Tour advice for Japan cruise

bobhsv

Thanks Tara Jane.  I'll get the grandchildren to try!  Another question, just your opinion if that's ok.  I have found a tour from Osaka that departs in the afternoon to Kyoto.  It returns aound 7pm into Osaka city.  I believe we would have to catch 2 trains back to port, taking approx 45 mins.  Our ship departs at 10pm, so 9pm onboard.  Have you any idea what the roads are like for this return trip from Kyoto.  ie super busy, expect delays, or less traffic at that time.  Keep in mind it's their long summer break.  We would have an hours grace to play with.  What do you think.  Ok, or bit tight?  I keep thinking if it was Singapore, yes, but if it was Bangkok, no.  

I can't really answer as I haven't been to Kobe port.  Am I correct in assuming you are docking in Kobe?

If it is bus back to Osaka from Kyoto, then 2 trains to the port I would be somewhat worried. If all aboard is 9pm and I was doing independent travel which your plan basically is I would want to be back on board 7.30 latest.    I would research the possibility of taking the train back from Kyoto to Kobe.  Its not expensive and trains are extremely reliable.

How much time will you actually have in Kyoto?   It might not be practical to take the train back depending on where the last stop for the day is.

What time do you dock?

I know it seems that I am pushing the goodwill guides but I would be more comfortable taking a goodwill guide who will meet you when you dock at an agreed location, kobe or kyoto and as the itinerary is designed specifically between you and the guide you can control what time you leave kyoto for the return trip to the ship. Take the train to Kyoto, spend some $$ on taxis with your guide,  train to other attractions when practical rather than bus as with many stops the public bus can be slow.  You will still be way ahead of a 40 passenger ships tour cost wise and have a tailored tour.

There are two versions of Hyperdia. The website and the app that can be downloaded onto iPhone as far as I am aware of. I do not use other types of phones now as I had more access to the apps I needed with iPhone.

The iPhone app has a premium service where you pay for a subscription once you are in Japan. I do not use voice prompts on it but it can be temperamental with regards to spelling.

9 hours ago, bobhsv said:

Thanks Tara Jane.  I'll get the grandchildren to try!  Another question, just your opinion if that's ok.  I have found a tour from Osaka that departs in the afternoon to Kyoto.  It returns aound 7pm into Osaka city.  I believe we would have to catch 2 trains back to port, taking approx 45 mins.  Our ship departs at 10pm, so 9pm onboard.  Have you any idea what the roads are like for this return trip from Kyoto.  ie super busy, expect delays, or less traffic at that time.  Keep in mind it's their long summer break.  We would have an hours grace to play with.  What do you think.  Ok, or bit tight?  I keep thinking if it was Singapore, yes, but if it was Bangkok, no.  

Never travel by road in Japan if you are on a deadline. Train is always better. Roads get congested easily. That is not a tight schedule if you are confident with trains.

19 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

There are two versions of Hyperdia. The website and the app that can be downloaded onto iPhone as far as I am aware of. I do not use other types of phones now as I had more access to the apps I needed with iPhone.

The iPhone app has a premium service where you pay for a subscription once you are in Japan. I do not use voice prompts on it but it can be temperamental with regards to spelling.

That's making a bit more sense now.  On the webpage there's a notice for android download, and a list of countries this subscription was available for.  Australia was not on the list.  I had assumed at the time we could download without paying for the voice subsciption, but it must be for the entire initial download too.  This must be why my android phone said unable to download.  (I doubt my grandchildren will part with their iphones for a month)

The app I downloadd was Japan Transit Planner, which works ok.  

25 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Never travel by road in Japan if you are on a deadline. Train is always better. Roads get congested easily. That is not a tight schedule if you are confident with trains.

Thanks for your opinions Brisbane41 and Tara Jane.  I had an idea road congestion may be an issue.   

Bobhsv

Feel free to email me 

gran.of2@hotmail.com 

I tried to take screenshot to attach but won't work. Happy to email you more info.

I've not subscribed and works fine on phone just the first page is different.

Edited by Tara Jane

34 minutes ago, Tara Jane said:

Bobhsv

Feel free to email me 

gran.of2@hotmail.com 

I tried to take screenshot to attach but won't work. Happy to email you more info.

I've not subscribed and works fine on phone just the first page is different.

Thanks, you have email.

The app has a 30 day free trial. After that it is paid for. Perhaps the app store is best to see if your phone can support it from there if it has an app store available.

Remember japan-guide.com gives very clear and concise instructions on what methods of transport to use and how to get to places. With a bit of adjusting you can tailor your own travel plans. That is the only website I trust for information on how to plan day trips.

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

The app has a 30 day free trial. After that it is paid for. Perhaps the app store is best to see if your phone can support it from there if it has an app store available.

Remember japan-guide.com gives very clear and concise instructions on what methods of transport to use and how to get to places. With a bit of adjusting you can tailor your own travel plans. That is the only website I trust for information on how to plan day trips.

The app store is google play, where it is not support for Australia ip addresses atm.  I can however use my data and go through the www web address.  Says something for having an iphone doesn't it!

Thanks for the japan-guide.com.  Very useful.  Have had some replies for bus tours from Osaka into Kyoto.  All replies have said they suggest private bus tours are unsuitable due to high risk of missing ship departure deadlines due to traffic conjestion.  How honest is that, when they could just take our money.  Impressed.  So, I am back to trying to find a guide and using trains.  Will let you know when I have success.  Short of that it will be ship tours (except Tokyo).  Have plenty of time to keep researching.

Appreciate everyones advice.