Ideas for Transfers

lifeasme123

I am looking for suggestions on how to get from point A to B:

1.  Airport to Apt:  We arrive into Barcelona early Friday morning (1am).  We rented an apartment near Placa Cataluyna.  

2,  Apt to Cruise Port:  Is there Uber in Spain?

3.  Cruise Port to Train Station:  going to Madrid after the cruise.

Regarding train tickets, if anyone has caught a train from Barcelona to Madrid after a cruise, I would love your suggestions.  Should I book the tickets beforehand?  What time should I get the train tickets?  Ship docks at 5am (Yikes!)  I did not realize that until just now!  Does this mean RCCL expect us to get off the ship that early???

On 1/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, lifeasme123 said:

1.  Airport to Apt:  We arrive into Barcelona early Friday morning (1am).  We rented an apartment near Placa Cataluyna.  

Regarding train tickets, if anyone has caught a train from Barcelona to Madrid after a cruise, I would love your suggestions.  Should I book the tickets beforehand?  What time should I get the train tickets?  Ship docks at 5am (Yikes!)  I did not realize that until just now!  Does this mean RCCL expect us to get off the ship that early???

1. Make sure that you can get in your appt @1am. Unless there are things there like lock box or smart lock I doubt that owner will be around.

2. Take taxi. There is Uber but it's not much cheaper and subject to 15 min delay (to appeal to taxi industry which keeps strking anyway)

As far as train goes buy as a soon they appear on Renfe site. Cheaper tickets sell out fast. And full price ones are much of a bargain. Yes it's possible to stay later on the ship and eat breakfast. Don't know exact time but up to 10am sounds reasonable.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:39 PM, lifeasme123 said:

1.  From the airport, that time of "morning" we would probably opt for a taxi (you will pay a higher fare that time of night).  Uber is more of a question then fact but you can certainly open the app and see what happens.  Uber is very controversial in Spain (and Europe) and the situation always seems to be changing.

2.  To get to the Cruise port is not that far so a taxi (or Uber if it works) would be fine.  

3.  More of a problem since there is a great demand for taxis at the port.  If you have a train reservation then give yourself a lot of extra time since there may be a long taxi queue at your pier.  Also keep in mind that you will need to deal with your own luggage at the train station, getting everything on the train, and putting it in a secure area.  I actually own a retractable cable lock (made for luggage) which I use to secure luggage on trains...since it sometimes must be left at the end of the car in or near a rack.  There are quite a few similar luggage cable locks for sale online at places like Amazon.   For us, it has given us peace of mind when we travel throughout Europe.

One question for you.  You mentioned that you rented an apartment (we have done this in several places throughout Europe).  We assume you have worked out how you get into the apartment at 2am (or whenever you get there).  That can be an issue with some rentals.

Hank

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

1.  From the airport, that time of "morning" we would probably opt for a taxi (you will pay a higher fare that time of night).  Uber is more of a question then fact but you can certainly open the app and see what happens.  Uber is very controversial in Spain (and Europe) and the situation always seems to be changing.

2.  To get to the Cruise port is not that far so a taxi (or Uber if it works) would be fine.  

3.  More of a problem since there is a great demand for taxis at the port.  If you have a train reservation then give yourself a lot of extra time since there may be a long taxi queue at your pier.  Also keep in mind that you will need to deal with your own luggage at the train station, getting everything on the train, and putting it in a secure area.  I actually own a retractable cable lock (made for luggage) which I use to secure luggage on trains...since it sometimes must be left at the end of the car in or near a rack.  There are quite a few similar luggage cable locks for sale online at places like Amazon.   For us, it has given us peace of mind when we travel throughout Europe.

One question for you.  You mentioned that you rented an apartment (we have done this in several places throughout Europe).  We assume you have worked out how you get into the apartment at 2am (or whenever you get there).  That can be an issue with some rentals.

Hank

Thank you Hank!

1.  I am considering taxi or a private transfer.  The apt we rented has a smart key so the manager does not need to be there.

2. Taxi it is then.  The ship docks at 5am. I am looking at a 9AM train.  If I get off the ship about 730AM I should be ok? I am surprised how expensive the fast train ticket is, given we paid about $20 USD from Rome to Naples.

3.  I never thought about a retractable cable lock!  Thanks for this suggestion.

That 9am train causes you a minor dilemma.  You could wait until, perhaps 7:30 and pray that there are plenty of taxis and a short queue.  But that is not guaranteed.  So, in your situation we would be off the ship very early, which takes away the anxiety about taxi queues.  But the bummer is then you will likely have a long wait at the train station.   Sometimes independent travel means those longer waits, but that's life.  

Speaking of Madrid, if you are not familiar with Spain...prepare yourself to dine late :).   Many years ago, during our first visit to Spain, we decided we would be very "Spanish" and go out to dinner at 9pm.  We called a restaurant for reservations (this was not in Madrid) and the friendly owner told us he really didn't even open until 9:30!   We went at 10pm and still were among the early diners.  Madrid does have plenty of places where you can dine earlier, but you will likely be surrounded by other tourists :).

Hank

21 hours ago, hkto said:

1. Make sure that you can get in your appt @1am. Unless there are things there like lock box or smart lock I doubt that owner will be around.

2. Take taxi. There is Uber but it's not much cheaper and subject to 15 min delay (to appeal to taxi industry which keeps strking anyway)

As far as train goes buy as a soon they appear on Renfe site. Cheaper tickets sell out fast. And full price ones are much of a bargain. Yes it's possible to stay later on the ship and eat breakfast. Don't know exact time but up to 10am sounds reasonable.

thank you!  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of Madrid, if you are not familiar with Spain...prepare yourself to dine late :).   Many years ago, during our first visit to Spain, we decided we would be very "Spanish" and go out to dinner at 9pm.  We called a restaurant for reservations (this was not in Madrid) and the friendly owner told us he really didn't even open until 9:30!   We went at 10pm and still were among the early diners.  Madrid does have plenty of places where you can dine earlier, but you will likely be surrounded by other tourists :).

Hank

That reminds me of Rome!!!  

When we were in Madrid this past May, due to a long flight delay, we ate at 6pm and yes...along with other tourists.

When do the Renfe tickets become available?  I am having trouble with that site.