Eidfjord tour to Aurland Shoe Factory

NorskyGal

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 7:01 PM, NorskyGal said:

Has anyone been to the Aurland Shoe Factory when visiting Eidfjord?  I’m interested in finding out how to do it other than renting a car. Thanks!

I thought that was in the Flam area.  Is there another one close to Eidfjord?

26 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Here is the link to the video about the factory made by Viking:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/video/all/play.html?videoId=1yBjrp037wM

Yes, it is near Flamm which is a completely different fjord than you will be on.  they do have an excursion that goes to Flam but I doubt you would have time to get there and back on the excursion.  Are you planning extra time in Bergen?  It might be better to plan a round trip NIAN from there and see if you can figure out a time there.  From the the train station in Flam there is a round trip that goes to the Aurland lookout point and picks up people in Aurland so you  might be able to do that as transportation.  

Mapquest shows that it takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to drive from Eidfjord to Aurland, so it would be doable...if somewhat of a time crunch.  I first heard about the shoe factory when looking at Viking Ocean's video on their Eidfjord excursions site.  So even though Viking doesn't have an excursion there, I thought there might be someone who has a tour.  Since I've already been to Flam, and other areas near Eidfjord, I probably won't do a Viking excursion...unless I do the Kayaking tour instead of going to Aurland.  It's an awfully long drive just to buy some shoes!

My cruise in 2020 will be going to Bergen, Flam, Geiranger and Alesund. 

So so we shall see... I’d love to come home with a pair. I’m not much of a shopper but I do like to get things like this that are made where I am visiting and have a history and most importantly are useful!

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

My cruise in 2020 will be going to Bergen, Flam, Geiranger and Alesund. 

So so we shall see... I’d love to come home with a pair. I’m not much of a shopper but I do like to get things like this that are made where I am visiting and have a history and most importantly are useful!

Have you priced these shoes? Very expensive, IMHO, kist to have bragging rights about owning shoes from Norway.

35 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I wonder if they will have shops in some of the ports. It would be nice to see the factory but there are so many other wonderful things to see. Maybe I can find a pair to buy in port at least.

That was going to be my suggestion.  With the cost of the shoes, adding the getting there price on top of that really ups the cost.

35 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said: