Dawn Trip Review 1/27-2/7

CozGurl

10 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

Enjoyed your commentary. Going on the Dawn in a few weeks which will be the first time, in a long time, cruising on a small ship, less than 4/m people. Hope we like the smaller ship.

For us smaller ships are the way to go. No you will not have the variety of activities but the crew and dining choices make up for activities and there are still plenty of things to do. I have to disagree with Coxgul a bit. Yes, some of the entertainment is the same entertainers but they are fantastic and provide a variety of music. We were so busy listening to Jose and Patti, the music in the Bliss and the music in Gatsby's we missed most of the shows. There was music from the 50s and 60s, music from the 80s and 90s, country and western, tributes to many of the favorite entertainers, etc. One of our favorite parts on our DAwn cruise a few weeeks ago was the nightly entertainment. 

Last Day - Tortola

Tortola was among the top reason we booked this cruise because of the snorkeling and it did not disappoint. We were with Aristocat tours for the day. They had a wonderful catamaran that was well set up for tours with lots of shade and sun areas. The crew was super nice and did a good job explaining things and taking care. There were 20 or so of us so that always makes a nice size excursion.

The first stop was the Caves and while it was cool enough, didn’t do that much for me. The second stop was a small cove with no other boats and had a lot more fish and was a wonderful spot to relax while waiting for lunch. They also had paddle boards we could have used if we’d have been so inclined. The third stop was the Indians. Our guide said we were quite lucky as a lot of times the water is just too rough to enjoy or even stop here. OMG, this one stop made the entire cruise worth it! This stop was as good as or better than Bonaire. Seriously like swimming in an aquarium.

Back to the ship around 3:30-4:00. Got ready and headed to Bimini bar again to meet with friends for our last night. Dinner at Cagney’s was good again. Man I love that crab cake! The folks at the table next to us were really unhappy with NCL service and experience overall. They were pleasant enough about it but said they’d go back to Carnival or Royal, can’t remember which they said now. I will say that I have to agree with the service to an extent. Seemed like wait staff in all restaurants were always understaffed. Cheers to those folks. Hope they like their next cruise better.

We hadn’t’ been through Tradewinds the entire cruise so thought we stroll through and see their “big sale.” As I suspected a joke. There was a $65 bracelet on the up to 50% off table. When I took it to the register she told me that it was already marked with the discount. Whatever. Bad business to put up signage saying one thing and then say another.

Back to Gatsby’s as usual to hear some music on our last night. It was pretty good and we were enjoying but he packed up at 9:30 and that was it. No more music for the last night. Stopped by the atrium but we just don’t enjoy Jose and Patti. I like their music but don’t like their voices. Back to the room as had become our normal.

For all of the “negative” things I’ve mentioned, it was still a great vacation. We enjoyed our first NCL cruise enough to book again (wish we would have done the on board next cruise certificates!) within a couple of weeks of being home.

Random Thoughts

Didn’t realize we’d have to pay tax on our booze the first day while still docked in Puerto Rico. Wonder how many other ports are like that?

Seems that how many times a day you get cabin service is a big deal on Carnival and Royal. The first few days we had service morning and night. We finally told her just the morning please. Once we’re gone for the day we don’t need anything else.

The location of the only full length mirror was awkward next to the bed. Really couldn’t see full length.

Also didn’t like not having a table/nightstand on one side of the bed.

I never asked but it would have been nice to have the coffee pot gone and had that area to use, although we felt the room had pretty good storage.

Loved the magnifying mirror in the bathroom.

We love our magnetic hooks for the walls. It is nice to hang wet clothes or the next day’s clothes on them. We will also take a couple of magnetic ship clips for papers the next time.

I’m going to try really hard to remember that most of our time is spent in swimwear and pack accordingly. I bought some caftans on amazon that were so comfy over my swimsuits. Hub lived in trunks and polo.

Love our compression packing cubes.

Portable steamer passed through security in our checked bag – we never used it.

I’d purchased a folding nylon bag on wish . com for like $4. It was super nice to use on the ship as a beach bag and took no room in our luggage.

I think we’ve become cruisers. Don’t get me wrong, we’re doing an all-inclusive adults only in Playa del Carmen this fall, but I think at least one vacation a year will be a cruise. We enjoy talking to people at the bars and at dinner. So many wonderful people cruising around out there and so much to learn from them all!