Escape the Big Top

barb65

11 minutes ago, barb65 said:

We are thinking of doing Escape the Big Top on our next cruise on the Escape in May. Your thoughts from anyone who has ever done this. Thank you!

It is fun,,,, and more importantly it is free. Book on embarkation day at the Escape Theater, Deck 7, Forward Starboard Theater Entrance. 

You work in a team of 8-10 people to solve a series of puzzles and escape the big top before the 45 minute timer expires. (Everyone can work on a different puzzle, but all are needed to escape). 

image.png.c7c69541079e2d51c269558994d4b702.png

Edited by BirdTravels

We did this as a family in November (4 of us) and found it to just be OK.  It's free is about the best thing...we thought some of the clues were pretty obscure and solving the puzzles ... once is enough of an experience for us.  No one in any of our groups solved all the puzzles.  Maybe that's just us.  It might be more fun if you are in a large group and you've had a few beverages. 

Not something I would do again.  I guess it depends on your group.  Our group seemed too big.  One person sort of "took over" and the rest of us were pretty much left out unable to see the clues, hear the discussion etc.  We also had a lot of young kids running around putting random numbers in the "treasure chest".  Eventually they were the ones to get it open by chance.  I honestly would have enjoyed Howl at the Moon, a comedy show, live music etc. much more.

We had a good time and met some nice people. We didn't solve the whole thing, but we solved a lot of the puzzles and had a good time. It's more of a puzzle room than a real Escape Room, so just go into it with that expectation. No one actually solved it when we did it. 

My opinion only...

If you have a group of people that you are with...it will be a blast!  If you are seated with people you don't know (and have no idea about their personalities) it could be a challenge.  Like spdwain stated above, there could be someone in your group who will be fun-sucking and dictate.  Not my idea of a good time. One and done for me, but I am glad I tried it (and yes, it was free). 

Tip:  Don't go if you had a drink, because some of those people are truly into winning!  It was like Black Friday at Wal-Mart!  LOL!

Again, JMO and my experience.  YMMV 🙂

We did Escape the Big Top on our recent January 6, 2019 sailing.

As big fans of escape room games, we went in very skeptical, but came out more satisfied than expected. This is not a professional escape room by any stretch of the imagination, but there is some merit here, and if you don't take the experience too seriously (and have a fun team), you will enjoy yourselves. 

It's free, and you have absolutely nothing to lose, to be quite frank. Choose a time where you don't have any other competing activities and let yourselves have fun. 

As others have mentioned, some of the challenges are far-fetched, so take it all with the proverbial grain of salt. 

Enjoy!

We had fun when we did it last June.  Takeaways from the experience are 1.  Don't be too young.  Little kids cannot help.  It's too hard.  My 13 and 15 year olds did great.  2.  Don't be too old.  My 80 year old mother, who still has all her faculties, found it to be too difficult, although, alcohol may have affected her.  3.  Book early.  We booked on the first day of sailing which was a Sunday, and the earliest they could put us in was Thursday night.  4.  Be okay with working with a group of strangers unless you have a big group of friends/family with you.  We had people from 3 different cabins working together and it was kind of strange.