Considering Our First MSC Cruise This Year, Please Share Your Experiences!

PaulInPGH

Hi all. My wife and I are strongly considering MSC for our next Med cruise, which we are hoping to book for this coming fall or possibly the fall of 2020. Until now, we've sailed primarily NCL, with a couple cruises on RCI. I'd like to hear some of your experiences on MSC, especially sailing in Europe. The good, the bad, ships to avoid (if any), etc.

I'm particularly attracted to their itineraries out of Venice as we love Venice. It looks like a lot of the ships that currently sail from Venice are on the older side, so would be interested in hearing about your experiences on those ships.

We don't need a lot of bells and wistles when we cruise, but we do appreciate good food. I've seen some very mixed reviews on the food, specifically, on MSC ships, so would also be particularly interested to hear your thoughts on that.

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Decisions, decisions!!  This is where the beauty of the back-to-back cruise comes in and I think it is such a brilliant idea if you can make the dates work for you.  It has saved me from ruined holidays and MSC definitely offers shorter breaks, and I think RCI and NCL offer shorter cruises around the Med in autumn?

I have been on most of the MSC ships now.  Most recently was the MSC Opera for 4 nights, Oct 2019 - 2 adults and 1 child.  We also had one night on the Seaview in the Yatch Club (bargain price even with the added costs of flights!!).  Upcoming we have an AIDA cruise booked and we have the Meraviglia, April 2019, for 3 nights.  We have now sailed with most cruise lines and many ships and sometimes low price can't always be the deciding factor but I know it is a REALLY hard to make a decision as there are so many different reviews and you are coming from the States.  (If I were doing a cruise to the Caribbean/Far East, I would certainly want to make the right choice).

I personally would do a cruise line I am familiar with (NCL/RCI/Princess,etc)  for the bulk of any cruise, I would then add on a 3 or 4 nighter with MSC as a taster.  Hopefully then you would be able to decide if you really are happy with the brand and can always make a future booking with them.  You then haven't had to spend a whole week or more regretting your decision and be stuck on a ship/cruiseline you are unhappy with!!

For me, I prefer the newer MSC ships as they have the LED promenade and Cirque du Soleil.  The major downside for me with MSC cruises is the amount of space given over to the Yatch club.  On Royal Caribbean, quantum or oasis class they have the solaruim, which is a public space for everyone.  On the newer MSC ships, this is the only available to suite passengers.

3 hours ago, panamapd said:

On the newer MSC ships, this is the only available to suite passengers.

Clarification - The YC is one of the experiences you can get, which includes inside rooms, balcony rooms & suites. There are other suites that are not in the YC, but are available for other MSC experiences.

Hi 😊 Venice don't allow (really) big ships to enter the city. I believe that the actual max tonnage is 100.000 GT.

When it comes to MSC Cruises only 8 of their ships are arriving/departing Venice (i e the 4 ships within the MSC Lirica class/max 2.500 pax, and the 4 ships within the MSC Musica class/max approx 3.200 pax).
That means none of MSC's newer/bigger ships.

Venice is - I find - one of the most fanastic harbours/cities in the world to cruise from. Sailing through the channel next to the Saint Marks Square and -Basilika, as well as all the ancient buildings, is an fantastic experience. I usually recommend everybody who are thinking about going on a cruise in Europe to do that. Furthermore; when departing Venice the cruise ships - usually - visit great places in at the coastline of the Adriatic Sea....Croatia, Greece etc.

Be aware of the fact that within some few years, (probably) all cruise traffic will be prohibited in to the current cruise harbour (at the left side of the map). 
There are far advanced plans to build and launch a new cruise terminal....at the mainland - outside the city centre.

VENEDIG CRUISE HARBOUR.JPG

Edited by Frode

16 hours ago, panamapd said:

Upcoming we have an AIDA cruise booked and we have the Meraviglia, April 2019, for 3 nights. 

panamapd! I am very exited to read about your upcoming experience from AIDA 🚢 I e, due to the fact that the company is German; the onboard language is German and that 99 % (?) of the passengers are Germans 🤐
(I am trying to convince my dear wife to try AIDA - or even better Mein Schiff. From what I've read, AIDA is more main stream, while Mein Schiff is more quality and style. We live in Sweden; and we both do speak German. Unfortunately, my wife is so tired of going on cruises - which I am not 😎 Next cruise will be April 1st from Rio de Janeiro - Copenhagen, Denmark....for 17 nights 🤩 However, regrettably without my dear wife. I know - it's a tough life...but someone has to do it 🤣)

Edited by Frode

Hi Frode - I will definitely report back and going with a positive, can-do, optimistic nature; I don't foresee any problems and it would be good if everyone stepped out of their comfort zone!!

So far my experience with AIDA, via their website, has been great.  I have asked questions in very simple German and have answers back in English!!

I must say I do feel for your wife and cruise fatigue and that is why we are trying AIDA.  (Incidentally, my husband and I went to South America and in particular Rio for the carnival in 2004 and had the most amazing time.  You will love it!!)

22 hours ago, Frode said:

Hi 😊 Venice don't allow (really) big ships to enter the city. I believe that the actual max tonnage is 100.000 GT.

When it comes to MSC Cruises only 8 of their ships are arriving/departing Venice (i e the 4 ships within the MSC Lirica class/max 2.500 pax, and the 4 ships within the MSC Musica class/max approx 3.200 pax).
That means none of MSC's newer/bigger ships.

Venice is - I find - one of the most fanastic harbours/cities in the world to cruise from. Sailing through the channel next to the Saint Marks Square and -Basilika, as well as all the ancient buildings, is an fantastic experience. I usually recommend everybody who are thinking about going on a cruise in Europe to do that. Furthermore; when departing Venice the cruise ships - usually - visit great places in at the coastline of the Adriatic Sea....Croatia, Greece etc.

Be aware of the fact that within some few years, (probably) all cruise traffic will be prohibited in to the current cruise harbour (at the left side of the map). 
There are far advanced plans to build and launch a new cruise terminal....at the mainland - outside the city centre.

VENEDIG CRUISE HARBOUR.JPG

As far as I have been informed the new cruise terminal in Venice will be used as from 2020.  This is the reason that I have finally booked my Venice to Greek Islands for this autumn.  

I considered MSC because it did seem better value.  In the end a NCL itinerary persuaded me to stick to my favourite line (the freestyle dining keeps us there).  I will try a MSC soon - the question posed by the OP could be mine. 

Edited by ollienbertsmum