Havana question re HOHO bus

lochncup

I recall reading that there are hop-on-hop-off buses in Havana, but can't locate that thread. Have any of you been to Havana recently and seen these HOHO buses? If so, what's the cost per person? Any information you can share will be appreciated!

We returned from a 10-night Azamara cruise to Cuba last week and in the 2 days that we were in Havana, I do not recall seeing any HOHO buses there. There definitely were not any of the large, usually red, double-decker types that you see in most major cities. Cuba is quite unlike any of those cities. If I were you, I would skip the ship excursions in Havana and book a private tour with independent tour provider in Havana and any other cities you visit. In Havana, my wife and  I booked a 6-hour tour of the city for approximately $160 (total, not per person). It included being driven around for 2 hours or so in a vintage convertible, a driver and a guide who spoke perfect English. The rest of the time was spent walking with our guide (Julio) who did a great job. We booked with CubaOutings (www.cubaoutings.com) and dealing with them (Gloria was our contact in their office) and meeting our guide outside the terminal couldn't have been any easier. For comparison, the ship's excursion cost $179 per person, and I think all travel was in large groups via bus. We used other independent providers in Cienfuegos/Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba, and they also were outstanding. Have fun!

Thanks for responding! My friend and I did book a private 1/2 day tour. She has some health issues, so she may be ready to call it quits by then. I just thought that if she's back on the ship resting maybe I could do some touring on my own.

Old Havana is right across the street from the ship terminal. After your private tour, you should have enough orientation to walk on your own. Plus, it's hard to get lost. After walking in Old Havana, as long as you can head toward the water  you will find the ship! As an alternative, if you walk to the right when you exit the terminal and walk along the water, you can follow the coast for 10-15 minutes before you will reach the Malecon, the primary walkway along the water. You can walk the Malecon a long way, or you can turn left and leave it when you see a brand new hotel (Iberostar Hotel Packard) and walk up the Prado, the wide, main thoroughfare that will lead you up to the Capitolo.  From there ir anyplace prior,, turn left and keep walking in that direction (on any street), and you will eventually walk to the water (i e. the walk I just described would be a big circle). 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, tallyho8 said:

We rode the HOHO and really enjoyed it. It starts on the street right outside the terminal exit and it is a big double decker with the top open.

Is there English commentary on the bus!  It sounds like fun.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:05 AM, SteveGT3 said:

We returned from a 10-night Azamara cruise to Cuba last week and in the 2 days that we were in Havana, I do not recall seeing any HOHO buses there. There definitely were not any of the large, usually red, double-decker types that you see in most major cities. Cuba is quite unlike any of those cities. If I were you, I would skip the ship excursions in Havana and book a private tour with independent tour provider in Havana and any other cities you visit. In Havana, my wife and  I booked a 6-hour tour of the city for approximately $160 (total, not per person). It included being driven around for 2 hours or so in a vintage convertible, a driver and a guide who spoke perfect English. The rest of the time was spent walking with our guide (Julio) who did a great job. We booked with CubaOutings (www.cubaoutings.com) and dealing with them (Gloria was our contact in their office) and meeting our guide outside the terminal couldn't have been any easier. For comparison, the ship's excursion cost $179 per person, and I think all travel was in large groups via bus. We used other independent providers in Cienfuegos/Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba, and they also were outstanding. Have fun!

Can you please let me know the name and contact info for the tour guide you used in Santiago de Cuba? Thanks, Deb ☺️

Hi Deb,

In Santiago de Cuba, we used Out Of the Box Tours (http://www.outofthebox.zone). They were outstanding to work with when I was setting up the tour and during the tour itself. My initial contact was Jenny (Yenia en Espanol), and our tour guide was Angela. Jenny's email address is on the website. Both were excellent using English. I wrote a detailed review of them in the Cuba section of Cruisecritic.com and TripAdvisor. Either should be easy to find. The cost for the two of us, not per person, was 260CUCs. It was a bit higher than tours I had in Havana and Cienfuegos but was well worth the additional cost. Besides being driven around the entire day in a very well kept and air conditioned '57 Chevy, driven by Leo, the tour included a lunch at a very nice local restaurant and a trip to a bar where we had the best mojitos that we had ever drank. Angela was outstanding the entire  Please get back to me if you have any questions and have fun....!

3 minutes ago, SteveGT3 said:

Hi Deb,

In Santiago de Cuba, we used Out Of the Box Tours (http://www.outofthebox.zone). They were outstanding to work with when I was setting up the tour and during the tour itself. My initial contact was Jenny (Yenia en Espanol), and our tour guide was Angela. Jenny's email address is on the website. Both were excellent using English. I wrote a detailed review of them in the Cuba section of Cruisecritic.com and TripAdvisor. Either should be easy to find. The cost for the two of us, not per person, was 260CUCs. It was a bit higher than tours I had in Havana and Cienfuegos but was well worth the additional cost. Besides being driven around the entire day in a very well kept and air conditioned '57 Chevy, driven by Leo, the tour included a lunch at a very nice local restaurant and a trip to a bar where we had the best mojitos that we had ever drank. Angela was outstanding the entire  Please get back to me if you have any questions and have fun....!

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I have had a few small email exchanges with Yoe from Out of the Box. I was initially surprised that the tour rate he quoted is higher than that for Havana. Also, I've had much more personal experience, via email, from my guides in Havana and Cienfuegos, but maybe I should be patient with Yoe. I'm particularly concerned because it will be Carnival in Santiago de Cuba when we arrive. I have no idea what that means regarding touring, etc. I wrote to Yoe, but no reply as if yet. I'll look up your reviews! Thanks again, Deb 

Deb,

Yoe is the owner and was also my initial contact. He quickly had Jenny contact me which she did. Don't know why there is some problem with you this time. I suggest that you send an email directly to Jenny, who I strongly suspect will probably get back to you asap. Her email address is yenia89@nauta.cu.

Hope this helps.....