Breakaway Review - January 10 day cruise

oracer

Here is my review of my recent cruise on the NCL Breakaway (Jan 17-27).  Here is a little background.   My wife and I (mid – 50’s) went on our first cruise in 10 years without the kids.   We were concerned at first to go for 10 days as we have always done 7 day cruises.   I will comment later on what we liked about the 10 days.   We purchased a sailaway inside room at a very low price only 1 ½ months prior to the cruise.  I had read about the upgrade program prior to purchase the cruise and made sure that my TA participated in the program.   I then started tracking other cruises of the same length prior to Christmas and right after Christmas for what bids people were placing on their upgrades.   My wife and I always enjoyed a balcony and have for all of our cruises gone to the Spa.  We like the ability to be out of the sun and enjoy the different options of the sauna, steam, salt rooms and the whirlpool and therapy pool that NCL and other boats have.  Since my only real upgrade would be a Spa Balcony, we decided to really only bid on that one.  I did bid the absolute minimum on the other two, but concentrated on the Spa.   Finally landing on what it would cost us to purchase the Spa Thermal Package, we were upgraded 10 days prior to the cruise to the Spa balcony room.   Also prior to the cruise, we purchased the 5 day Specialty package and the Cirque Show.   Lastly, we did not purchase the UDP, but I would say 80% of the boat had.   My thoughts on that was that I am just a casual drinker and my wife likes really nice wine, so at the end of the day I could not justify the $716 that it would have cost me to purchase the inside room with one benefit (which would have been the UDP).   My bar bill at the end of the 10 day cruise for us both was $310, so to me it was a save for me to just buy drinks when I wanted them).  Yes, I would have gotten more drinks, but just not the “shape” that I saw a lot of people in.

Embarkation:   We got to New Orleans from Charlotte the same day as the cruise started.  I have to say that was a lot of stress prior to the cruise, but I think half the plane was people on the cruise, so they would have had a lot of reservations to get people to Cozumel if the flight had been delayed.  We got into New Orleans at 9:15am, took a taxi to the port ($36) and was at the ship by 10:00.  There was no line at the sign-in desk, but we waited till about 11:15 before our group (5) was called.   Took about 10 minutes from when the group was called to the time we actually walked on board at deck 6.   Decided to do lunch at the restaurant (Savor) and that ended up being a good choice.  Really liked the menu for the lunch at these restaurants that it gives you good options and each time we did it, came out actually warm to hot.  

Food:  As I stated, we did 5 nights Specialty (Ocean Blue, Le Bistro, Teppanaki, and Cagney’s twice).  Pre-cruise I had very bad reservations times (8:30 to 9 pm), but was able to change each one of them right when I boarded the boat.  I just went to Headliners where they were taking reservations and moved my reservations to the times (between 5:30 to 7:30) based on my schedule.   I was concerned times would be sold out, but not when I walked on the boat.  Every time, every day was available when I got on.   I did hear that by the next day (first sea day that a lot of places got sold out), so it is smart to do this as one of the first things that you do when you get on the boat.   Cagney’s ended up being our favorite, the appetizers (which you can really get 2-3 of them) are very good.  The Surf and Turf was our main choice, but we did also have the Pork Chop. Teppenaki was our second favorite for the selection (we got not only surf and turf, but added the scallops as well with no extra cost) that you could do.  Be prepared for TOO MUCH FOOD.  Having it prepared with the chef is always fun and entertaining.  Third favorite was Le Bistro, mainly because the appetizers are good as well.  You were only allowed 2 of them, but since my wife only got one, she was given the chance to get two desserts.  I had the lamb and she had the filet, both were good. For dessert, that was my favorite with the chocolate fondue.   My wife’s favorite was the chocolate cake from Cagney’s.   Least favorite and a total disappointment was Ocean Blue.  I got the Filet and Lobster, both were very small and just not prepared well.   They will only allow you 1 appetizer, 1 main course and 1 dessert.  I have heard that the Iron Chef that is part of this restaurant is no longer, but very disappointing for the service (took 2 ½ hours) and the quality of the food.     For Specialty dining, we did pay full price for Wasabi (Shushi) for both lunch and dinner.   They now offer it as an upcharge on the specialty plan for only $7, but it is unlimited sushi and there appetizers.  I saw one guy there put down over $100 worth of sushi just at lunch (sea days only), but that is the best deal given the quality of the food coming out of that place.   Next time I cruise, I will purchase and extra 1 or 2 day specialty plan to use at the Wasabi given that it is unlimited.  Buffet is the buffet, went for breakfast, went to lunch, nothing to brag about other than the soft serve ice cream, the scoop flavored ice cream and the pretzel rolls.  My wife did enjoy the salad station, but nothing else was great.  Good yes, but not great.   Lastly, went to the Noodle bar for lunch one day, was good, but be prepared to get reservations the first couple of days.  It is sold out by about the 3rd day of the cruise as they will not take walk up reservations.  I went to O’Shennans once for lunch and was good.  I should have gone there or Noodle Bar more often, file away for next cruise.

Shows:  Syd Norman’s is the best show on the ship.   They have a live band that plays 80’s to 90’s music for about 1 ½ hours each night.  They have 3 different sets, but we didn’t mind hearing the same set again.  Since they have about 4 roving singers, each one has their style and unique quality of how they sing, but it very entertaining.   Burn The Floor was entertaining as the dancers are nice to look at, but it is basically the same dance steps to a different music set.  The comedy shows were good, but of the three comics, only Tom was only one that really made you laugh, you can tell who the pro is and who is trying to start out in comedy.   Howl at the Moon is good, but they do requests for $, so if you boat average age is older, they played older songs.   Now let me get to Rock of Ages.  I am surprised that they even let this get by the compliance officer for the company.  Yes, they tell you it is suggestive and may have language (which I am fine with), but they went over the line with how suggestive (simulated sex) it was.   The singers were not good and the show was just a major disappointment.   I saw at least ¼ of the seats empty by half way through the show.   Guess it has to be your cup of tea, but for Broadway entertainment, sorry, doesn’t come close to other shows that NCL or other lines have.  

MDR:  Food is alright, but don’t sit at the back of the boat near the windows in the Manhattan Room.  Due to the engine noise, not sure I could even have a conversation for how loud it was.   We only used this 4 times, each time the food was decent, but just boring for taste.  Can say the coconut shrimp on one of the nights was the best I had, but when that was an appetizer, none of the main meals had any appeal. 

Staff:  Our stateroom attendant was really great.  He always made sure that we had ice, towels, robes or any other small requests that we might want.  He knew that my wife liked just a small bit of chocolate at night, so after the second night, she got a piece of chocolate.  Nice touch.   The bartenders were amazing.  For the amount of drinks that they have to serve with the new UDP, it is why they are probably the hardest worked on the boat, but I saw nobody unhappy with finding an open bar or not having to wait in line.   The largest line was always at the bar next to O’Sheehan’s, so if you want to get a quick drink, go to the others where there wasn’t usually a line.  

Ports:  Grand Cayman far away the best port.  Even though it was a tender, all you have to do is ask prior to the cruise for an early tender number and go.   I asked for #2 and got it 2 days before we got to Grand Caymen and was in line, off the boat and in the port in 20 minutes.   I really don’t think they check what tender # you are, but it doesn’t hurt to at least get a reservation #.   We went to 7 mile beach which has multiple places to go for cheap (to get in), but expensive for food and drinks.  Food at where we went was very good, but suggest eating at the bar.   The shops around the ports there in Grand Cayman are clean and well stocked with “not your normal touristy stuff”.   You can find multiple places to get what you want and the quality seemed better than most.   Second was Harvest Caye for just the relaxation on the beach.  Chairs at the pool (which are taken first) and the beach are plentiful and at no extra costs.  They have staff walking around getting you food and drink from the Landshark bar which was pretty good.   If you get there say 2 hours after they docked, good luck finding a chair with an umbrella, those go pretty quickly.   You get to watch the zip line people go by every other minute, so it was fun to see that they were having fun.   The cost is not bad doing that as it was $59 to do the main zip line or $89 to do three zip lines and have the be able to do the unlimited ropes course.   Roatan and Jamaica are just not my favorites.  Roatan have very limited shopping inside the gates with Jamaica has no shopping inside the gates.   Best place to get free wifi was right outside the gate there at a bar in Jamaica.  Both Cozumel and Costa Maya had a Starbucks (they gave you a code if you bought coffee, but the reception was terrible).  Cozumel and Costa Maya have such better shopping outlets, but you see the SAME STUFF at both.  We ventured out to a beach in Costa Maya (paid $35 for unlimited drinks, food, chair, and umbrella on the water).  

Stuff on Ship:  Did the ropes course, since most of the ship was older folks, never a line and could go unlimited trips here and there.   The plank were you could get a picture is always fun, but unfortunately the picture machine (rope pull) is broken.   I did the slides a couple of days and again, no lines.   I am sure both are the exact opposite during spring breaks or during the summer.   My wife ran every morning on the track (8 laps equals a mile), she enjoyed it when it was early in the morning (before 8 am), but got crowded with onlookers and walkers after 8.   Getting your pictures taken is unlimited availability on the ship.  I would recommend you take one at each station the second day, that way you can find out who is actually a good photographer.  Some are good, some just are not.  We found one that actually gave good direction and we ended up purchasing a package and book from the ones that we did at his station. 

Debarkation:  Get your tag early, we got brown (9:00 am) and was off the boat by 9:30 including getting luggage and in a cab.

Suggestions:  If you are a wine drinker and like more expensive wine (we like Caymus), bring it on board with you.  We brought 5 bottles with us, so the corkage fee was just a small price to pay ($15 per bottle).  They sell it for $160 in Cagney’s, but since we buy it in bulk, we pay less than 20% of that cost.  Get up and watch the sunrise, if your balcony is facing the east, worth just sitting out and having a cup of coffee (which your room has a coffee maker) and watching it come up.   Get reservations to the comedy shows right when you get on board, they sell out by the second day.  There is a non-reservation line, but you will be at the back of the show.   Buy the cruise next package, no strings attached if you know you are going on 1-8 cruises in the next 4 years.  Free money.  Do a 10 day cruise, 7 days is too short when you really get down to enjoying the time away from work.

I am working on an in-depth review, but I do want to comment on a couple of things.  We loved Dueling Pianos and the shows at Syd Normans.  We sat at the back almost every night in the Manhattan room and it was a little noisy, but the view aft was amazing.  We had the same station because we asked for Savio as a server, he did a tremendous job for us.  I also agree that getting on and off was easy.  The only real issue is the area where they are dropping off luggage jams up pretty good.  Getting there early is much better than later.

Yep, you can reserve through touch screen signage boards at each level next to the elevators, TV in your room or your phone if you get the iConcerige app.   They have only 3 seating times per day that they are open and with limited seats, the reservations go fast.  By the 3rd day, they were all gone through reservations and didn't allow walkups.

Forgot to add:  Went to the Cirque show on the last night of the cruise.  Food comes out and you have to eat in the first 45 minutes.  The show starts 45 minutes after you get in the show.   So be prepared to somewhat eat fast.   Was a decent meal, but if you like your filet Medium to Medium Rare, make sure to tell your server.  I got medium rare, but my wife got well done.   He did get her another one (Medium Rare), but it was about 5 minutes later.   The show as great.   There are a couple of acts that are very, very good and one with a guy who is a contortionist will make you go "oh my".   Each act is about 5 minutes in length, but with about 8 of them, goes very fast.   We had a 5:15 reservation and were told to get there 30 minutes beforehand.   I heard rumors of good seats and bad seats, so I actually got there 60 minutes beforehand.   I was the second person in line, but I would say that a good suggestion would be to get there 45 minutes beforehand.   Seating is first come, first serve.  The tables in the front center are the best with the second choice being front sides.  There is a second level of tables behind the first that is good as well, but you will be looking through other people to see the acts.  The booths in the back I think are not good because the ceiling is so low and a lot of the acts do things "above the main area".  If you have the drink package, order drinks early as the waiters do not come around during the acts.

• Like 1