Internet

BLAMBKY

We buy a WiFi package every cruise. My husband keeps up with emails, checks twice a day, usually while I am dressing. It seems like $11’ish sale price is usually what I get. I am now seeing two types of WiFi surf & stream $13.99 and $11.99 surf. Once on board is there a difference? It seems like I remember his card indicating surf & stream, not just surf. I know I watched a streaming tan show on my last cruise, using his code.

Edited by BLAMBKY

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, blackshirt said:

Yes, there is a difference. The surf & stream provides a faster connection to allow streaming video. The slower surf package in fine for checking emails.

Do you think the surf package is fine for checking emails and surfing internet? We won't be streaming.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:07 AM, BLAMBKY said:

We buy a WiFi package every cruise. My husband keeps up with emails, checks twice a day, usually while I am dressing. It seems like $11’ish sale price is usually what I get. I am now seeing two types of WiFi surf & stream $13.99 and $11.99 surf. Once on board is there a difference? It seems like I remember his card indicating surf & stream, not just surf. I know I watched a streaming tan show on my last cruise, using his code.

I'm confused I only see unlimited internet for hundreds of $$ on Summit what is surf and stream?

3 minutes ago, citygirl said:

I'm confused I only see unlimited internet for hundreds of $$ on Summit what is surf and stream?

Surf & Stream is the faster speed service on Royal.  On the newer ships (Oasis and Quantum class, plus a few others that have been upgraded), you can stream video with that service.

10 minutes ago, carmenOH said:

To be clear (we will be on Indy in April) will having this package allow us to send and receive text messages from home? 

The answer is yes, if your phones can use WiFi calling or you use an internet texting app like iMessage or WhatsApp.

7 minutes ago, carmenOH said:

To be clear (we will be on Indy in April) will having this package allow us to send and receive text messages from home? 

That depends on how you “text”. If your phone and carrier supports WiFi calling, you can send and receive SMS and MMS messages over the ship’s WiFi. If you don’t have WiFi calling, you need to use an alternate messaging service or app such as WhatsApp or iMessage or Facebook messenger.