What happens if there's an emergency at home?

seattleslew

I would advise anyone not to rely on calling Princess and expecting a message to be given.  My mother-in-law had a bad stroke (subsequently fatal but not before the cruise ended) and her son and daughter (DH's siblings) were on a Princess cruise with no internet access.  Our nephew called the emergency contact number and was promised they would be notified but they never were.  They didn't find out until they disembarked and turned on phones. This was less than 2 years ago.

• Thanks 1

CJSkids, I’m sorry to hear about your brother, and hope things quickly improve. 

We leave my brother with a short list of things to do if something happens to my mom while we’re away (we’re in the ‘there’s nothing we can do about it, but we still want to know, otherwise I’ll never stop worrying that something has happened and I just wasn’t told’ camp). First, with our Xfinity home (business) phone, we get an email containing any voicemail message recordings and a transcript of voicemails left. So he would call there first and leave a message. And then he would follow up with an email. I check emails twice a day even on sea days using ship’s WiFi. 

I stay in touch with my mom using Vonage or Skype as a backup. I prefer Vonage because she sees my phone number in her Caller ID and knows it’s me calling. With other VOIP providers, she sometimes sees an unrecognizable number. 

check the settings on your phone.   If you can, enable Wi-Fi calling.   I have an iPhone with AT&T.   Under:

Settings

> Wi-Fi Calling

just click the button to "on".

Just off the Grand, I bought an unlimited internet package; put my phone in airplane mode, turned on wifi.   I was able to take a call from my daughter while at sea, just as if I'd been at home.   Worked great & no extra charge.

Mary

• Like 1

A lady was telling me she was on a trans Atlantic cruise with her husband. They got a call to the ship from their daughter saying their house had burned down on the second day . They couldn’t do a thing about it and worried about it  for the next two weeks.News that ruined their dream cruise, could have waited till they returned.

• Like 1