Does the Soda Package Include Shirley Temples?

donutcop

We have boardwalk balconies for our upcoming cruise and I’m debating whether or not to get the kids the refreshment package. We sailed on NCL a couple years ago and they had the soda package there which included Shirley Temples (well, it was sprite with grenadine).  Does anyone know if Royal’s soda package includes Shirley Temples? 

Haven't yet taken my first cruise, but since i booked ive been reading a lot and watching videos, and it seems that the soda package includes access to the coke freestyle machines, so there would be hundreds of flavours available, even if its not exactly a shirley temple(a cherry sprite from one of the machines is close to what a shirley temple made with sprite and cheap grenadine would taste like though). 

I would also assume that the bartenders would not have an issue with making one if you went up to the bar and asked(although that is just my assumption)

6 minutes ago, donutcop said:

We have boardwalk balconies for our upcoming cruise and I’m debating whether or not to get the kids the refreshment package. We sailed on NCL a couple years ago and they had the soda package there which included Shirley Temples (well, it was sprite with grenadine).  Does anyone know if Royal’s soda package includes Shirley Temples? 

Shirley Temples are not soda.  I expect you would need the Refreshment package for non-alcoholic cocktails.

When I was under 21 and cruising, I would often have the soda package and ask for a Shirley Temple or phrase it "sprite with cherry" and I would not have any issues getting it. Now, this was 7+ years ago, so maybe it changed. 

Every cruise we tell my daughter that Shirley Temples are not listed as part of the soda package, so if the waiter says no, don't argue just order something else.  Well, she has never been turned down.  Mostly she orders them in the dining room or at a show, but has also had luck at walk up bar locations.  Things can change, but this is our experience over the last eight years.

Edited by brianm27

My daughter used to get them.  On Jewel in 2014, our assistant waiter made her one every night and noticed she liked the cherries and put several in her drinks.  I turned out towards the end of the cruise the cherries disappeared.  The assistant waiter was told that cherries were for mixed drinks and to not put them in a kids drink.  We gave that assistant waiter an extra tip.  Typical cheap bar manager stuff.

• Like 1

Along the same vein, seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime? That's my go-to in the evening when I've had enough wine with dinner. I've never had just the soda package  so I don't know if that would be covered. I'm not a fan of the freestyle machine and having to carry the cup around, just want to order from the bar. 

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

Along the same vein, seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime? That's my go-to in the evening when I've had enough wine with dinner. I've never had just the soda package  so I don't know if that would be covered. I'm not a fan of the freestyle machine and having to carry the cup around, just want to order from the bar. 

You don’t have to carry your cup around. If you have a package any bar will serve soda upon presentation of your Seapass card.  It’s just you have more choices with the freestyle machines and using the cup than you do at the bar.

2 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

This would probably depend on if you have the Deluxe Beverage Package or Refreshment Beverage Package versus just the Classic Soda Package.

The Deluxe and Refreshment both cover "mocktails" while the Soda package does not. 

The grenadine is already sitting out and available and can be added to the Shirley Temple while the soda is coming out of the fountain gun -- no real extra time and minimal cost.  Cranberry juice and lime are more labor intensive and more costly, more like an actual mocktail.

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

This would probably depend on if you have the Deluxe Beverage Package or Refreshment Beverage Package versus just the Classic Soda Package.

The Deluxe and Refreshment both cover "mocktails" while the Soda package does not. 

The grenadine is already sitting out and available and can be added to the Shirley Temple while the soda is coming out of the fountain gun -- no real extra time and minimal cost.  Cranberry juice and lime are more labor intensive and more costly, more like an actual mocktail.

I'm not sure if this is true at every bar on board, but I noticed there was a gun for cranberry juice at the Schooner bar on Anthem. It's really easy for them to make and I think the costs would be comparable (esp without the lime).  If a Shirley Temple isn't considered a mocktail, I would think this shouldn't either. I've only ever had the refreshment or deluxe package though so I don't know how this could be charged. I have an upcoming TA sailing and would get the soda package if this were included. Will pay by the drink if it's not. 

On 1/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, ibonexheadi said:

Haven't yet taken my first cruise, but since i booked ive been reading a lot and watching videos, and it seems that the soda package includes access to the coke freestyle machines, so there would be hundreds of flavours available, even if its not exactly a shirley temple(a cherry sprite from one of the machines is close to what a shirley temple made with sprite and cheap grenadine would taste like though). 

Just to confirm that any ship with the Freestyle Machines (including the one you'll be on since it must be an Oasis-class ship if it has Boardwalk balconies) will allow you to do a 'sprite + cherry flavour' option (ie. grenadine) which is basically a Shirley Temple. I have done this a few times myself, as even adults can enjoy Shirley Temples!