Celebrity MoveUp

Iainmac

Even before final payment prices were considerably reduced.  I inquired about a reduced payment and got the usual cancel and rebook.  At the time I could not find any cabins that suited so did not go through with the hassle even with a considerable saving.  After final payment date there were some much reduced prices even for suites.  I was most annoyed the other day to receive a MoveUp offer where you tender for an upgrade, in other words pay even more for cabins that you can get for less than I originally paid.  I'm not very impressed with Celebrity.  Other companies often upgrade those that paid a higher price in the first place and not try to screw them for more money.  Am I being unreasonable thinking like this ?

Iain

Most cruise lines are doing MoveUps/upsells these days. Usually they have overbooked lower category cabins and underbooked higher category cabins, so they try to make more profit by convincing people to pay to move to a better cabin. I'm not sure how the Celebrity offer would work since it involves bidding.  I was a little bit tempted by the thought of upgrading to Aqua Class as I'd love to try Blu but I don't like the location of those cabins so I just ignored the MoveUp offer I got. Typically there is little choice of higher grade cabin left so you might end up in a part of the ship that doesn't suit you ie forward or under the pool or something. 

We also had a Princess upsell once which was half the cost of the difference between the inside cabin we booked and the balcony cabin they were offering, and at that price it wasn't cheaper than the best price I'd seen those balcony cabins for. Again we just ignored it.

Unfortunately there is always someone who thinks they are getting a bargain and bids or accepts the upsell offer, so free upgrades are few and far between these days.

Not unreasonable, but not up to date with current business trends.

It's one of those things that are rolling out as businesses look to make more money.

It doesn't make good value but where there are enough people willing to pay for the upsells, as there are, these large businesses are keen to extract more profits from customers.

Another recent example is "The Key," a way for some customers to buy priority ahead of other passengers.