Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Large case will fit under the bed. If it doesn't slide under (because of the bedframe) have someone hold the end of the bed up!

I agree, travel light but I find shoes are the culprit and take up so much room so we usually take one large and one medium case.

3 weeks to go and the travel agent tells us our flight arrangements have been altered, instead of arriving at lunch time on the day of the cruise we find we will now be arriving at 5.30am, expect probably 7 am. ish by the time we pick our bags up, does anyone have any ideas as to where is available to leave luggage whilst having a look around singapore till time to board the gemini.

thanks for replies.

Thankyou so much for the info about the gemini and the kids, we have 2 weeks to go now so am getting very excited. Have been a bit worried about going with the kids and wondered if we had made a huge error of judgement about going with them. Not anymore thanks to you lovely people, you have really put my mind at ease and it is so nice to hear that the staff are excellent with the kids.

Thankyou again so much, will be back probably just before we go and when we get back to let you know how our holiday went.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have hairdryers in the standard cabins. Im sure I read somewhere that all cabins have hairdryers but for the life of me I cant find where I read that now.

Cheers

i have booked my cruise on the gemini thru a internet t.a. but was wondering if anyone has booked with star cruises indendantaly thru the internet .was just wondering if there was huge savings to be made this way,i know i would have to book airfares etc myself.

ps in answer to your question about hairdryers crusing d,kuldalai was kind enough to answer that to me and he said yes

Speed1 - I would go with Kuldalai's suggestion to check with Star Cruises (they do have a Sydney office you could ring if you don't get a quick answer to your email). Also in Singapore there is a check in place in the city, I think it was for Virgo passengers but they may let you leave your luggage there and save extra taxi trip from cruise centre.

cruisin D - I still take my own small travel hairdryer so many on ships or in hotels can be either faulty or very weak. Enjoy your cruise, you and your children will love it!

Vera

keep it very casual. Its very humid in that part of the world - dress for comfort. Dinner my hubby usually just wears a polo or a short sleeved shirt and casual trousers. I just wear either a nice skirt and dressy t or trousers and t. There is a 'formalish' type of evening when the captains dinner is on. Some people get dressed up in their coctail dresses and suits but a lot of people didn't bother. Just not allowed to wear shorts into the dining room in the evening. The rest of the time, its shorts and t shirt and remember the sunscreen. The sun is very hot. - mummsie:)

thanks for advice, now have to think about packing, unpacking and repacking, sticking with casual but am sure to take way too much, think i'll have to take half of it out, looking forward to the malacca cruise

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great info, it's been quite useful.

We (husband-wife and infant) are ocean adventuring naive' and are travelling aboard the Gemini on the 4th of May (yay - 25 days to go) for the straits of Mallaca Cruise.

Questions:

1) What people have done for their shorex tours on the Straits of Mallaca Cruise, does anyone have recommendations? (see below for specific questions)

2) Has anyone actually travelled with an infant on the Gemini- how do they go fitting them in the rooms? I assume they would supply a portacot? (We've already booked an inside cabin)

Kuala Lumpar: ?is it worth going in town. It seems a few people haven't enjoyed it, but I know people who really enjoyed going in and doing the trip up the KL tower (especially the super-quick lifts).

Penang: same people recommended not to bother going onshore. Does anyone know what the shopping there is like (Prangin Mall / Gurney Plaza) and the tropical spice Garden? Any other recommendations?

Phuket: Sea-Canoeing through the caves in Phang Nga Bay - has anyone done it and what did they think? Could I even think of taking a 7month old child on this one? I've gathered that the Fantasea show is worth doing.

Langkawai: Sounds like the cable car is probably worth doing? Any other opinions

Krabi: ?sounds like the water related stuff is the way to go

Otherwise the same people who I spoke to recommended that if there's a group of you going that it can be worth doing your own thing by catching a cab for your shore tours (except Kuala Lumpar), which they did. Just need to make sure you're back on time.

Sorry probably a lot of questions for a newby to ask, hope I haven't overwhelmed you all.:confused:

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great info, it's been quite useful.

We (husband-wife and infant) are ocean adventuring naive' and are travelling aboard the Gemini on the 4th of May (yay - 25 days to go) for the straits of Mallaca Cruise.

Questions:

1) What people have done for their shorex tours on the Straits of Mallaca Cruise, does anyone have recommendations? (see below for specific questions)

2) Has anyone actually travelled with an infant on the Gemini- how do they go fitting them in the rooms? I assume they would supply a portacot? (We've already booked an inside cabin)

Kuala Lumpar: ?is it worth going in town. It seems a few people haven't enjoyed it, but I know people who really enjoyed going in and doing the trip up the KL tower (especially the super-quick lifts).

Penang: same people recommended not to bother going onshore. Does anyone know what the shopping there is like (Prangin Mall / Gurney Plaza) and the tropical spice Garden? Any other recommendations?

Phuket: Sea-Canoeing through the caves in Phang Nga Bay - has anyone done it and what did they think? Could I even think of taking a 7month old child on this one? I've gathered that the Fantasea show is worth doing.

Langkawai: Sounds like the cable car is probably worth doing? Any other opinions

Krabi: ?sounds like the water related stuff is the way to go

Otherwise the same people who I spoke to recommended that if there's a group of you going that it can be worth doing your own thing by catching a cab for your shore tours (except Kuala Lumpar), which they did. Just need to make sure you're back on time.

Sorry probably a lot of questions for a newby to ask, hope I haven't overwhelmed you all.:confused:

Hello, I think you will find it very cramped with a porta cot - the rooms on the Gemini are the smallest we have been in :D but its only for a week so I am sure you will survive.

KL we went shopping - the shopping malls are amazing and very cheap.

Penang we did the Snake Temple tour and it was really good. Not too long.

Phuket we did the Fantasea which was amazing and shopping. Don't shop on the main drag though - there is more shopping a block away which was cheaper. Don't let the locals talk you into buying anything you don't want - they are good at wearing you down. Get used to saying 'no' and walking away. :D

Lankowie was a bit of a disappointment. We went on a Friday when everything was closed. Its suposidly duty free but prices weren't that cheap.

Krabi we missed because the ship couldn't anchor as the swell was too high so we had an extra day in Phuket. The market on the dock at Phuket has really good prices - as good as in town but not as hard on you mentally. :D

We never never take ourselves by cab anywhere - if you get held up you miss the ship. If its a tour they have organised they hold the ship up for you.

Enjoy your trip - mummsie

Penang - We did city pedi-cab tour and it was great . opportunity to shop and IIRC included lunch .

Phuket - We did the full day tour to James Bond Island included lunch and it was sensational . Included visit on return leg to Jewellery factory.

Agree with Mummsie we prefer to take the Star shorex and then if there is a hold up they wait for you . Whereas self discovery get back late and you may well find the boat gone .

When we went up from Sydney to Singapore a senior staff member told me bookings for both legs of the 21 day round trips from Singapore (Asian Oddysey) were very pleasing . They ran 2 of these in 2006, 3 in 2007, and for 2008 a total 6 are scheduled including back to back departures wich allow the 21 day round trip to also be undertaken from Hong Kong on 3 occasions .

These longer duration cruises are very popular with Aussies, Kiwis and an increasing number of people from UK and Europe .

Hi,

This will be my first Cruise, and my first visit to a chat room!:confused:

Can anyone HELP with these questions, Please.

Friends and I are booked on the Gemini, out of Hong Kong on 21st May 08, for a 21 day cruise.

Our main concerns are, Laundry Facility's. Is there a laundry room on the Gemini, where we can do our own washing and ironing?

Are there Tea Making facility's in DA cabins. Cabins no's are 6105 - 6106.

How expensive is it to have your laundry done for you?

On my travels through Europe on coach tours , we found it very expensive to have our laundry done, and found laundromats when possible and did our own. I spent a small fortune in Paris on laundry!! I don't think this will be possible on this trip:rolleyes:!!!!

Mary.

Q. Our main concerns are, Laundry Facility's. Is there a laundry room on the Gemini, where we can do our own washing and ironing?

A: Well they certainly are not most passengers . NO the re are no do it yourself facilities . Laundry service is available daily at reasonable charges. Refer Star Navigator or your Cabin Steward.

Do your own smalls, blouses, shirts in bathroom and there is a fold out line for same in shower. Save your big stuff on the first leg for last day into Singapore , and on second leg last day into HK and they usually have special bulk laundry offer .

Forget about your Laundry and enjoy the cruise you are supposed to be on holidays .

Q. Are there Tea Making facility's in DA cabins.

A: 6105 & 6106 are forward inside Staterooms on Deck 6 . All Staterooms on Gemini I have been in have tea and coffee making facilities, and are also supplied with two bottled water free daily . Tea and coffee avaialble free 24/7 at Marriners Buffet on Deck 6 aft . Tap water in cabins is desalinated and quite safe to drink also .

Q. How expensive is it to have your laundry done for you?

A: Charges are reasonable . And you can take advantage of special offers featured in Star Navigator newsheet delivered to your Stateroom daily . Again dress casual, it is not a fashion show; relax forget about your laundry, soak up the Gemini magic and enjoy your cruise .

Q. Our main concerns are, Laundry Facility's. Is there a laundry room on the Gemini, where we can do our own washing and ironing?

A: Well they certainly are not most passengers . NO the re are no do it yourself facilities . Laundry service is available daily at reasonable charges. Refer Star Navigator or your Cabin Steward.

Do your own smalls, blouses, shirts in bathroom and there is a fold out line for same in shower. Save your big stuff on the first leg for last day into Singapore , and on second leg last day into HK and they usually have special bulk laundry offer .

Forget about your Laundry and enjoy the cruise you are supposed to be on holidays .

Q. Are there Tea Making facility's in DA cabins.

A: 6105 & 6106 are forward inside Staterooms on Deck 6 . All Staterooms on Gemini I have been in have tea and coffee making facilities, and are also supplied with two bottled water free daily . Tea and coffee avaialble free 24/7 at Marriners Buffet on Deck 6 aft . Tap water in cabins is desalinated and quite safe to drink also .

Q. How expensive is it to have your laundry done for you?

A: Charges are reasonable . And you can take advantage of special offers featured in Star Navigator newsheet delivered to your Stateroom daily . Again dress casual, it is not a fashion show; relax forget about your laundry, soak up the Gemini magic and enjoy your cruise .

kuldalai, Thanks so much for your quick response, and answers to my qustions. Very Helpfull. I do intend to enjoy myself, although I am still trying to justify this cruise. I have only just returned from 3 months in Europe. I know...... I need the sunshine and warm weather!!!! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Mary.

Thanks so much kuldalai, for your quick response and great advice.

I do intend to relax and enjoy myself (once I get there!!!!).

I am so used to doing coach tours, this cruising is all new to me:confused: I am still trying to justify this cruise.....as I only returned from my last trip to Europe in Dec 07, and was away for 3 months. I know....I need sunshine and warm weather. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Any other helpful advice would greatfully accepted:)

Is there anyone else out there going on this same cruise?

Mary.

Wow...I have spent most of today reading back through these pages, and was amazed to find such a friendly little community. I feel like I know some of you form reading your posts. I panicked a little when I read about the Norovirus, and felt so sorry for those affected by it. I then realized that if you spend a day in an air conditioned shopping center you will pick up someones bugs. Such a shame to happen on holidays though!

I feel a bit of a fool asking questions when the information was there all the time :o

Mummsie....you are so right about the coach tours, having to have the case outside the door at a certain time, then down to breakfast and be on the coach to leave, usually all before 7.30am. Then do it all again the next day!!!! I am so looking forward to this cruise, it sounds so relaxing.

Mary.:)

hi mary me and the wife will be on the gemini sailing from hong kong on may 21st to.we only doing the first part of the trip will leave the ship at singapore.this will be our first trip to asia after sailing the med for many years.we cant wait althou we might have only the cloths we standing in after the mess b.a.are making with luggage at heathrow .so if you see two people looking a bit raggered it might be us lol