Freedom of the Seas 10:18 am flight home -doable?

cruiseequalsfun

I cruise on Freedom of the Seas in May 2019 and had booked an 11 am flight home (with a connection) back to NC.  I just got an American Airlines flight update today that the flight now leaves San Juan at 10:18am.  We have Gold status (if that matters) with American.  I know it is a quick taxi ride to the airport as we did San Juan cruises the past 2 years but those return flights were at like Noon and 1pm.  Would you stick with the 10:18 am flight and just roll bags off and try to get off as early as possible?  We would check 1 bag each at the airport.  Or would you call and change the return flight?  My concern is that the only other viable flight leaves a lot later and gets us home many, many hours later.  Opinions?

Edited by cruiseequalsfun

Easily.  Just make sure you do the self-disembarkation and walk off the ship at the earliest opportunity.  I usually shoot for a flight at 1030am.  Usually we are at the airport no later than 8am when doing this.  Minimal traffic that early and plenty of taxis.     Make sure you send your bags through the ag inspection machine as soon as you enter the airport.  

I am always mentally prepared to spend an extra day if there would be some rare problem with the ship returning on time or not clearing customs for some reason. 

Thanks Clubber! All good points! Last years return was a disaster and it was a later flight (1pm I think) -  (delayed flight, missed connection, no other flights with seats for 2 days, rented a car and drove rest the of the way home). So I was excited to see an 11am flight.  Now 10:18 worries me but I think we will go for it.  I've noted down your points to read again the night before debarking.  Appreciate it.