Busy in New York Port

powersl

Some of these ships are possibly going to the terminal in Brooklyn, but even with three ships, it will be crowded(it will be a mad house). But it clears out quickly as long as you are not in a rush its not a problem. Unless they have changed the flow, the limos go the same place as the cabs and private cars.

It may well be a madhouse.

Way back in Sep 02, we sailed into NYC on Golden Princess, on a Sunday, 6hrs late due to Atlantic storms, and we were the third ship in, with another arriving shortly after us.

There were only enough customs/immigration/teamsters to handle one ship at a time, and cabs and busses could barely get close to the dock.

It was a bad ending to a wonderful trans-Atlantic, and a lot of us missed flights - total chaos. Princess did a great job under difficult circumstances arranging new flights, hotels, etc.

Travel can be an adventure!

You won't have a problem getting a cab.. they'll keep coming to the port area as long as there are people needing cabs. You may have to wait for a little while before you can get into one though. They load the cabs in a pretty orderly fashion though.

Getting a limo or car service wouldn't really save time though. All of the cars have to get in and out of the same area, whether they're cabs, taxis, or individuals' cars.

thanks, So because we are not in hurry to get off the ship, we could just hang around in our room or whereever and then when things slow down, get a cab? The ship calendar says, carvinal 8am, queen mary 2 6:30, Dawn 7 am, Sprit 10 am, and crown princess 7:15 AM. Sure sounds like there is only to be a mad house.

thanks, So because we are not in hurry to get off the ship, we could just hang around in our room or whereever and then when things slow down, get a cab? The ship calendar says, carvinal 8am, queen mary 2 6:30, Dawn 7 am, Sprit 10 am, and crown princess 7:15 AM. Sure sounds like there is only to be a mad house.

You can go across the street (if you can handle your luggage) and grab a cab OR have your limo/driver waiting across the street.

Be sure to have your limo driver's cell so he can assist you w/luggage.

Not a mad house if you arrange it ahead of time:)

I thought it was chaotic on 1/2/2006 with just the Dawn - it's a very poor arrangement with arrivals and departures "sharing" the same space. We arrived at the pier noon or so and there were people coming and going. The curb was lined up with luggage of folks going home and it was difficult to get through them (the best of NYC's politeness :)).

Debarkation was easy early - but there were not many arrivals yet.

That said . . . I don't know if things will slow down before they evict you from the ship. Good luck.

thanks, packing lightly sounds great but the chances of that are slim to none. We mean well and talk the talk but in the end the suitcases will be full and heavy. So I hear get off early which should not be a problem as we are in a penthouse. Then either cross the street or we should be able to get a cab. We will be in no hurry as we are spending the night in NY so we will have nothing but time, but I really would like to spend it in NY city and not at the Pier if I can plan it right.

All i can say is, be ready for alot of headaches. We returned from our Zenith cruise a couple years ago to five ships at the NY terminals. They were, The QM2, Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Miracle, Carnival Triumph and Zenith. The port does not absorb that many passengers well at all especially considering the last major rehab that it underwent was around the time that the average ship was 20-25,000 GRT. Have a wonderful cruise :)

what kind of headaches or problems. I was thinking only problem would be getting a cab? Limo might help with that? Also I figured with that many people coming off ships and going back on that there would just be an extra ordinary amount of people. So what do we do?

The ship calendar says, carvinal 8am, queen mary 2 6:30, Dawn 7 am, Sprit 10 am, and crown princess 7:15 AM. Sure sounds like there is only to be a mad house.

You indicated that your sail date is in Sept. '06. The QM2 starts using Brooklyn piers in April '06, with plans for Carnival and Princess to start using Brooklyn piers at an as yet unspecified starting date. So that at least eliminates the QM2 for sure, with two others "possibly" not being there. Still a busy day since Dawn and Spirit are both large ships. IMHO, having a PH, I would vote for being off with the first group after the "express", just be sure that the concierge knows to put you with the V.I. P. group that is first off. The longer you stay on, the closer to the time the Spirit arrives with another crowd of people, plus you won't be encountering many of the early arrivals for embarkation for the next voyage. The cabs should be "relatively" easy to get at the earlier time, too.... not to mention the "porters" inside the terminal. Usually when the PH's get off, there is no having to stand and wait in the "porter" line either, as they haven't set one up yet.

To answer your question, we encountered our ship not docking until almost 10:30, we just sat bobbing in the water. Once we were docked, and the ship cleared, we were not able to disembark, i am not exactly quite sure what the policy is, but i am thinking maybe only 1 ship can disembark at a time. We did not walk off the ship until alomost 12:30, and we were the first ones off as mom is handicapped :eek:. Even with all that mess though, i can't stay away from the port of NY, there is just something about sailing out of there. And as long as you take off the following day from work (i dub this my port of NY stress relief day) you will be fine :)

Thank you for your advise. Getting off early will be good and if we only have three that will be better and with luck there will not even be three. Off early sounds good and then to hotel, spend the day being in New York and then home the following day. OK Packing lightly sounds good but it will never happen - I have pages of stuff that everyone has said not to forget - Hum. DH wants to bring a tux and dress on formal night. He likes getting dressed up - so that will be extra by itself. Has anyone did the rent a tux from the ship? I think I heard that was possible but then how does he get fitted for it?

Thanks

Archived