See Excursions / Book Excursions

Little Monty

I know there is a discussion around this topic in the 'Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers' thread .. but this is not so much a tip as an FYI.

We are 134 days out from our Empires of the Med cruise in May. The shore excursions (Included and Optional) dropped into My Viking Journey today. When I tried to log into MVJ this morning I got a 'your account is being updated - try again later' message.

The actual reason I went into MVJ this morning was to check if our Iceland excursions are able to be viewed. We are 112 days out from the Iceland cruise, but still nothing in 'excursions'.

In any case, I went back 30 minutes later and the Empires excursions were available to view.

I assume … Empires of the Med has been running for a couple of years (multiple times each year) and no doubt they have the excursions down pat, so why not release the details.

Conversely … I assume … the Iceland cruise is the first for this specific itinerary (4 ports in Iceland) so they are likely still finalising the excursions. No dramas, we can't book Iceland excursions till early March and Empires excursions in late March.

I assume every pax on the Empires of the Med cruise will be able to view the excursions today - but they can't book anything till it is their turn (in terms of stateroom category).

And also … I have always assumed excursions become viewable between 100 and 120 days prior to cruise departure - but as I learned today - even this can vary.

And finally .. except for Venice all ports of call on the Empires cruise are new to us. We have selected a mix of optional and included tours and are quite happy with what has been offered (assuming the tour turns out to be exactly or close to what is described in MVJ). 

CC members please remind me .. is there any point using the Wish List option ?

I seem to recall they now allow you to use that Wish List to book when the time comes (as opposed to our first experience in 2017 when that Wish List was next to useless as it didn't allow you to book anything directly from the list - I don't think we used the Wish List in 2018 which is why I am a little confused).

Thank you

Edited by Little Monty
error

3 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Monty - looking forward to your reports from Iceland, as this is an area on our wish list.

Thanks Heidi13 .. yep, I look forward to reporting.

While I have you .. may I ask, any idea from your experience what we might expect on the crossing/s Norway - Faroe Islands and Faroe Islands - Iceland in May / June (compared say to that nasty Tasman Sea last month 😪).

1 minute ago, Little Monty said:

Thanks Heidi13 .. yep, I look forward to reporting.

While I have you .. may I ask, any idea from your experience what we might expect on the crossing/s Norway - Faroe Islands and Faroe Islands - Iceland in May / June (compared say to that nasty Tasman Sea last month 😪).

Monty - similar to the Tasman, the North Atlantic can be somewhat unpredictable, but in May/June it should be reasonable.

All of my Atlantic transits, bar 1 were Westbound, so we went South to avoid the Gulf Stream. Only Eastbound, when we followed the Gulf Stream, was December and it was rather snotty.

In 2015, our WC sailed from Glasgow to Iceland and we experienced about 25 kt winds most of the way. I have no issues with weather, but DW applied her patch and was very comfortable. Only a gentle rocking, so nothing like you experienced last month.

Hoping you experience smooth seas and following winds. Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Monty - similar to the Tasman, the North Atlantic can be somewhat unpredictable, but in May/June it should be reasonable.

All of my Atlantic transits, bar 1 were Westbound, so we went South to avoid the Gulf Stream. Only Eastbound, when we followed the Gulf Stream, was December and it was rather snotty.

In 2015, our WC sailed from Glasgow to Iceland and we experienced about 25 kt winds most of the way. I have no issues with weather, but DW applied her patch and was very comfortable. Only a gentle rocking, so nothing like you experienced last month.

Hoping you experience smooth seas and following winds. Enjoy.

Thank you - most appreciated