What to do after 4:00 PM

mkdreams

We just booked a cruise on Carnival Breeze to Bermuda that ports overnight from 4:00 PM to 4:00 PM the next day. On the second day we will get up early and visit Horseshoe bay beach. The first day is where we see the problem, we do not arrive until 4:00 PM. What family evening activities/excursions are there after 4:00 PM for a family of three, my wife, myself and our 14 year old teen? This will be our first time in Bermuda so we do not know the island at all.

Edited by mkdreams

We just booked a cruise on Carnival Breeze to Bermuda that ports overnight from 4:00 PM to 4:00 PM the next day. On the second day we will get up early and visit Horseshoe bay beach. The first day is where we see the problem, we do not arrive until 4:00 PM. What family evening activities/excursions are there after 4:00 PM for a family of three, my wife, myself and our 14 year old teen? This will be our first time in Bermuda so we do not know the island at all.

Arriving that late does not leave much time for shore activities. For family evening activities at the Dockyard there is Fun Golf and a trampoline place. There are sunset cruises offered at the Island Tour Centre and probably by the cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 1:48 PM, Charles4515 said:

Arriving that late does not leave much time for shore activities. For family evening activities at the Dockyard there is Fun Golf and a trampoline place. There are sunset cruises offered at the Island Tour Centre and probably by the cruise line.

Hi Charles, actually those suggestions help a lot. Something to do is better then nothing. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated

We have the same issue sort of.  We arrive at 1 pm and leave the next day at 2:30.  We will probably take advantage of the dockyard after we go to the zoo the first day and then again the second day till we leave.

We have the same issue sort of.  We arrive at 1 pm and leave the next day at 2:30.  We will probably take advantage of the dockyard after we go to the zoo the first day and then again the second day till we leave.

That is a really poor schedule for Bermuda, that is why I don’t book Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda even though I live a short distance from the port, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

That is a really poor schedule for Bermuda, that is why I don’t book Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda even though I live a short distance from the port, but it is what it is.

Yes I wasn't thrilled with the short visit but the other ship was way more to go to Bermuda.  This is a surprise short cruise for just me and my two youngest daughters.  I went super cheap.  We have a lot of cruises booked for this year and I didn't want to put out a ton of money. 

Bermuda is a small island and it is easy to get around using public transportation if you don't want to do a ship's tour. Since you are there only one day, I would probably use the first evening to walk around the Dockyard. Here is a decent overview: https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000027.htm

An evening sightseeing cruise (if available) would be nice but maybe boring for your teen. He might just enjoy walking around Dockyard, watching the glass blowing, shopping, going to the fort, etc.

You could eat at Frog and Onion or take a taxi somewhere else on the island but it is fairly expensive (to eat and drink) and I only do that if it's convenient to where I am at the time. It's nice to take a ferry ride to Hamilton but there is really not much to do there in the evening (besides eat or drink) as the shops all seem to close up around 5pm.

If you are going to Horseshoe Bay Beach on your own, stop by the visitor center and buy your bus passes early, if possible. The lines for bus and ferry tickets are always long in the morning.

The nicest thing to do in Bermuda, imo, is going to the beautiful beaches, and you are already doing that, so anything else is extra.

Edited by marci22
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, marci22 said:

Bermuda is a small island and it is easy to get around using public transportation if you don't want to do a ship's tour. Since you are there only one day, I would probably use the first evening to walk around the Dockyard. Here is a decent overview: https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000027.htm

An evening sightseeing cruise (if available) would be nice but maybe boring for your teen. He might just enjoy walking around Dockyard, watching the glass blowing, shopping, going to the fort, etc. 

You could eat at Frog and Onion or take a taxi somewhere else on the island but it is fairly expensive (to eat and drink) and I only do that if it's convenient to where I am at the time. It's nice to take a ferry ride to Hamilton but there is really not much to do there in the evening (besides eat or drink) as the shops all seem to close up around 5pm.

If you are going to Horseshoe Bay Beach on your own, stop by the visitor center and buy your bus passes early, if possible. The lines for bus and ferry tickets are always long in the morning. 

The nicest thing to do in Bermuda, imo, is going to the beautiful beaches, and you are already doing that, so anything else is extra.

Thanks Marci, great tips and the link helps lot, great info on there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 7:55 PM, HOSKI said:

We're in the same "boat" LOL.  We're on the April 25 sailing and struggling with what we're going to do with the hours in port.  We've been to Bermuda multiple times, with a 5 day land vacation in there as well.  What we WANT to do is difficult based on the Sat-Sun port days and time of the year.  For Saturday, I like the idea of the sunset cruise excursion offered by the ship, but I think it'll be too cold on April 27th.  I wish I had thought more about the itinerary when we booked this cruise.  For me it was about the timing, the price, and we needed to get away.  

I've been working on my port plans all day today.  At least in Charleston we've got a good solid day.  Okay...back to reading posts.

• 3 weeks later...

I also recommend a sunset cruise.  The one we did took you over a wreck and it had a glass bottom so you could see stuff (this was around dusk).  It was narrated so they told some stories.  Depending on how far off you are from a full moon, you might see glow worms in the water, which we did and the boat stopped and we watched for a bit.  

If you are there on a Wed night, there is Harbor Nights in Hamilton.  We did that one night too but we would have enjoyed being on the ship just as much (but it was something to do).  Shops are open a little later (as they usually close around 5).  The main street is shut down to vehicle traffic and food stands and craft vendors line the streets.