Tortola with a baby

flcruisechick16

Hi everyone, we are stopping in Tortola for our upcoming trip on the Disney fantasy in February. I am trying to determine what we could do in Tortola with a baby. We have cruised a lot especially before children, and we did the Baths several years ago when we stopped on a cruise day. We usually don’t do cruise ship excursions, just kind of like to find a beach or something to explore, but with 3 kids including a 9 month old baby, we need better plans then that 😆. Our older kids are independent. (7 and 9) . 

Does anyone have a suggestion of what we can do? I am open to a beach but was concerned about a mountainous taxi ride to Cane Garden Bay. Are their regular car taxis that are enclosed? And with a seat belt so we can buckle the baby’s car seat in? Or are we better off just taking a walk through the pier area and staying on the ship? We never skip ports, but this is the youngest baby we have ever taken and I am just not sure what our best option is. Is there anything within walking distance? Thanks again! 

Caroline 

Yes there are sedan and van taxis with seat belts, and the wonderful ladies at the information center at the pier can help you with that. They could also suggest a good option for your day.

I’m thinking a scenic drive along the flatter south shore toward West End, you could have the driver stop there to let you shop for 15 minutes or so if you want that, then take Zion Hill Road over to the north shore and perhaps visit Long Bay, West End. But facilities there are currently questionable, and there is a new beach option without the steep drive.

Long Bay (Beef Island) off the East End of Tortola now has lounges and umbrellas as well as food and drinks and restrooms. This is a gorgeous beach that was off the radar to day visitors, but has recently been added to the list of beaches that have succumbed to the cruise lines. I am sorry if I sound harsh, we just love Tortola and the more secluded beaches there and elsewhere in the Carib are being developed by the cruise lines and that does impact land visitors. But it is a great development for day visitors and you may want to consider that beach.