Beach Party weekend in Galveston

airdale

I realize that there will be a massive beach party the weekend of April 17 & 18 on Galveston Island. But I was wondering how is the traffic getting on the island that following weekend usually? That would be the weekend of April 24 & 25 for this year. Any long delays usually? icon_frown.gif Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;25;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the Elation

You shouldn't have any trouble the weekend after. It will be travel as usual, which generally is without significant delays, barring some awful accident. Enjoy your trip and spend a few hours enjoying Galveston too. It's worth exploring a bit if you haven't been there before.

Does anyone know if we will have trouble getting OUT of Galveston on the 18th when we return from our cruise or should it be pretty easy to get out of town.

Jim...

Adventure of the Seas - Thanksgiving Cruise 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;11;21;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Elation - Easter Cruise 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

RCI Explorer of the Seas - Feb 2003

Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2002

NCL Seaward (AKA Norwegian Sea) - June 1992

USS Dale (CG-19) - 1990

USS Coontz (DDG-40) - 1988

You shouldn't have any trouble getting out, assuming you are parked in one of the regular parking lots on Harborside. We have a house in Galveston just a few blocks from the cruise terminal and I have made the Sunday morning of Beach Party back to Houston trip almost yearly. There will be more traffic and more speeders(and lots of police lurking to pick them up), but it has not been a massive roadblock -- especially at the time you will be leaving (mid-morning. Just go down Harborside to I-45 and you should be OK. In short, enjoy your trip and don't worry about it.

clipper, we are spending an extra day in Galveston on Saturday before we sail the next day. I was in Galveston about 10 years ago and really enjoyed the island. My father-in-law and I went to see his sister in Houston and we took a side trip to Galveston. We bought a LARGE bag of fresh shrimp and took it back to his sister's house and boiled them. Spent the next three hours eating shrimp. Man they were good. I am looking forward to going back.

We are going to be staying near pier and I am wondering what are a few of the "Don't miss sights? I know we will have to buy a loaf of bread and feed the seagulls because anytime the wife gets close to an ocean or the gulf water it is one of her favorite things to do. But other than that any other suggestions? Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;25;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the Elation

Airdale,

Moody Gardens is an entertainment complex that has an aquarium, tropical rain forest and beach. The strand is a tourist area right near the terminal. There is a group of resteraunts at the terminal area. Fishermans Wharf is my favorite with a dining area outside on the water with a good view of the cruise ships.

CELEBRATION 11/00

RHAPSODY 11/01

RHAPSODY 04/02

SPLENDOUR 11/02

RHAPSODY 04/03

RHAPSODY 09/03

ELATION 05/04

If you're staying near the pier (I'm assuming at Harbor House or the Tremont), you will be right in the Strand Historic District, Galveston's Victorian downtown area. There are lots of shops and restaurants and it's fun just to walk around. The Elissa is a tall-masted ship and maritime museum next to the cruise terminal and it's fun to tour. Right next door is an interesting audio-visual presentation relating to the Great Storm of 1900 that pretty much devastated the island. If you have a car, drive through some of the historic residential districts. There are also a number of historic house museums, among them the Bishop's Palace (at Broadway and 14th St.) and the Moody Mansion (at Broadway and 26th or so). If you have kids, they love to eat at the Rainforest Cafe (at Seawall and 61st). There is a railroad museum on 25th Street within sight of the pier at the old train station. It is in somewhat poor condition but has lots of old passenger cars you can actually walk through. And there is always the seawall and the beach. You can take the trolley from the Strand to the seawall and back. Hope you have a good time.

clipper. I'm sorry, I neglected to say that we will be staying at the Commodore on the Beach. between you suggestions and davidaperryman's suggestions we should have a great time that day! Thanks!

Until the Elation

Airdale:

If you are staying at the Commodore, a good place to eat would be Benno's at the Beach at 1200 Seawall (at 12th Street). It's a real casual seafood place where you can pretty much relive your boiled shrimp experience of yore. And it's a real Galveston tradition and less expensive (and better) than many of the fancier places.

Archived