Discovery Far East Currency

I’m sorry if this has already been asked but could somebody just back help me with what currency to take. We don’t want to get lumbered with currency we won’t use again as we still hold some expired Norewigian Kroner and some Chilean Pesos!!! Is any of the currency “closed” so we won’t be able to get it here? We’re going to Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia & Thailand.

Does the ship hold any currency to exchange? (P & O only carry US Dollars)

Its our first Marella cruise and first to this area so a totally new experience for us.

Also, what plugs are on the ship for cameras etc? 

Thanks for any help you can give

Although things may have changed, our experience has been that for Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore local currency would be needed.

Cambodia you can usually pay in US$ for typical tourist souvenirs. Small denominations only, (ideally ones and fives) clean, undamaged notes.

Even if they have them onboard, we have usually found that ship exchange rates are poor.

Try to calculate how much you might need in each country, especially if you are paying local tour operators, planning big purchases etc. For public transport, local taxis, snacks, drinks, entrance fees you might not need much.

If your first visit to this part of the world, you might love it and book another, in which case any leftovers would give you a start!

I agree with edinburger, I have recently returned from this cruise and took a small amount of local currency for each country, apart from Cambodia where we took some US dollars. 

This seemed to work well as and when the currency ran out I withdrew more from a cash machine (using a card with good exchange rates and no fees for withdrawals abroad). 

There were 2 US 110v 2 pin plugs and 2 European 220v 2 pin plugs in our cabin (standard outside cabin).

Thank you both so much for your replies. We will be on ships trips so will only need money for the odd souvenir and a beer (or three!)

Edinburgher, I sincerely hope this is the first of many visits to this part of the world as there’s so much to see.

Balibeach0, looks like I’ll need to dig out the bag of assorted plugs! 

Happy cruising😀😀

Cambodia is a closed currency they take US dollars. If you are mainly on ships trips you wont need much. We go next week on this cruise and i have got currency from Tompsons shop and paid £3.95 to guarantee buy back at the rate we paid. It is not the best rate though. We need a bit more as we are doing most things on our own including staying overnight in a hotel in Pattaya.

We have been out this way a lot in the past and I am sure that you will enjoy it

We plan to visit our local Tui shop next week so will see what the rate is then with them. Well only need small amounts so the rate isn’t so critical. The buy back sounds a good idea although if it’s as good as everyone says we may decide to keep leftovers for next time! 

Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...