Delayed Epic boarding today

ksmcdonald

Does anyone have details why they are not yet boarding the Epic in Port Canaveral yet today?  My dad is waiting in a huge, long line outside the terminal waiting to board the ship. 

I do know the Oasis is in port at Port Canaveral early today, but I wouldn’t think an RCI issue would delay an NCL ship from boarding. They are told boarding could be a couple more hours yet. 

Any info out there would be appreciated. 

There was a drug sniffing dog they had to administer Narcan to yesterday, so maybe they have to do some additional cleaning today? Bad stuff on board - making a dog sick like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were on this sailing.  Got in line around 11AM.  Line moved for a little while then stopped for well over an hour.  After around 40 minutes I found one of the NCL personnel and asked what was happening.  Apparently, 32 "guests" decided to hide out on the ship and not disembark.  Among other places, they were found to be hiding in the lifeboat tenders, water slides, and trash cans.  I was also told there was a fair amount of damage to some of the cabins and passengers were arrested prior to the cruise for drugs. 

I suggested to the NCL rep that there should be at least some announcement made over the PA system (there are speakers in the queueing area) so people would at least know what was happening.  Of course, this was completely dismissed.  The lack of communication is my major complaint about the issue.  Many of us only found out because a deputy sheriff walked through the crowd to inform people.  He also said the line of people was over a quarter mile.  Had this been Summer, people would have been dropping like flies. 

We are Haven and didn't get on the ship until sometime between 1:30 and 2PM.  Odd thing is as we pulled up to the terminal on the shuttle, we remarked to each other about the appearance of those that had just gotten off.  Not pretty.

I did some quick online research and noticed this particular event happens on an annual basis, the last few years on the Epic.  The drug arrests also seem to be an annual event.  Given the problems associated with this event and the problems it causes for the crew (many just shook their heads about the event attendees) you have to wonder if it's worth all the trouble in the end for NCL.  Of course, those in the promotions department probably get a bonus for selling out the entire ship while those on the ship have to deal with the actual event and it's aftermath.