Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Assume you are going straight from Singapore (Changi Airport) to SS GEMINI and straight off boat back to Airport.

Taxis are cheap in Singapore and best thing would be to take taxi from Airport to Singapore Cruise Terminal . Go up to level 2 and there are cafes and waiting etc till check in opens . After you arrive back from the Cruise at the Singapore Cruise terminal it is chaotic . But go out front and take a taxi to Airport. Singapore (Changi) Airport has an excellent day hotel and if time permits you can hire a room and freshen up, shower etc, take a nap before checking in for your return flight.

Officially my latest Star documents say no BYO grog allowed and that they will store it and give it back to you at end of cruise . Corkage if charged in the past has been a hefty $ 18 Singapore per bottle of wine. Star drink prices are however very reasonable (like Australian bar drink prices) . So safe yourself the hassle of BYO and that it is likely to be taken from you, relax and roll with the punches .

Sure is . The countdown clocks count down automatically so Wednesday 30/01 is it - can't wait . Dinner in the Ocean Palace overlooking the stern of GEMINI sailing out of Sydney Harbour at 6.30pm . Somebody's got to do it !!!

Will be thinking of all you pre-booked GEMINI cruisers booked out of Singapore in season 2008. Hope to meet some of you fellow CC Posters departing Hong - Kong southbound to Singapore on Wed 11/06/08 .

This Feb its 18 days of sheer bludging and relaxing on SS GEMINI with the most delightful crew who enjoy the cruise as much as the passengers . What an age we live in - takes 18 days to get to Singapore by sea, but only 8 hours to get back jammed in cattle class like battery hens with QF . Know which I prefer .

Does the SS Gemini do a Singles Meet & Greet on its cruises? I'm a solo traveller and it would be nice to meet others in the same boat (excuse the pun :) )...if not, maybe we can do a Cruise Critic M & G? I'm cruising ex HKG on 11 June.

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi All,

Ging466, they do have a single type meet and greet at a dinner night in the Ocean Palace restaurant,I can't remember how many times as i was not a single, but if you are outgoing you will find no problem with meeting fellow pax's to talk, mingle wine and dine with.

Cheers

Les

Hi Mike,

I too have been having problems with the starcruise website but it appears to be back to normal today.

I am new to the forum but have been following it every day and very interested in your photographs and reading what you have to say about the various cabins onboard gemini.

My husband and I are booked on the Hongkong - Singapore cruise in September and have splashed out on a executive suite (7317) do you have any photographs of this cabin by any chance?

We are very excited about travelling once again on the Superstar Gemini especially as its been eleven years since we last cruised on her. Cant wait!!

Jansim hi, Glad my posts were helpful to you. Unfortunatly I do not have any photos of Suite 7317, but I have been in this suite many times. Although the balcony is smaller than the other suites, the interior space is larger. I particularly like the layout of this suite. I am sure you will be most comfortable staying in 7317.

Hope you have a great cruise and come home with wonderful memories.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I too have been having problems with the starcruise website but it appears to be back to normal today.

I am new to the forum but have been following it every day and very interested in your photographs and reading what you have to say about the various cabins onboard gemini.

My husband and I are booked on the Hongkong - Singapore cruise in September and have splashed out on a executive suite (7317) do you have any photographs of this cabin by any chance?

We are very excited about travelling once again on the Superstar Gemini especially as its been eleven years since we last cruised on her. Cant wait!!

Hi jansim - welcome to CC and the Gemini section in particular.

You mention cruising on her eleven years ago - would you possibly have a photo from that time with the captain on it? (quirky question, I know :D - think we may know him)

Hello Boeckli

In answer to your question about our Superstar Gemini cruise 11 years ago. I have had a thorough search today, turning the drawers inside out and guess what? here is a photo of us with the captain. We would be very interested to hear if you do know him.

Regards

Janet

superstar_gemini_1997.jpg

Hi everyone, yes I am still about and following your cruising with interest.

So Sparkers, I guess some time soon you'll be telling us you've booked!

We did the Sing - HK - Sing, May last year, it certainly is a popular itinerary.... we loved it, apart from the little brush with gastro. I take it that's been sorted well and truly.

Chris1950, doing the HK to Singapore leg, the ship's tours are a good idea, unless you are accustomed to the craziness which is Vietnam!! I wasn't well in Halong Bay, so we just took the ship organised shuttle bus into town, which is over the hill from the dock (there is nothing at the dock) It's a lovely little town and the people are quite laid back in their attitude to tourists, I guess because they see so many boarding the Halong Bay cruises, and also many, many Chinese who holiday there too. Apparently the Bay cruise arranged by the ship came complete with touts, so they had a captive audience, but don't let that deter you, the Bay is magnificent!

Next port, Nha Trang, we got the ship's bus transfer into town, but is possible to walk (about45 min, but damn hot and steamy). Nha Trang is a beautiful bay and beach, which it is renowned for. We dodged the throng where the bus lets you off, (Dam Market) and we walked to find the photographic studio of a fellow who has pics in a series of books, balck and white shots, the books are "Milk", "friendship", can't remember the others. We were very proud of ourselves for finding it. If you're interested I can prob drag out the address. Favourable reports from those who did the City Tour. $1 US is the going rate for a can of beer, or 2 cans soft drink at the markets. The cable car across to the Vin Pearl resort looked interesting, aparently impinges on the dock, so limits the ships that can call there now. The Gemini should have had the clearance to sail under, but the Captain told us he didn't trust the Vn to measure accurately, so he wouldn't chance it. Be interested to know if that's still the case.

By this time my husband had bought a 'beer bucket' on board and our cabin steward kept the ice up to it every day, so he would restock on shore. Never had a can of beer taken from him upon reboarding. Another interesting tip, there is a webcam channel on the TV in the cabin, which is meant for staff only, but when I was sick our steward tuned it in for me, cause we had an inside cabin. (Wouldn't do that again for 3 weeks, but it was ok, got to have the full round trip.) Keep that one to yourself.......... LOL.

Kota Kinabalu, we hired a cab with 2 others we had met and asked him to drive us around town and show us the sights for an hour. Agreed beforehand to 100 ringgits. Ended up being 40 min and 40 ringgits more. Still good. There are nice eateries along the waterfront and the Fillipino markets are cramped but worth a look. Signal Hill Observatory is the local lookout, and you can see the Atkinson Clock Tower from there. Torrential afternoon rain that day, regular occurence.

Kuching. The ship offers a couple of tours, but the most popular was the Orang Utan tour, which was just brilliant. The best place to see them out of KK and Kuching. Chinese food for lunch was the big disappointment, thought we might get something a little more exotic!! We can eat Chinese at home!! The tour we originally booked, which was to the Fairy and Wind cave up near Bau town, was cancelled due to lack of numbers. Just gives us a reason to go back!

Would go back to any of these ports in a flash!! Loved it!! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Tracey.

Hello Boeckli

In answer to your question about our Superstar Gemini cruise 11 years ago. I have had a thorough search today, turning the drawers inside out and guess what? here is a photo of us with the captain. We would be very interested to hear if you do know him.

Regards

Janet

superstar_gemini_1997.jpg

Hello Janet,

Thanks for making the effort but unfortunately it's not him :(. As they have two captains per ship who rotate on a 10 or 12 week basis, this could easily be the case.

thank you tracy for your run down on the gemni trips.will do most of the ships tours as we newbies to asia.hope the bug you had didnt spoil your trip and last to long.have been trying to do the countdown clock for our trip on the 21st may but can find the gemini on the drop down menu for ships:mad:

chris

have been trying to do the countdown clock for our trip on the 21st may but can find the gemini on the drop down menu for ships:mad:

chris

Why don't you do what I did - make up your own text and then just add a basic clock - here's the link to the clock (you can even add some text with the clock) http://countdown.davef.us/

Have fun ... :)

Hello fellow wren! Have been absent for a while, but looking forward to our fourth time on Gemini in July for 60th birthday :eek: I played around with the countdown clock for Virgo and substituted the word Gemini in the URL - seems to work!

Meeting of the wrens ... I saw one of your posts last year just before you cruised and replied, but I think I was probably too late for you to catch it ... did you have a wren in your avatar before?

Good thinking about changing the URL of the countdown clock. I did that previously with the date when it would not display the days on my screen in the CC setup for the clock.