Is the Bay of Biscay always rough?

sidekick180

10 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you everyone for your very valuable input. Obviously it will be what it will be. Hopefully calm both ways, but if not, there is always the bar. I will just have to make sure the other half gets so drunk that she thinks it's just the effects of the alcohol and not the ships movement.

I like this approach and she will be able to laugh through it, if it occurs

4 hours ago, Ian T said:

I like this approach and she will be able to laugh through it, if it occurs

I'm afraid I have never been able to laugh through seasickness! 🤢

Edited by Slugsta
typo

On 2/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, terrierjohn said:

Oriana and Aurora, in fact all the P&O fleet are flat bottomed with fairly shallow draft, they only look more liner like because of their tiered aft decks. So in fact all would be equally affected by rough seas, however as Selbourne says the bigger ones with more and higher decks are more susceptible to side winds which can make them heel over quite alarmingly, so it is usually high winds that lead to the most uncomfortable experiences.

I was of the opinion that Arcadia does not have a flat bottom, and hence is particularly suited to round the world cruises, but am happy to be corrected.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I was of the opinion that Arcadia does not have a flat bottom, and hence is particularly suited to round the world cruises, but am happy to be corrected.

Pretty much every large passengers ship built in the last 100+ years has a flat bottom, including "classic" ocean liners such as the RMS Queen Elizabeth, RMS Queen Mary, RMS QE2, RMS Queen Mary 2, and SS France. And also the Arcadia.

Arcadia (and ships of the same class such as Zuiderdam M/V, Queen Victoria, etc) have a large metacentric height, which means she doesn't initially roll much, being very stable, and so can feel a bit "stiff" in heavy seas. I've crossed the Atlantic quite a few times and Arcadia is a nice ship to be on in high seas/strong winds.

Edited by Vampire Parrot

5 minutes ago, Vampire Parrot said:

Pretty much every large passengers ship built in the last 100+ years has a flat bottom, including "classic" ocean liners such as the RMS Queen Elizabeth, RMS Queen Mary, RMS QE2, RMS Queen Mary 2, and SS France. And also the Arcadia.

Arcadia (and ships of the same class such as Zuiderdam M/V, Queen Victoria, etc) have a large metacentric height, which means she doesn't initially roll much, being very stable, and so can feel a bit "stiff" in heavy seas. I've crossed the Atlantic quite a few times and Arcadia is a nice ship to be on in high seas/strong winds.

That's good to hear as we are doing a round trip TA to Canada on her in September! 🙂

4 hours ago, Vampire Parrot said:

Thank you for your reply. As I said, I am pleased to be corrected.  Have to say, that Arcadia seemed pretty stable  in a force 10 through the BoB  the last time we sailed on her.