Last Minute or Book Ahead Panama Canal. Help!

sellerjazz

Help save my marriage! My husband is convinced you can save a ton by booking 2-4 weeks before a cruise. I'm not, esp. since we want an outside room, 14-17 day cruise thru Panama Canal from Seattle or Vancouver only. ANY advice would be appreciated. Thank you! :o

You CAN save a ton by waiting until the last couple of weeks before the cruise IF the ship isn't sold out AND there are lots of empty cabins.

For something like a regular Carribean or Mexican Riviera cruise, that's not unlikely (except during peak weeks). For a specialty cruise like the Canal, much less likely.

In fact, in my research, I've often seen prices rise from 18 months prior to the cruise up to right before sailing for popular routes.

You might want to ask a travel agent who specializes in cruises, though, how this is likely to play out for you.

There aren't many 14-17 day Panama cruises, BTW. There are lots more 10 day, Round Trip cruises from Fort Lauderdale, though.

Repo cruises are very popular. There are few, if any, panama canal repos that start or end in Vancouver or Seattle. Most start in California. You might get lucky and find a good deal on a full transit panama canal cruise at the last minute, but it is very unlikely. It is even more unlikely if you want a specific cruise line or type of cabin.

We booked our last cruise,a year ahead, and after final payment the price for our category went down. There were times when the lowest categories went higher than some of the other categories and times when they went down. The deal we got was when they had specials for seniors (55+). We could have saved on our cabin, and were able to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for only $200 total.

This was with RCI. Our friends, who were on the same cruise, booked with a different TA and their TA would not get the lower cost for them.

Just something to think about.

Hope it all works out for you.

Prices for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise have gone UP considerably since we booked. We booked the first day this cruise was released. If you're particular about your location, or if you want a balcony, book as far ahead as you can. There are only a limited number of these repo cruises (heading east in the fall and west in the spring) so for special destinations like this, the early bird usually gets the worm.

Happy sails,

..........................and if you have to fly? Airfare can be horrendous last minute. I am with everyone else. We booked our Hawaii trip 17 months in advance, the prices have gone up about $1000 p/p since and it has been sold out of all but a few categories for months.

We are doing a repo this coming May from FLL through the canal and up to San Francisco and we signed up on this cruise a 1 1/2 years ago because they are so popular. By the way it is on the Coral Princess. Also besides the airlines who charge big time when it is close to the date of sailing you also have to consider a hotel pre-cruise as you do not want to fly in on the same day as the cruise. In your case you live in Vancouver/Seattle so no hotel but you will have to fly back whereever the ship lands .

Marilyn

Archived