Cruise from Baltimore. 11 15 flight from Reagan airport. Is this realistic?

On 1/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, lcpagejr said:

Baltimore is a strange port..... Probably more delays arriving due to weather, wind, seas, etc then most other ports. So arrival delays are more possible than the traditional southern ports. IMO...I think its cutting it too close. especially with Airport more than1 hour away and possible interstate congestion 

Nil

Edited by Tony O

On 1/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, lcpagejr said:

Baltimore is a strange port..... Probably more delays arriving due to weather, wind, seas, etc then most other ports. So arrival delays are more possible than the traditional southern ports. IMO...I think its cutting it too close. especially with Airport more than1 hour away and possible interstate congestion delays.

Strange Port ??? The only time I can recall  ships being delayed  are due to the hurricane or mechanical issues with the ship. Actually  there were times when the cruise ships were allowed to transit the Bay when it was closing or closed  to other commercial traffic.

49 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Yes, I understand. I was just making the comment that I am not one to usually worry about travel time, but I would not feel comfortable making this flight after the cruise, driving from Baltimore.  

My mistake, sorry about that

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 2:59 PM, healthworker said:

thank you all for the honest opinions! I am cancelling this option. Forgot to mention, we are Canadian,so we have to be at airport a lot earlier than if flying domestically!  Would it be realistic to rent a car, drive to DC, keep luggage in car, see a few sights and then give car back at Reagan airport?  Would have to return car by 2 pm for the 4 pm flight.

I don't think this is a good idea for someone not familiar with DC. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:17 AM, SRF said:

I would go to the airport, drop the car, check in, then head into DC.

The Metro (subway) has a stop right at the airport. Takes you into DC, with stops close to most anything you will want to see.

And good idea, 1115 out of Reagan would be very unlikely.

The Metro on the weekend can be problematic because of weekend track work. Sunday I probably should have taken an Uber home from Reagan. Single tracking on the Yellow line. Single tracking on the Red line. Since I was on the way home though the extra 45 minutes time didn't really matter to me.

Edited by Charles4515

thank you all for the honest opinions! I am cancelling this option. Forgot to mention, we are Canadian,so we have to be at airport a lot earlier than if flying domestically!  Would it be realistic to rent a car, drive to DC, keep luggage in car, see a few sights and then give car back at Reagan airport?  Would have to return car by 2 pm for the 4 pm flight.

Good idea.  It's one of those, "it's doable if everything goes smoothly" meaning no traffic (not usually on a Saturday into DC), no issues getting off the ship you just never know.  You wouldn't have any wiggle room. 

As for renting a car and seeing sights, I'm still not sure you have much time for that if you need to return the car by 2pm.  Say you get over to Reagan, by 9 or 9:30 (IF everything goes smoothly).  That gives you maybe 4 hours tops?  That's pretty stressful. 

Actually, a rental car makes no sense in DC.   Parking is a mess and expensive.

Even when I go into DC, I park at a Metro location and use Metro.   Other than the subway, there are also buses.

There is also the Circulator bus that goes around the downtown area.  $1 to ride.

https://www.dccirculator.com/ride/rider-tools/interactive-map/

If you need to get back to the airport and the Metro is slow, just grab a taxi/Uber/Lyft.  Airport is not far from the tourist areas.

There is also the Circulator bus that goes around the downtown area.  $1 to ride.

https://www.dccirculator.com/ride/rider-tools/interactive-map/

The circulator bus is a great way to see the sights. When friends come from out of town who want to see the sights we ride the circulator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worked in downtown DC for many years -- I would not recommend driving -- and looking for parking spaces will be very time consuming.  There is also ongoing construction at Regan Airport.  Seriously consider the Circulator as Charles recommends.

19 hours ago, TheMirabelle said:

I worked in downtown DC for many years -- I would not recommend driving -- and looking for parking spaces will be very time consuming.  There is also ongoing construction at Regan Airport.  Seriously consider the Circulator as Charles recommends.

And expensive