Live from the Orion - Sydney to Auckland - 2/10/19

CelticMutt

11 hours ago, ColW55 said:

Hi Bill, The Tasmanian Sojourn is advertised in the current online advertising for the Australia & New Zealand cruise - looks great. Shame it wasn't available for your cruise.

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 10.59.29 pm.png

Agreed! We would have undoubtedly opted for this one!

Well, we opted to cancel out on the chef‘s table dinner last night. The ladies didn’t seem to be particularly fond of the menu, but more to the fact the restaurant was serving lobster!  We had a really great dinner and have spent a couple of relaxing hours in the explores lounge before calling it a day. Our second sea day is much like yesterday. Overcast and about 64° so the pool roof is up again but with little sunlight to warm up the lounging area. 

Lost another power last night sailing east so our circadian rhythm’s are a little bit screwed up on the ship right now. Once again slept too late to make the main breakfast, but Mamsens furnished nicely.

But seated by the window and watching the ocean roll by while reading - rereading actually - an old Stephen King novel (The Tommyknockers!) is wonderful!

Italian lunch buffet is calling, so gotta run! Signing off this time in Indonesian in honor of Abdul, our room stewart, who is excellent! 

Mari bersulang!,

Bill

OK; some good news and some bad news. (

Bad first it always sounds better that way! :-))

Bar service at the pool today was – let’s be kind - ... iffy.  It’s a Sea day and the wait staff should have been very very visible. We were at a window seat in the main pool area and were only asked about drinks one time in the full six hours we were there.  I know I can get off my fat keister and walk over to the bar and get my own drink, but that’s not really the point.

The good news is that the Italian buffet pasta station only had one chef working which could cause long line at times. (Wait, wait, wait, this is a positive!) The good news on it was that I went out and got the steak sandwich from the pool grill; it was delicious! 

The attached was my view for most of the day – I loved it!

We are scheduled for dinner at “my aunt Freddys” tonight (I kept the strange iPhone dictation on purpose!) Looking forward to it. 

L’chaim!,

Bill

C2DD7E77-D063-4BF9-83D8-7E91F0128E06.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Hmmmmm... service issues should not be happening. Enjoy your rib eye! Great view today.

No ribeye tonight-  chicken Parmesan which was excellent! Two of our parties ask the chef if he could make a veal Parmesan the same way and they accommodated us. We thought that was pretty cool!

I am attaching a photo of one of our favorite  waitresses (Kateryna) at the bar. We think she looks so much like Arya from Game of Thrones.

будьмо

Bill

FE1330C1-F03E-4692-A06C-EF1567B95236.jpeg

• Like 1

OK, I have to admit upfront that this review is being done under the influences of a couple of Mount Gay rums and Bailys combinations - don’t laugh, it’s an excellent drink! I just haven’t thought of a name for it yet. Suggestions?) 

We arrived in Dunedin this morning and myself being of first generation Scottish heritage it was a real delight! The city was settled by displaced Presbyterians from Edinburgh - Dunedin is Scottish Gaelic for Edinburgh!)  The Sail-in was absolutely beautiful -  the harbor is gorgeous!

This is a very serious suggestion.  (You, in the back row - pay attention!)  We took the Otega Wildlife Tour first thing this morning. It was excellent, informative and set up the rest of the day for us! We saw two different types of albatross ( The big 11 ft wingspan one in flight behind a beautiful white lighthouse.)!, the rarest pygmy blue penguin and a host of other wildlife including baby fur seals! 

One of our traveling companions is an avid bird watcher and he was absolutely ecstatic that we saw two different albatross on the same day!! One of the smaller ones on the water and one with an 11 foot wingspan sailing over a lighthouse. I wish I could transfer that picture from my camera to this post, but I’m having a problem. It was absolutely spectacular.

The ship does basically the same sail out at about 630 to 7 PM.  But it really helps  to know where to look to see the albatross nesting sites. The first excursion gives you that opportunity. Take it!.

We did the included coach tour of Dunedin in the afternoon. It was very, very good. 

This sail out was spectacular with wonderful weather and I have to admit that we took a pass on our “Space“ planetarium tickets because we would’ve missed a portion of the sail out. 

This was the first night that we didn’t eat in one of the specialty restaurants or the Restaurant and  just decided to just do the World Café in our sloppy clothing. Had way too much sushi! But it is so good! (Do I need to tell you that it goes very, very well with Mount Gay and Bailys!)  I think I am running the ship out of Mount Gay rum because a couple of the bars are now depleted! 

After dinner we just did a quick stop at the Explorers lounge and watched an almost full moon rise over the bow of the ship. This is wonderful stuff guys!  GO ON THIS CRUISE!!

Ended up relatively early (9 o’clock!! For us) because we have a full day excursion tomorrow to the Southern Alps. Really looking forward to that excursion even though it’s going to be rather taxing. 

My Posture Pedic beckons!

На здравје!

Bill

(For our Macedonian bar waiter!)

Lovely to hear your tales Bill as we were on the Auckland to Sydney cruise last month.  I can second your recommendation for the Otago Wildlife Cruise.  It was brilliant.  The captain was so enthusiastic about the wildlife and turned the boat around several times so that everyone got a good look.  Armed with my wildlife spotting leaflet we actually saw Albatross 2 days afterwards way out in the Tasman Sea during our nightmare stormy crossing to Australia (minus Hobart)!

9 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

You are getting me so excited to leave Friday! Who is the maitre d at my aunt Freddy's?

Boban!  I helped him identify the actors and actresses in the pictures at the check-in station. (Obviously he was not an Italian!)

In ChristChurch, New Zealand for the day. Just got back from our all day long excursion out to the Southern Alps and to see some of the actual scenery from Lord of the Rings. 
Same location, but they dismantled the castle!
Beautiful scenery, but a long time on a bus to get there!

If you’re a LotRs fan it is really worth the time on the bus and the scenery is breathtaking, but 8 hours is a long day.  Stop for lunch could have been a bit better; one slice of mystery meat on a small sandwich!  But our bus driver/tour guide Kris was excellent! Learned a lot about the production of the movie!

Saúde!,

Bill

C21FCFAD-3DDD-4321-B012-4AC981B3665B.jpeg

Had a great dinner at The Restaurant last night.  Their everyday menu includes a sirloin steak you just have to try!  Perfect cook and not a smidge of fat or gristle.

Went to the Beatles tribute show last night done by the four young singers that do the standard shows.  They were wonderful!

Had a nightcap at Torshavn listening to Daniel the resident guitarist.

Perfect day!

Doing the included Wellington city tour this afternoon.  Supposed to be one of the most “livable” cities in the world!

Gotta do a tip of the hat to one of the most personable barkeeps we’ve come across in a long time; Jovica from Macedonia! He’s kept us laughing! (And I think he might hurt me if I don’t say something nice!😀)

На здравје! (Macedonian naturally!)

Bill

8521E9C8-60F9-48A7-94E0-045B5715F4F7.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Celtic Mutt, great reporting.  I enjoyed your Pool Deck view many days.  Mount Gay and Bailey's??  Well obviously it is a Gay Irishman....😳🍸

While very clever,  I’m going to have a real tough time walking up to any bar and ordering a gay Irishman! 

Sláinte!

Bill

We just did the included city tour of Wellington this afternoon. We were lucky enough to get not only a good guide/bus driver, but actually a very entertaining one. (A bit unPC, but who the hell cares!)

The city is incredibly beautiful!  It was interesting to see the amount of effort the Kiwis have spent in restoring their cities to pre-earthquake status!  

Leaving port was one of the most spectacular sellouts I’ve ever seen!

Just did the World Cafe for dinner because aft was the place to see the sunset and the lands’s end of the southern island!

Early evening for us because we have an early excursion tomorrow.  (Ever see “Shaun the Sheep”?!)

Chok dee!

Bill

ps: I believe I’ve run a couple of the bars out of Mount Gay.  Not sure if I’m proud or appalled!

E053C177-52A4-43FE-9313-1D905D3CFF29.jpeg

78693E17-AFB1-4AFC-9356-93E7221860C2.jpeg

• Thanks 1