Kona Coffee for the un-caffeinated

galipemi

I'm hoping some discerningly caffeinated posters might be able to help me out.  I don't drink coffee.  Never have.  I know Kona coffee is reputed to be some of the best in the world.  I'm planning to bring some back from my step-mother who has a super fancy machine.  The only direction I got was  - no oily beans.  She tends to drink it with a splash of milk but not really any fancy drinks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find a "non-oily" whole bean product to bring home?  

You are going to have a hard time with this.  The oily beans are from dark roasts - all the beans I saw in Kona were dark roasted. I have a similar machine.  You need to look for a light roast.  Medium roasts are often too oily too - the definition of medium is a bit nebulous, so I find that they tend to the oily side.  So look for a light roast.  Then ask if you can open the package to see the beans. 

Having been in the cafe business for years in the past l can add these comments.

A lighter, blonde, or breakfast roast typically has more of a brighter acidic taste whereas a medium to darker roast is smoother with hints of mocha or caramel. Over roasting (SB) dark roast will have  bitter or burnt taste. As the previous poster noted, Kona Coffee is typically not light roasted  as it’s best qualities are brought out in a longer roast.

When buying Kona coffee you typically get a blend as true Kona coffee is expensive even in Hawaii. Please read the labels carefully as most Kona coffee only contains 10% Kona Coffee.  Kona Coffee is only grown on the big island and by Hawaiian law be labeled as 100% Kona Coffee.