EL YUNQUE RAINFOREST EXCURSION FROM SHIP

bonniew88

I was on the tour back in October.  I do like getting away from the port area to sightsee.  We had 3 stops in the rainforest, a waterfall, a lookout area with tower to climb and a river.  After the rainforest and souvenir shop stop, some of us got off downtown.  I had a couple of hours to eat lunch and walk around.  I think your children could enjoy the rainforest stops but I guess it depends on how well your children tolerate/enjoy travel by van.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti 

Hopefully, when you go, both the government shutdown will be over, and there will be more time to rebuild some of the trails post Maria.  We visited El Yunque a week ago today, and many of the places to stop are closed, including the hike to Mina Falls.  

We hiked up to the top of Mt Britton, and could have gone to the top of El Yunque peak, and loved it- to see both the damage caused by the hurricane as well as nature recovering was really interesting.

Instead of a bus trip, I'd suggest finding a local tour guide.  (we drove ourselves, but have been there a few times in the past.  and it was not from a ship, too)

Not to hijack, but I'm looking at going to El Yunque on an upcoming trip where SJU is a port stop. If the provided excursion is "inadequate", are there any DIY options? If I manage to get myself there, are there guided tours I could take advantage of?

4 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Not to hijack, but I'm looking at going to El Yunque on an upcoming trip where SJU is a port stop. If the provided excursion is "inadequate", are there any DIY options? If I manage to get myself there, are there guided tours I could take advantage of?

Best to ask this on the San Juan forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/80-san-juan-pr/