Icelandair luggage limits

DinnyClaire

Throwing out a question to anyone that has used Icelandair in the past.  The website shows that the "new" max dimensions of a carry-on bag is 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches.  I am questioning that 7.8 inch portion.   My (under-seat) bag falls well within the width & height limits, but measures 8.4" in depth and could go larger if I really stuff it.  Never had an issue with other airlines.  How strict is Icelandair on measurements??   

Thanks in advance.

I was worried about measurements and weight limitations on our carry on bags last year.  Then they didn't even glance at them when we checked in at Boston.  I don't know if they would have cared at a different airport, but I don't think you should worry too much about it.   They're a pretty good airline service-wise so enjoy your flights.  

The carryon (in the overhead bin) and your personal item (underseat) don’t have the same size restrictions. 

Carry-on Baggage Allowance

Your carry-on bag must fit in the overhead bin.  

Maximum dimensions: 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches (55 x 40 x 20 cm), including handles and wheels. The maximum weight is 22 lb (10 kg). 

In addition, passengers can bring on board 1 small item such as a handbag, backpack or laptop bag that must fit under the seat in front of you.  

Maximum dimensions of the small item: 15.7 x 11.8 x 5.9 inches (40 x 30 x 15 cm). 

Please note: Due to space limitations, Saga Premium Flex passengers may be asked to check in their second piece of carry-on baggage. This will not be counted towards the checked baggage allowance and no additional charges will apply.

Abide by the measurements then you don't have to worry about how strict they are.

Even if every FI passenger in history responds to say they have never run into any issues all you need is some new employee keen to follow the rules or an airline directive to measure all carry on bags and you're toast. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, DinnyClaire said:

Throwing out a question to anyone that has used Icelandair in the past.  The website shows that the "new" max dimensions of a carry-on bag is 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches.  I am questioning that 7.8 inch portion.   My (under-seat) bag falls well within the width & height limits, but measures 8.4" in depth and could go larger if I really stuff it.  Never had an issue with other airlines.  How strict is Icelandair on measurements??   

Thanks in advance.

A 21.6x15.7x7.8 (or 8.4) bag is NOT going to fit under the seat.  I think maybe you're referring to your bag that would go in the overhead bin? 

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Then they didn't even glance at them when we checked in at Boston.  I don't know if they would have cared at a different airport, but I don't think you should worry too much about it.

One individual anecdote isn't really enough to say "don't worry about it."  Are you going to pay the OP's bag fee if they DO measure?  Always best to have a bag that fits the stated dimensions, and is within the stated weight allowance.   It only takes one employee having a bad day (or having just been reprimanded for not following rules, etc.) to wind up with a fee.