First time to Europe (Anniversary Trip)

kentrav

On 2/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, kentrav said:

Hello all ,

My wife and I are thinking about going to Europe via Celebrity cruises on our 10 anniversary  2021, since we haven't been there I was wondering when would be the best time to sail weather wise and some of the itineraries we should be looking at to get a good overall experience of Europe I know its a big ask but a little guidance would be helpful thanks.

So....read and do what will work out best for you...it is your vacation, and it is your anniversary...do not allow any of us to scare you, as you need to plan it to fit your own agenda!   However, since it is your first, as I said earlier, you will have so much fun!  Congratulations on celebrating your 10th anniversary!  My DH and I have always chosen one port to do just by ourselves, as we can control what we see and do in a car by ourselves...yes, it is pricy, but sooo memorable...just a thought, if the budget allows!!!😎

Edited by Lastdance

A few more comments from a deodorant-using European:

Yes, if you’re flying over, make it worthwhile with a 12-14 day cruise.

We’ve cruised the Med 4 times in October and had good warm weather each time.

Avoid the Med in July and August - crowded and very hot.

IMHO the eastern Med is more different from Western Europe / North America culture than the Western Med, unsurprisingly!

My ideal Med cruise would include Venice, the Adriatic, Athens, Greek Islands, and end in Rome.

Do book a couple of nights at least either end of the cruise - Venice and Rome would be great.

For the cities, small semi-private tours with others on your roll-call, for 6-10 people, are often the best for value and experience.

We generally alternate long day tours with shorter or DIY tours to avoid vacation fatigue.

Stuart.

Edited by Wiltonian

On 2/3/2019 at 10:46 PM, maryshonkwiler said:

Please be aware that most of Europe is not air conditioned & a lot of Europeand do not wear deodorant!  With that said coming in at least a day earlier is very benificial.  We found the Amalie coat is a good place to start. Rome itself is a Full day of site seeing. Good luck!  I usee cruise critic for the ship ! Tripadvisor for hotels & tours.

What a load of nonsense.

Yosemite and all of the US National Parks aren't air conditioned.  Neither are the streets of any city.  As for a lot of Europeans not wearing deodorant, presumably meaning we stink? - what a dreadful ignorant remark.

Next you will be claiming that foreign men are about to run off with your daughters like the movie Taken.... Oh hang on too late, you already have.

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:46 PM, maryshonkwiler said:

Please be aware that most of Europe is not air conditioned & a lot of Europeand do not wear deodorant!  With that said coming in at least a day earlier is very benificial.  We found the Amalie coat is a good place to start. Rome itself is a Full day of site seeing. Good luck!  I usee cruise critic for the ship ! Tripadvisor for hotels & tours.

Don't worry, we are quite civilised over her in the UK and from what we've seen our Italian and Greek 'brothers and sisters' are the same. Italy and Greece are the homes of two of the most amazing civilisations that ever graced this earth and were more advanced in their time than any around today. The people are incredible, the history unbeatable and the sites just stunning.

P.S. Rome is a full week or more of site seeing ….

PS Just realised that no one has mentioned visiting the UK ! We have some great history here too and London and its sites are worth a visit before your cruise if it goes from Southampton.

Never thought of our own little country

You won't need to worry about being too hot here either !!!

Yes please do not ignore the UK....Cruises can be based around a few days exploring the uK..... personally I love the 2 sea days after leaving Southampton and the cruises on Celebrity from UK have a few sea days interspersed which are very welcome after having toured the likes of Rome and Florence. I have also done a British Isles cruise which included overnight stays in Le Havre and Amsterdam.... + visit to Eire... Dublin and Cork. A lovely cruise. With the Eclipse now based in Dublin you could use Dublin as a base before sailing to the western Med. 

Again ...avoiding the 2 peak summer months is good advice..... 

Hi K,

You should decide if you wish to go on a cruise or wish to visit Europe.

They are not the same thing.

If you have only 7 days, I suggest that you choose one country (or even one city) and spend your time there, with 1 or 2 day trips to other places.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

We are booked for a 12 day in June 2020.  Cant wait!!  We will definitely be spending 3 days in Barcelona before the cruise, then at the end we will travel from Venice to Rome and spend 3+ days there.  Our itinerary is Barcelona-Mallorca-sea-Sicily-Valetta-Sea-Mykonos-Athens-Santorini-sea-Split-Rjeka-Venice.  For me...its an almost perfect itinerary and we are so excited!!

As others have said, its a brief glance into the ports...but you can make the most of each day (and hour).