Country Boy seeking alternatives to driving/parking/$$$ at NYC Pier - on NCL Dawn

Leggo

Hello!

Just booked the family cruise for the NCL Dawn to Bermuda / Bahamas on 5/13/2006. 40th birthday present for my wife. :-)

Anyways -- being more used to moose on the road (New Hampshire, ayuh) than NYC traffic, I am looking for alternatives to driving/parking/high cost at the NYC pier.

I searched most every post but I am looking for some more advice. I came up with the following options.

1. Just drive two cars (6 adults and 2 children) into the heart of Manhattan, battle traffic, getting lost in Harlem, or driving in circles for two days. Then it is going to cost $336 for two cars for the week- yikes!

2. Park cars at Uncles in Danbury CT, and get a shuttle service. Anyone recommend a shuttle service? think it will cost more than the $336? Sounds much less stressful.

3. Rent a Van from NH and do a 1 day drop off, and then on return trip do the same. Is this convienient, is there a place to drop off rentals. Need taxi to pier?

4. NCL Bus - used to run from Hartford CT, but I heard that it was stopped. Cany anyone confirm, are there other departure locations. ?

5. Amtrak, Greyhound --- how convient are these?

6. Fight the traffic in our own cars, find a cheaper place to park and then take a taxi to the pier. This sounds like it wouldn't save to much $$. Sounds even more stressful.

Anyways - and insight would be MOST helpful.

Thanks

We used AMtrak from Phila to NY. Like you didnt want the hassle of parking (its 26 a day I heard) plus the traffic.

Cab fare is less then 10 bucks from the train station. (with that many people and that much luggage you will need 2 cabs.

Taking the amtrak was painless getting there and getting back home.

Buying reserved seats-- so if you get there early enough you can grab any train.

Archived