Board problems

mmp13

Had the same problems the other day after writing a reply and the message says server unavailable. I have broadband service and this site is slower than all others I go on. There are days when I just don't have the time to post. Pat

Is anybody else having trouble getting on these boards? I frequently get a service unavailable message. Maybe it is my computer?

I frequently have the same problem accessing cruise critic, and we have DSL. It is not your computer, because I do research at many different websites and only encounter this situation with cruise critic. If a typical business had similar ongoing problems with their website, they would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Had the same problems the other day after writing a reply and the message says server unavailable. I have broadband service and this site is slower than all others I go on. There are days when I just don't have the time to post. Pat

That happens to me quite frequently when I write a reply to a post on cruise critic. Since it happens so often, I highlight almost every post I write and click "copy" from my computer's edit menu before I click the website's "submit reply" button. This way if my post gets lost in cyberspace because of the ongoing problems with cruise critic's website, my message is saved and I can simply repost it.

I have had the same problems with high speed cable connection. I do not have problems with any other site. There are just too many people with nothing much to say trying to get on these boards;). I have no problems getting on at 4am or 5 am though. If it's important enough to say... it's the early bird etc...

d*** obsessions.

• Administrators

Hello All:

We are aware of the problems, and we're working to get them fixed. As you know we were able to successfully switch over to our brand new, larger database server. But, it appears we still need to "tweak" settings or some such techie jargon. My webmaster assures me that the access issues are the top priority of the day!

Laura

That happens to me quite frequently when I write a reply to a post on cruise critic. Since it happens so often, I highlight almost every post I write and click "copy" from my computer's edit menu before I click the website's "submit reply" button. This way if my post gets lost in cyberspace because of the ongoing problems with cruise critic's website, my message is saved and I can simply repost it.

Very wise...I do the exact same thing sometimes I tend to be 'long-winded' and don't feel like typing out the whole post again. A quick cut-n-paste into notepad is a wonderful thing :D

Today there are so many people, with almost no computer background, who create personal websites that run very smoothly. That is why I feel there is no acceptable excuse for the extensive technical problems that continuously plague cruise critic's website.

While I am frustrated by the problems that sometimes plague this board, I think that the staff does a pretty good job of explaining the issues they are having and the steps they are taking to resolve them. As someone who works in the IT business, I know these things can be very difficult to debug.

I suspect there has been a major upturn in traffic as people return to their normal routines after the holidays and they are planning their vacations for the upcoming year.

After all, it is free (at least for me).

Chris

It does get frustrating at times.

Not only has been been so slow (5+ minutes to raster a page, if it rasters at all), sometimes service has been altogether unavailable at times.

Host Walt,

I thought we went through a major overhaul a year or so ago. Is the service that houses your servers going under? The service providers aren't supporting this site very well.

Thank you all! It's not me after all! I was beginning to wonder if that memory upgrade and operating system upgrade (Tiger on a Mac) combined with cable access were all part of a giant hoax. LOL.:)

Being able to check out CC at the end of a long day is such a treat!

Well I'm glad to hear you're all having problems. Wait that sounded wrong. For the last three days page loading and timeouts-even on cable connections have been a bear. Glad to see their working on it though. LOL- I'm a month away from sailing I MUST get my daily dose of anticipation.

John

Office of Hearing Waves in my Pillow

The Zamgwar Institute

It does get frustrating at times.

Not only has been been so slow (5+ minutes to raster a page, if it rasters at all), sometimes service has been altogether unavailable at times.

Host Walt,

I thought we went through a major overhaul a year or so ago. Is the service that houses your servers going under? The service providers aren't supporting this site very well.

See Laura's earlier response. I'm not there (where the servers are located) but based on my limited knowledge of the problems, there are two primary issues;

1. There was a blade failure that caused some data to be inaccessible and a backup restore function had to be used on the fly; both are iffy propositions. And the capacity impact from the blade failure only added to the problem.

2. CC is the largest user of the new (last year) hosting service and is a real live volume testing situation that has shown some overload issues.

Believe me when I say that the frustration you all feel is only a tiny fraction of the frustration that Laura and the rest of the staff feel with these issues.

Archived