Dining Package with Kids

eiloo

We've never typically opted for this, but considering a Balcony on the Joy in Alaska this summer.

They currently allow to choose up to 6 of their perks.  We're not drinkers and will pass on the beverage package.

1) I noticed as you choose the dining package there is a $15.80 x 2 charge that is added to your final payment.  Is this the gratuity for all 3 meals that we can book?  Or will there be an additional gratuity charged after we eat at the restaurant?

2) Also, my two young kids have typically eaten off the kids menu from the MDR when we had Platinum specialty dinners.  Would that be frowned upon or can it still be done with the specialty dinner perk offer?

3) I figure the Teppanyaki would be a fun time for the kids and would not have a problem paying for them since they are taking up a seat that could be used for revenue.

Any additional thoughts or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks!!

49 minutes ago, eiloo said:

We've never typically opted for this, but considering a Balcony on the Joy in Alaska this summer.

They currently allow to choose up to 6 of their perks.  We're not drinkers and will pass on the beverage package.

1) I noticed as you choose the dining package there is a $15.80 x 2 charge that is added to your final payment.  Is this the gratuity for all 3 meals that we can book?  Or will there be an additional gratuity charged after we eat at the restaurant? This is the 20% gratuity on the package.  No addl tipping is necessary.

2) Also, my two young kids have typically eaten off the kids menu from the MDR when we had Platinum specialty dinners.  Would that be frowned upon or can it still be done with the specialty dinner perk offer?They should be able to eat off the childrens menu with no problems. If they want to eat off the specialty menu there would be a charge (unless you purchased a dining plan for them also)

3) I figure the Teppanyaki would be a fun time for the kids and would not have a problem paying for them since they are taking up a seat that could be used for revenue.

Any additional thoughts or concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks!!

Thanks Gampy.  

It's still a bit early for me to try in my account but if I decide to make reservations for these restaurants for four people, will that end up charging for the kids?  Or is it just a reservation and doesn't take payment?  My vague memory leads me to believe it's just a reservation.

Edited by eiloo

53 minutes ago, eiloo said:

Thanks Gampy.  

It's still a bit early for me to try in my account but if I decide to make reservations for these restaurants for four people, will that end up charging for the kids?  Or is it just a reservation and doesn't take payment?  My vague memory leads me to believe it's just a reservation.

If you have the SDP they won’t charge you, even for four.

Just wanted to let you know that the only place you would have to pay full price for the kids at specialty restaurants is the Teppenyaki. At the other specialty restaurants, you just make the reservation for the family, and when you arrive at the restaurant you just let the waiter know that two of you will be paying with your dining package and that the children will just have meals from the childrens menu (of course at no extra charge).

At specialty restaurants you also have an additional choice for the children, and that is to let them pay "a-la-carte" prices. Both starters and desserts are priced low (most dishes $3-$5), so if your children are young and don't eat "full adult meals", that is an option as well. 

You don't have to pay for the kids at Teppenyaki if they order from the kids menu.  This is my experience (they even gave my kids some of the rice they made which was nice because my daughter loves rice).

From NCL website:

"Kids 12 and under eat free from the complimentary kids' menu at all specialty restaurants. Excludes dinner and a show dining events."

You can also ask for any meal from any main dining restaurant to be delivered to your specialty restaurant. Just head by Taste/Savor and take a look at that evenings meal options. The options from the kids menu aren't that great and get pretty stale after a week.

My kids usually order off the kids menu at the specialty restaurants.  Sometimes at Teppenyake they will order 1 hibachi meal to share...never been a problem.  We once ate at Cagneys and my son told the waiter he was just going to eat some of mine...waiter asked how he liked his steak and brought him his own sirloin without charging us.  We have always had great experiences at the specialty restaurants and usually buy a 3 or 4 meal plan if it isn't covered with the reservation. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:09 PM, jole said:

You don't have to pay for the kids at Teppenyaki if they order from the kids menu.  This is my experience (they even gave my kids some of the rice they made which was nice because my daughter loves rice).

From NCL website:

"Kids 12 and under eat free from the complimentary kids' menu at all specialty restaurants. Excludes dinner and a show dining events."

This one is hit and miss -- sometimes they let it go, and sometimes they charge. We went last summer on Dawn with my 4 year old son and 8 year old niece who both ordered from the kids menu. They told us at the beginning that we would have to pay for both kids, but in the end they only charged us for one of them.

6 hours ago, gymbomb said:

This one is hit and miss -- sometimes they let it go, and sometimes they charge. We went last summer on Dawn with my 4 year old son and 8 year old niece who both ordered from the kids menu. They told us at the beginning that we would have to pay for both kids, but in the end they only charged us for one of them.

I guess it's another inconstant policy...  but like Two_UW_Badgers my experience was on Breakaway so maybe it's different by ships in which ones consider Teppanyaki a dinner and "show"