Questions about Empires of the Med.

travelgenie

11 minutes ago, Mullet62 said:

Call Viking, they can tell you. You might want to consider the full acropolis tour. Museum is awesome. 

Sometimes Viking can be a little vague with excursion details.  The Museum is included with our post-cruise extension in Athens, so we thought the panoramic coupled with the Acropolis could be an option. The descriptions online seem similar between the 'Acropolis & Plaka District by Foot' and 'Full Acropolis'.   Can you confirm if you had a guide at the Acropolis visit or were you on your own? 

If you are doing the 4 day extension you will get a guided tour of both the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum. It was not included for the 2 day. We did the 4 day. Your guide for the 4 day should be the same person every day for your group. Just be warned the guide may or may not be knowledgeable about every rock on the hill. This excursion will be done in conjunction with the bus transfer from the ship to the hotel. Many people booked the  Acropolis tour for the Athens port excursion not knowing the tour was included in the 4 day extension.  We bought the 4 day pass for the metro (15 Euros each and a book of site skip the line tickets for 16 euros each). The subway is user friendly and we went to the Plaka every evening for dinner. On our non-excursion day we did the Kerameikos museum, the Agora and Agora Museum, Hadrian's Library, Roman Agora, had lunch, wandered the shops and sites of the Plaka and caught the guard changing at the Parliament Building then back to the hotel. I did a lot of research prior to the trip and was comfortable negotiating the sites. 

15 hours ago, Mullet62 said:

We bought the 4 day pass for the metro (15 Euros each and a book of site skip the line tickets for 16 euros each). 

Great info!   You remember where you purchased the skip the line ticket book?

Thanks much. 

20 hours ago, Mullet62 said:

If you are doing the 4 day extension you will get a guided tour of both the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum. It was not included for the 2 day. We did the 4 day. Your guide for the 4 day should be the same person every day for your group. Just be warned the guide may or may not be knowledgeable about every rock on the hill. This excursion will be done in conjunction with the bus transfer from the ship to the hotel. Many people booked the  Acropolis tour for the Athens port excursion not knowing the tour was included in the 4 day extension.  We bought the 4 day pass for the metro (15 Euros each and a book of site skip the line tickets for 16 euros each). The subway is user friendly and we went to the Plaka every evening for dinner. On our non-excursion day we did the Kerameikos museum, the Agora and Agora Museum, Hadrian's Library, Roman Agora, had lunch, wandered the shops and sites of the Plaka and caught the guard changing at the Parliament Building then back to the hotel. I did a lot of research prior to the trip and was comfortable negotiating the sites. 

We are doing the 4 day extention  pre cruise.  Were there options on the Metro passes? Not a big deal to buy a 4 day but we really would only need a 3 day.  Our last day is the trip to Delphi ending at the ship for embarkation.  We just booked our excursions this morning and there is still no details in MVJ about the extention schedule other than the days being listed as days 1-4 Athens,  or instructions regarding the arrival transfer.  Nor is it included on the calendar.  Did you get this information with your documents? Will it ever show up in MVJ?  

1 hour ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We are doing the 4 day extention  pre cruise.  Were there options on the Metro passes? Not a big deal to buy a 4 day but we really would only need a 3 day.  Our last day is the trip to Delphi ending at the ship for embarkation.  We just booked our excursions this morning and there is still no details in MVJ about the extention schedule other than the days being listed as days 1-4 Athens,  or instructions regarding the arrival transfer.  Nor is it included on the calendar.  Did you get this information with your documents? Will it ever show up in MVJ?  

Ours was post cruise. There are options for the subway, but it was actually cheaper to get a 4 or 5 day as to day passes. Prices may have changed. Google how to use Athens metro and cost. There are also some utube videos as well. I had to call Viking about 4 times to get a good explanation regarding what was happening on the extension. I think the only thing in the Docs was that we were staying at the Hilton. The hotel will have a city map. 

7 hours ago, Mitina said:

Great info!   You remember where you purchased the skip the line ticket book?

Thanks much. 

We bought them at the Kerameikos museum, but you can get them at most of the sites. There are some available on line but the package was actually cheaper once we got to Athens. If you go to the Ancient Agora, the gate close to the Acropolis is closed during winter. You will have to enter the gate near the Stoa of Attalos.

2 hours ago, Mullet62 said:

Ours was post cruise. There are options for the subway, but it was actually cheaper to get a 4 or 5 day as to day passes. Prices may have changed. Google how to use Athens metro and cost. There are also some utube videos as well. I had to call Viking about 4 times to get a good explanation regarding what was happening on the extension. I think the only thing in the Docs was that we were staying at the Hilton. The hotel will have a city map. 

Thanks.  The Classic Greek Extension and Hilton is on our invoice but that is it.  I called Viking and the agent assured me that all the information for the extension will be in our final documents.  I didn't push it any further but you can bet I will be back on the phone if information is lacking when we get the documents.   I think the metro is the best option over HoHo buses and/or taxis. Thanks for the youtube suggestion.