughter and myself did this on Anthem on our last cruise. It was a fun class and made a ton of sushi.  I Was shocked at how well it came out. LOL. Made mostly things like a california roll, shrimp tempura rolls . No raw fish if I remember correctly. 

sushi.jpg

• Like 1

they are not going to  make up a separate kit that is all vegetarian for you.   observers are fine and encouraged.  I am allergic to shellfish and they couldn't/wouldn't swap anything out for me.  I still had a blast and my husband got extra sushi.  

Did this with my grown daughter over Christmas on Anthem. She loves sushi and the bonding experience seemed to have been the highlight of the trip. She can't stop talking about it--and posting on social media. Well worth the cost. 

We've done it on the Navigator, and based on jptoz's photo, the classes must be very similar because we made almost identical items.  I think we made a California roll in addition to the "tuna tartar" and the shrimp tempura roll in the photo.  We're signed up again in March on the Navigator.  It's a LOT of fun, and you get to eat what you make which is easily enough for two.  (what one person makes is probably enough for two to eat).

You can observe.  When we did it last time I think I signed up, and my middle daughter observed with me.  We make sushi a lot at home now.

Dan

So glad to hear all the feedback and see the picture.   I signed up my 16 year old daughter for this class as she is obsessed with everything Kpop, BTS, asian cultures, and of course sushi.   I signed her up for the class in June on the Anthem.   Thank you all for the information.

Barbara