?s Re: Using A Scooter On Rhapsody OTS

mlbcruiser

My dh used a regular type scooter (not a folding or travel scooter) on Harmony OTS last year. We are considering a future cruise on Rhapsody OTS, which we were on many years ago, although with no scooter issue then.  I know one can use a scooter on most or all of the RCI ships. Just wondering if it's a lot more difficult on the Rhapsody due to hallway width and so on (?).  Another issue is the dates we are looking at don't have any accessible cabins left. As long as it's possible to be able to at least squeeze past a scooter stored inside a normal sized cabin (not a suite) on the Rhapsody, it doesn't matter to us all that much whether we get an accessible one or not. (Our budget doesn't allow for a suite.) So I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a scooter on this ship or traveled with someone who did and can comment from personal experience.
Thanks for any informed replies.

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 1:19 AM, mlbcruiser said:

My dh used a regular type scooter (not a folding or travel scooter) on Harmony OTS last year. We are considering a future cruise on Rhapsody OTS, which we were on many years ago, although with no scooter issue then.  I know one can use a scooter on most or all of the RCI ships. Just wondering if it's a lot more difficult on the Rhapsody due to hallway width and so on (?).  Another issue is the dates we are looking at don't have any accessible cabins left. As long as it's possible to be able to at least squeeze past a scooter stored inside a normal sized cabin (not a suite) on the Rhapsody, it doesn't matter to us all that much whether we get an accessible one or not. (Our budget doesn't allow for a suite.) So I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a scooter on this ship or traveled with someone who did and can comment from personal experience.
Thanks for any informed replies.

Some of the older RCL ships have narrower doors, even in accessible cabins.  I did the rhapsody with a walker, but have since done the Grandeur with a scooter.  Mine is folding but even in the accessible cabin I had a hard time turning into the room.  Now I freewheeled and drag it through the doorway.  

Some of the rooms I've been in did not have space enough to change your mind and even a walker was a problem.   I’ve found with a sofa I can usually park in front of it and still get out of bed, in an ocean view room.  

The halls are narrow as is my scooter but most of the time the room steward is running to move the cart before I get there, and I can actually pass most of them.  Most of the time once they know you have a scooter they try to put carts where you can get by, if possible, too.  

Remember most of my scooter experience is the grandeur and even same class ships can have different width halls!  I can’t believe they can get much smaller than the Grandeur, but I don’t recall about the Rhapsody.   On the Equinox I discovered one hall was wider than the other, confirmed by stewards.  The Silhouette are the same was the smaller of the Equinox.  My walker is wider than most, and definitely than a scooter and could not pass a cart on the Silhouette.