Northern Lights, Jan. 25 - Feb. 6, Bergen to London

hobse

On this trip now.  Overnight in Bergen, sailed this afternoon and now in open water on way to Narvik.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  Very good info and tips provided on the previous trip's roll call board.   Desire is right, the Success Cake in Mamsen's is wonderfull! 

We did not do any excursions in Bergen as we have been there before and just wandered about.  We heard from others that the buses were incredibly hot.  I will try and post on our future excursions, ships and independent.  And answer some questions others have had.  DO bring hooks for the walls to hang your coats.  We use the Command brand removable hooks that work very well.  We also brought along a string to tie back the drape that wants to cover the door.

Ship temperature on board has been comfortable for us so far.  Just a light shirt and vest have been sufficient.  Except for the fitness center that is way too hot!  If you work out too hard you may pass out!  

Your room steward can arrange with maintenance to turn off your heated bathroom floor, as we did.  It was just too hot in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sea day yesterday between Bergen and Narvik.  Sea was calm and a mostly clear and sunny day.  But that changed.  Snowed quite a bit overnight.  Lots of shoveling off the decks.  

Unfortunately, those seeking input about the Ofoten Railway and snowmobile or dog sledding excursions will have to wait.  Both trips were cancelled today.  Although the railway was running, we were told they were afraid of not getting us back on the Swedish snowy roads.  We were all set to go this morning but the cancellation was last minute.  It was a huge disappointment, but it happens.  That left very little options for us.  So we just hopped on one of the included bus tours for a drive around, and then later went back to town using the shuttle.

We depart here at 6 PM, and off to Alta next.

The WWII museum near where the free shuttle drops you off in town was very interesting. We were on the last cruise. We did have the best luck seeing the northern lights about a half hour after our ship left Tromso. Got really good at dressing quickly when the ship made the northern lights announcement. We wish you clear a clear sky and calm sea!

Well, it depends!  How is that for a definitive answer.  What is your physical ability? Are you active?  Or prefer to ride around?  The included tour in Narvik, "Panoramic Narvik" was mostly a short (1.5 hour) bus tour around town.  There was a short stop at Ankenes Church for photos.  

The included tour in Alta, "The City of Northern Lights", was a bus (3 buses) drive to the Alta Museum.  It is a cute, very small museum about their rock carvings that can't be seen in the winter due to snow.  There is a nice view over a lake.  But the stop was about 30+ minutes too long.  If you are somewhat active there are several good optional things to do in Alta in winter, either with the ship or independent.

• Haha 1

Arrived Alta about noon Jan. 29.  It is cold but manageable.  Hot Hands are great for pockets!  We went on the included tour, and were going to take a taxi to the Igloo hotel but never got around to it.  We booked an independent Northern Lights tour because we wanted a smaller group.  Big groups, small groups, Nothern Lights did not appear even though it was clear.  

Today in Alta we booked an independent tour with Flatmoen.  It is a local father/son owned company.  You visit the countryside in a horse drawn sleigh from their beautiful ranch.  If anyone is looking for a low key few hours, away from the crowds, and like nature, this is it.  They were lovely hosts.  

Still hoping for the lights, but we depart at 11 p.m. tonight and head to Tromso.

• Haha 1

Great, flatmoennatur.no

Johnnie and Levi are wonderful.

Forgot to mention earlier, there were shuttles at Narvik and Alta.  Both running every half hour.  Narvik drops off at the library next to the war museum.  Alta drops off at the Visitor Information Center.  Both ran exactly on time.

We have snow boots with good traction and so far have not felt the need for ice cleats.  But good soles are the key.

• Thanks 1

We did all the included tours, which gave us good overviews of the areas. Booked them early at each port to give us time to revisit areas we found interesting. We thought all were worthwhile, with the exception of the one in Bodo, where we had a guide (probably her first time) who had a hard time translating her language into english, so we were clueless. All tours were on comfortable buses with a few photo stops. After the tour In Stravanger, we walked back to the oil museum for a more in depth look. The Tromso tour included a stop at a domed theater where we viewed an excellent movie on the Northern Lights. The next morning, on our own, took the city bus (26) across the bridge to the cable car. Then a short ride to the top of the mountain for a spectacular view of the entire area. We found the time spent in the Alta museum with the rock carvings excellent - very informative with many examples of the carved and painted rocks and history of the area. Another good movie downstairs with northern lights and many shots of the outdoor carvings only visible in the summer months. We went back on the free shuttle (loved that Viking offers this) to the visitor center for a short walk to the Northern Lights Cathedral. Titanium skin was quite stunning in the morning sun! Very modern, upbeat with an additional Northern lights exhibit downstairs. There is a cost for entrance to the cathedral and exhibit. We did go to the igloo hotel (shared a cab with another couple from the ship). I imagined a small igloo - boy was I surprised. Very large with twenty-eight bedrooms, six decorated suites, an ice chapel, a nice bar (with blue drinks) and lots of ice carvings. There is a charge for entrance and for the drink. Glad we went. A few stayed overnight. Beds were blocks of ice covered with animal pelts. No bathrooms in the icehouse. Had to run across to the heated building with a nice sauna. Not our cup of tea. In Narvik, the war museum near the free shuttle stop is a must see. Hope these thoughts give you some good ideas. Keep in mind the very short daylight hours and that most ports are covered with snow with snow probably in the forecast. We were thankful for the cozy buses.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Woohoo!!  Boy did we hit the jackpot tonight in Tromso!!  We saw Northern Lights like never imagined.  Better than any documentary, Nat Geo film we have ever seen.   Truly hard to describe.  They danced, sang, and played the piano.  They were Angel's, ballerinas, and everything in between.  Everyone tells you that you will only see white with the naked eye, but green or so from your camera.  Not tonight! We saw white, green, pink, blue.  JUST MAGNIFICANT.  

There were many ship excursion buses that went out.  Our first bus stop was not the best.  We had street lights from a church and a house.  But the NL came out early about 8 pm and we were happy, but we asked to go somewhere darker.  We moved a couple miles, which was better and the NL were better and all were happy.  It was getting late, so we started heading back but may stop again.  Then WOW, out the bus window they appeared.  The driver pulled over as soon as he could, it was a dark place, and for the next 30 minutes or so, it was a performance.  So for 3 hours minus a short intermission we were thrilled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hobse....curious as to whether you had 2 evening Northern Lights excursions booked prior to the trip (one in Alta and Tromso) or did you add the 2nd excursion having not had much luck with the one in Alta?  I have one booked for Alta in the March sailing, but not for Tromso. Anyway, glad you saw them! Can't wait and hope we get as fortunate - especially in Alta since I have the ship's excursion booked. 

I might also ask..how have the evening temps been? 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

2 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Hobse....curious as to whether you had 2 evening Northern Lights excursions booked prior to the trip (one in Alta and Tromso) or did you add the 2nd excursion having not had much luck with the one in Alta?  I have one booked for Alta in the March sailing, but not for Tromso. Anyway, glad you saw them! Can't wait and hope we get as fortunate - especially in Alta since I have the ship's excursion booked. 

Yes, we had two booked prior to cruising.  We booked independent in Alta, however ship tour or independents in Alta saw no lights that night.  They just did not appear.  We wanted to book independent in Tromso originally but our top guide choice was already booked, so decided on the ships.  It is all up to nature, we were just REALLY fortunate tonight.

12 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Tonight was cold.  Tromso town was about 10f / -12c.  Where we stopped for NL got to about -13f / -25c.

Hand and toe warmers are your friend.

Thanks. One of the big concerns is certainly to have adequate winter clothing. I think we're just about good to go now. It's been a great opportunity here lately to test some new clothing being that the polar vortex has taken us down unusually low -  0 to minus temps. Were your NL excursions with GLØD?  From correspondence I've had over the past few months, it seems they are the company that does the Viking tours. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

12 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Thanks. One of the big concerns is certainly to have adequate winter clothing. I think we're just about good to go now. It's been a great opportunity here lately to test some new clothing being that the polar vortex has taken us down unusually low -  0 to minus temps. Were your NL excursions with GLØD?  From correspondence I've had over the past few months, it seems they are the company that does the Viking tours. 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:18 AM, hobse said:

On this trip now.  Overnight in Bergen, sailed this afternoon and now in open water on way to Narvik.  Tomorrow is a sea day.  Very good info and tips provided on the previous trip's roll call board.   Desire is right, the Success Cake in Mamsen's is wonderfull! 

We did not do any excursions in Bergen as we have been there before and just wandered about.  We heard from others that the buses were incredibly hot.  I will try and post on our future excursions, ships and independent.  And answer some questions others have had.  DO bring hooks for the walls to hang your coats.  We use the Command brand removable hooks that work very well.  We also brought along a string to tie back the drape that wants to cover the door.

Ship temperature on board has been comfortable for us so far.  Just a light shirt and vest have been sufficient.  Except for the fitness center that is way too hot!  If you work out too hard you may pass out!  

Your room steward can arrange with maintenance to turn off your heated bathroom floor, as we did.  It was just too hot in there.

May I ask what category of room you're referring to? Is there not enough closet space? Thanks for the suggestion - might do this. Certainly is something that would not have occurred to me to bring along! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 2:20 AM, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Yes Glod runs Viking's Alta Northern Lights excursions.  

12 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

May I ask what category of room you're referring to? Is there not enough closet space? Thanks for the suggestion - might do this. Certainly is something that would not have occurred to me to bring along! 

We are in a PV.  Plenty of storage here with the extra set of drawers and larger desk.  However, it is much easier to hang the coats, other things you may want to air out, on the wall hooks.  Then just grab and go.

Tromso.  We highly recommend the Home Visit in Lyngen Alps ship excursion.  It was probably the best ship excursion we have ever taken, and felt it was worth it.  It is a longer day and drive but the scenery was beautiful.  I wasn't sure about this excursion at first when the other half wanted to do it.  But I loved it from the start.  It is a small group tour.  We were in a 15 passenger van that was snug with everyone's coats and such.  Drove about 40 minutes, got on a ferry for about 20 minutes, drove another 40 minutes to these lovely peoples home.  The area all around does look like the Alps.  Our hosts, Kristin and Asbjorn were very welcoming, warm, super.  You could sit inside their home and enjoy the view or you could play outside.  We sledded and snowshoed and had a delicious stew.  It was a great day!